The Student Room Group

Police haul truant children to school

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/9352140/Police-haul-missing-pupils-from-their-beds-in-drive-to-cut-truancy.html

Well its nice to see our tax money being spent in such a productive manner even if it is rather amusing ...

Thoughts and views on this?
Yes, yes, truanting is against the rules, we know, but are you honestly going to tell me that the police have nothing better to do?
I would hope that the police have better things to be doing.

However I can't help but feel that it'd be a kick up the backside that some of them need!
That won't make the children value their education and will probably only attenuate the overall productivity of the class.
Truancy? It's not a serious crime in its own right but skipping school will create opportunities for mischief and, unless they just stay at home all day, mixing up with other bad apples. Then once they are no longer of school age and have no proper skills or qualifications they are a big crime risk. So I see this more as a form of necessary early intervention than anything else.
Reply 5
It is a shame because it shows that some parents are incapable of sending their own kids to school.

But kudos to the police..
(edited 11 years ago)
Good to hear.
Like what? If they were urgently needed or were short staffed they would adapt and go where they're more needed instead?
Reply 8
Original post by ScheduleII
Truancy? It's not a serious crime in its own right but skipping school will create opportunities for mischief and, unless they just stay at home all day, mixing up with other bad apples. Then once they are no longer of school age and have no proper skills or qualifications they are a big crime risk. So I see this more as a form of necessary early intervention than anything else.

Glad you think this! I thought I was the only one who saw it that way.

However it is possible that by doing this kids will start showing off about the police themselves having to deal with them... it'll be interesting to see how/if it works in the long term
Tbh it should be their parents who should be facing the legal action for allowing them to truant. I mean there's wandering around town at lunchtime until the end of the day and then there's complete ignorance. Oh, did you give them keys so that while you're at work they can sneak back in? Don't give them keys then.
Original post by Snagprophet
Tbh it should be their parents who should be facing the legal action for allowing them to truant. I mean there's wandering around town at lunchtime until the end of the day and then there's complete ignorance. Oh, did you give them keys so that while you're at work they can sneak back in? Don't give them keys then.
That will only cause them to wander around more, become increasingly bored, and do more undesirable things to pass their time.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by whyumadtho
That will only cause them to wander around more, become increasingly bored, and do more undesirable things to past their time.

Well they throw themselves under a bus so I imagine they need strapping down right?

Sorry, it's just that there never seems to be an end to these things.
I wonder how people would feel about this system if employers called on police to make sure adult staff turn up to work.
Good. Hopefully it'll sort out the trouble makers before they begin to cause bigger problems later on.
Reply 14
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
I wonder how people would feel about this system if employers called on police to make sure adult staff turn up to work.

Big difference with that is that employies are not legally obliged to turn up to work (of course then the employer is not obliged to pay them).
Populism.
Should haul the parents off to the local police station and then flog them.
Reply 17
Isn't this because they're cutting Education Welfare Officers? Meaning police have to be hauled in from more useful tasks to fulfil this function instead.
Reply 18
What a pity, laws already existed for parents to be jailed if their brats were playing truant or being consistently late, except the courts stood in the way as usual.

Quick Reply

Latest