The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Canadian unis tend to have cheaper tuition than US ones overall because they're more heavily government subsidized, or at least that's my understanding...I could be wrong.
Umm...why are UK universities cheaper than US ones? It's pretty obvious, isn't it?
Reply 3
Well there's one way in which Canadian unis are more expensive...application fees! I paid over $350 USD to apply to 4...and I'm not going to any of them :frown:

But that really doesn't matter in the long run since tuition is cheaper.
Reply 4
shady lane
Umm...why are UK universities cheaper than US ones? It's pretty obvious, isn't it?

No, its not. Plz explain.
Reply 5
a lot of US unis are private, or have minimal government funding. so they need to make their money through student fees. often, the public unis are funded by the state and not the national government, and so will charge less to in state residents (who pay the taxes that fund the school) but nearly (not quite) the same as private schools to out of state residents.... which would mean anyone international too.
at least, that's always been my understanding of why it costs so much more to study here than in canada or the uk, or really anywhere.
i dunno, a part of me thinks it it should be a right for anyone who does well enough in school to be able to go to uni... but so many people here cant afford it, or go into HUGE amounts of debt. and yet we say that we value education for all of our citizens in this country... hmmm.
Reply 6
Move to Canada? :biggrin:
goomba86
Well there's one way in which Canadian unis are more expensive...application fees! I paid over $350 USD to apply to 4...and I'm not going to any of them :frown:

But that really doesn't matter in the long run since tuition is cheaper.

I don't think application is that expense for domestic students. It certainly wasn't anywhere near that when I applied 4 years ago and I doubt it is today.
Reply 8
Public US unis (heavily funded by the government) are much, much cheaper than private unis which recieve little to no government funding. Tuition for a public uni can be around $7,000 versus the $40,000 for a private uni. It's a big misconception that US schools are always very expensive. It's just that the bigger, more well-known schools are usually private.

I would guess that Canadian unis receive the same kind of government funding, enabling them to charge a lower tuition.
Reply 9
tristebelle
Tuition for a public uni can be around $7,000 versus the $40,000 for a private uni. It's a big misconception that US schools are always very expensive.

Any rigorous, well-known public uni (ie, the ones worth going to, in my opinion) will be much more than 7k for tuition (out-of-state)--at least 15k, up to 20k (for tuition alone). Unless you go in-state, it's safe to say that US education is incredibly expensive.

Latest