The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Question about Maths modules

Hey.

Basically, here's the situation. At the moment I'm studying M208 and MST209, both towards BSc Maths.

There's a compulsory module Exploring mathematics (MS221) which was already full when I registered for the other two.

So, since M208 and MST209 are more advanced, there's absolutely zero sense in taking MS221 after them.

What I'd like to know is, whether it would be possible to take an extra level 3 module instead of MS221? Or even level 2 stats/physics/astronomy/whatever?

Also, I should have about 90 credits from my previous study to cover the level 1 and free choice modules. So once I'm done with M208 and MST209, I'll have 150 credits left to do to get the degree. Would it be possible to do in one year?

Basically, I wanna take 5 level 3 modules in October 2012. 4 compulsory, plus 1 to substitute MS221. Could this work?
Reply 1
If you want the maths degree you'll have to do the compulsory module. There's people with a string of L2 & L3 science modules doing my course, S104, because they want the BSc Natural Sciences. What some people do to skip having to do compulsory modules they don't like or consider unnecessary, is to switch to the Open degree. The disadvantage is that some employers may have an issue with the degree title if say they've specifically asked for a maths degree. You may not get a chance to explain that your Open degree is a maths degree in all but name. But those are your choices.

As for doing 5 L3 modules in one year, I thought Gridiron Gangster with his 4 was keen!! :biggrin: He might be able to advise on this. It's not so much the credits, it's the problem of say having to submit up to 5 TMAs within a week of each other and revising for several exams at the same time. Tricky!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
If you want the maths degree you'll have to do the compulsory module. There's people with a string of L2 & L3 science modules doing my course, S104, because they want the BSc Natural Sciences. What some people do to skip having to do compulsory modules they don't like or consider unnecessary, is to switch to the Open degree. The disadvantage is that some employers may have an issue with the degree title if say they've specifically asked for a maths degree. You may not get a chance to explain that your Open degree is a maths degree in all but name. But those are your choices.

Damn, that sucks. Are they that strict about it? No exceptions?
It even says in the module description
By the end of the course you will have encountered many of the topics that are developed in later mathematics courses, in particular in our main second level courses Pure mathematics (M208), and Mathematical methods and models (MST209).

Guess I'll have to phone and try to reason with them. I'm not even asking to give me free credits or anything, I wanna take a more advanced module instead, so I don't waste time and money on something I have already covered in greater depth.

I don't particularly like the idea of Open degree. But my plan is to do Masters at some brick uni. In most places the requirement is "2.1 degree with significant mathematical content" or something similar. So if I go for Open degree and then do Masters, then I guess Masters becomes the main selling point to employers. I'll have to think about it..

As for doing 5 L3 modules in one year, I thought Gridiron Gangster with his 4 was keen!! He might be able to advise on this. It's not so much the credits, it's the problem of say having to submit up to 5 TMAs within a week of each other and revising for several exams at the same time. Tricky!!

I won't be working full time, and I'm familiar with some of the material, so I should be fine, as long as they let me take 150 credits.
Reply 3
Original post by Victor C

I think they are that strict but you can try to persuade them otherwise.
Reply 4
It even says in the module description

Guess I'll have to phone and try to reason with them. I'm not even asking to give me free credits or anything, I wanna take a more advanced module instead, so I don't waste time and money on something I have already covered in greater depth.

I don't particularly like the idea of Open degree. But my plan is to do Masters at some brick uni. In most places the requirement is "2.1 degree with significant mathematical content" or something similar. So if I go for Open degree and then do Masters, then I guess Masters becomes the main selling point to employers. I'll have to think about it..

I won't be working full time, and I'm familiar with some of the material, so I should be fine, as long as they let me take 150 credits.

If they say that it is compulsory, then you have to do it. The only way round would be to apply for credit transfer if you have studied a module elsewhere that is similar in content and even then it's a bit of a long shot.

Also, just looking at the professional recognition leaflet for the Institute of Maths and its applications and it mentions MS221 as a recommended course so perhaps that might be something to consider? idk.

I really doubt that they would let you take more than 120 credits in one year. Officially they don't let you and I've heard of people trying to do more and they weren't allowed. To be honest, I can't imagine anyone doing 150 L3 maths modules would be able to cope with all that work! If I were you I would do 90, then 60 credits and because I would have less work all at once I could really use that time to try and do everything I could to get a first.
Reply 5
You can do an open degree with more maths in it than B31:smile: but if you want the mathematics named degree you have to have MS221.
If you want to attempt 150 credits in a year though, having MS221 as 30 of them might ease the burden somewhat. If I recall correctly they will contact you to make sure you know what you're doing but as long as you can convince them you're not nuts you should be fine.

I know very little of how competitive postgrad can be but it sounds like the 2:1 is the minimum required to apply. Eighteen months ago my plan was to get a degree as quickly as possible but now it's to nail a first and use my spare time to find interesting maths outside the curriculum (partly because Feb starts in maths died, partly because TA means I can't unlink any modules I sucked at any more)

If your interests are inclined that way you could slot SM358 and/or SMT359 into your maths degree and take advantage of Feb 2013 starts but that might still set your postgrad back a year if starts are in October.
Reply 6
Original post by sputum
I know very little of how competitive postgrad can be but it sounds like the 2:1 is the minimum required to apply.

I was reading an interesting article which said that UK postgrad education is in a right state at the moment. Universities would like to raise Masters fees significantly but the problem is that UK Masters students numbers are already falling rapidly as it is. Any increase would virtually kill off the domestic demand. Even foreign student numbers are expected to fall over the coming years as other countries such as India start competing more in the English speaking international student market.

People in the postgrad forum have said that outside of Oxbridge and a few other places there's little competition for postgrad places, so if you have a 2:2 and even a 3rd in some cases, and can pay, you're in!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
wow, I don't know whether to feel better or worse:biggrin: hope the course choices don't get cut down by the time I graduate (like the OU just did with undergrad pure L3s)
Reply 8
Hey. Got another question here.

Looks like Maths B31 (what I'm on now) is getting changed to Q31. And it looks like there gonna be new rules for credit transfer. These are the regulations for B31, and these are for Q31. So instead of 80 maximum transferable credits, there gonna be 120. I'm guessing MS221 won't be compulsory anymore.

So, is it possible to transfer to this Q31? I haven't declared my transitional qualification yet.
Reply 9
Hey. Got another question here.

Looks like Maths B31 is getting changed to Q31. And it looks like there are gonna be new rules for credit transfer. These are the regulations for B31 and these are for Q31. So instead of 80 maximum transferable credits there gonna be 120. I'm guessing MS221 won't be compulsory anymore.

So, is it possible to transfer to this Q31? I haven't declared my transitional qualification yet.
Reply 10

Looks like Maths B31 (what I'm on now) is getting changed to Q31. And it looks like there gonna be new rules for credit transfer. These are the regulations for B31, and these are for Q31. So instead of 80 maximum transferable credits, there gonna be 120. I'm guessing MS221 won't be compulsory anymore.

As I understand it, you can only get TA funding towards a B qualification; if you want to do a Q qualification, I believe you can transfer to it but you'd be giving up your entitlement to TA, would have to pay the higher fees, and the funding available for this would be through student loans.

Also, I don't know whether the exact information on what modules are compulsory and what not for Q-world degrees is available yet (the qualification pages start out quite specific and then get rather wooly), but I wouldn't bet the farm on it being more flexible than the current system. All the indications seem to be that the Q qualifications are more rigid in terms of what you have to do and in what order (and how much you can put towards the same degree) rather than less. The jump from "It'll be possible to transfer in 120 credits" to "MS221 won't be compulsory anymore" is quite a big one. (Pure speculation, but I can see an argument for upping the amount of credit transfer to 120 credits as a way of making it easier for students to transfer into the OU if they've done a year's worth of study at a brick uni, for instance.) You may be up for dropping TA and taking on a student loan if it enables you to study a better pathway, but I would really advise having the conversation with the OU about MS221 - and the rest of the Q programme, as well, tbh - first and getting absolute confirmation that you wouldn't have to do it.

Quick Reply

Latest