The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Look I'm just going on my own personal experience. I attend a university that I would place about 9th or 10th on the City recruiting list. I believe there was a university list on here about a year ago that placed it 16th or 17th.

According to your profile you study at the LSE! Probably not placed 16th/17th on the league table if my memory serves me correctly.
Reply 1081
Breitling
Look I'm just going on my own personal experience. I attend a university that I would place about 9th or 10th on the City recruiting list. I believe there was a university list on here about a year ago that placed it 16th or 17th.

This year for IBD internships, I have been offered interviews at all of the BBs (apart from GS that haven't started yet) and I do not believe I am particularly special.

Maybe I have just been extremely lucky.....who knows...

and thats what drogue said. there are some people like you at less prestigious unis, but there are very very few of them.thats why most of the intake is from oxbridge, lse imperial.
v2006
What course do you do and at which uni?

PM me and I will tell you. Not really prepared to reveal it on here.
Redeyejedi
According to your profile you study at the LSE! Probably not placed 16th/17th on the league table if my memory serves me correctly.

That is incorrect. I don't know why that was there. It's now modified.:smile:
Reply 1084
so basically all of you that have commented above are saying if i do my economics degree anywhere else besides lse/oxbridge i would find it difficult to get a job????????!
wazzup
and thats what drogue said. there are some people like you at less prestigious unis, but there are very very few of them.thats why most of the intake is from oxbridge, lse imperial.

OK well if that is what Drogue said then his response wasn't relevant to my post. I stated that, ultimately, it is not desperately important for you to be at the top 5/6 if you are good.

Most FO interns and grads are from those 5/6 unis, I agree, but I really don't like the idea of people on choosing their university based on what people say on this forum.
Reply 1086
Breitling

This year for IBD internships, I have been offered interviews at all of the BBs (apart from GS that haven't started yet) and I do not believe I am particularly special.

Maybe I have just been extremely lucky.....who knows...

I realise you're going on personal experience, and very well done for that. However your original statement suggested what you were saying was fact. I accept, some people do get interviews from less-respected universities, and indeed offers, but they're few and far between - many statistics showing the intake of various BBs have been posted here showing that point. Thus to state, seemingly as fact:

Guys I don't know why everyone tells you this on TSR but you really don't need to be at one of the top 5/6 at all. If you are very good and from a decent uni i.e. (Top 12/13), you will get interviews at all the top banks. From that point on, university means absolutely nothing.

Could be quite misleading, since clearly, looking at statistics, university choice matters an awful lot when it comes to getting an offer.

Personal experience is great, and useful to post, but when you try and state things as fact based on that experience, especially when it's contradicted by many people's personal experience and by statistics that have been posted, it's pretty misleading.

My point was quite simple:
Going to a top university makes you more likely to get an interview and an offer. For some places, it makes your chances drastically better (I remember people posting grad programmes at some banks with no non-top 5 UK-educated students), whereas for others it won't have so much effect. But the advice you gave is misleading as it's based on your personal experience and contrary to many other people's and to the statistics that have been regularly posted.
Reply 1087
Breitling
OK well if that is what Drogue said then his response wasn't relevant to my post. I stated that, ultimately, it is not desperately important for you to be at the top 5/6 if you are good.
That is not what you said at all. You said:

Guys I don't know why everyone tells you this on TSR but you really don't need to be at one of the top 5/6 at all. If you are very good and from a decent uni i.e. (Top 12/13), you will get interviews at all the top banks. From that point on, university means absolutely nothing.

I'd say not being at Ox, Cam, LSE, UCL, War, Imp can be an advantage.

There's a huge difference between that and what you're now saying. All based on personal experience, why the statistics quite clearly show that it is an advantage to go to a top university.

I'd agree, it's not good to choose a university based on what is written here, but then I wouldn't advise choosing a degree based on employability for a specific career at all. Choose youre university based on where you'd do best.

University does mean something from that point on, and the vast majority of people will not get interviews from all the BBs if they don't go to a top university. You have done, which is great, but most people won't, as has been posted many times from many people's personal experiences.
Reply 1088
jus-mi
so basically all of you that have commented above are saying if i do my economics degree anywhere else besides lse/oxbridge i would find it difficult to get a job????????!

No. You may find it tough to get a front office investment banking job, and may also find it tough to get a top strategy consulting job, but for almost anything else it wouldn't matter too much to go somewhere else. Even then it's not impossible, it just makes it more difficult.
Reply 1089
What is your experience with a SOAS economics degree regarding FO positions or IB jobs in general? As there is a quite different approach (specializing in geographical areas and markets) I would like to hear your opinion about it. Are the leading banks interested in SOAS students and their 'special' knowledge? Regarding the posts so far, probably not?!

Thank you.
Reply 1090
SOAS vs Loughborough economics, which stands a better chance to get into IB?
Reply 1091
neither
Reply 1092
Yeah... nice one....

I'd wager Loughborough, just. I personally feel that they've got a good 'up and coming' Econ department.
just for ur info i met someone who went to Loughborough and then did an MSc at LSE and now works at GS.

U got a small chance of getting into IB if u went Loughborough but further postgraduate study at a target Uni will give you a great chance for FO
Reply 1094
if you are sporty go to loughborough. if u very good try to play for uni. thinks like rugby and rowing for uni look very good on your cv. a lot of people, particularly in MA are rugby lads.
Reply 1095
Furthermore, Mr. Drogue the Chancellor of the Exchequer has recently criticised, the FSA (the very organisation you work for), over the crisis stating it was poor regulation which excarbated this situation, this must reflect poorly on the FSA as an organisation and the people who work for them. Perhaps if you all collectively did your jobs properly Britains first bank run since the 19th century could have been avoided.
Lol emotions are running high here lol, and as usual they're not positive emotions lol. A question for you IB mystro's out-there. Is getting into a management consultancy harder/as hard as getting into a BB FO job?

Cheeeerrrsss!
Reply 1097
Cass (city) - Investment Financial Risk Management

or

SOAS - BSc Economics

-----

Which would be best for MO if its not good enough for FO ?
Reply 1098
soas tbh
very difficult question. The Cass business school has a good reputation with IB banks particularly for post grad. But having the City university name attached to it is a turn off so i would go SOAS.

Latest

Trending

Trending