The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Scroll to see replies

Say we get accepted by the university next week, is there an accommodation deposit that needs to be paid before arriving? If so, when and how much? Is it then refunded/taken off the first term's bill, or is it the type that you still pay normal accommodation fees, however at the end of the year if your room's in a suitable condition you receive your deposit back?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
orionmoo
Say we get accepted by the university next week, is there an accommodation deposit that needs to be paid before arriving? If so, when and how much? Is it then refunded/taken off the first term's bill, or is it the type that you still pay normal accommodation fees, however at the end of the year if your room's in a suitable condition you receive your deposit back?

I *thought* you could still pay the first term once you'd got there. I could be wrong, I don't remember exactly.
I'd be surprised though if the Uni accom service doesn't email you to tell you about payment dates soon.
Miss_Scarlet
I *thought* you could still pay the first term once you'd got there. I could be wrong, I don't remember exactly.
I'd be surprised though if the Uni accom service doesn't email you to tell you about payment dates soon.

So no £150 deposit or anything before we get there?
orionmoo
So no £150 deposit or anything before we get there?

I don't remember exactly, maybe someone else does?
They will email you about it either way I expect, so don't worry just check your email often in case :-)
Deposit? O_o There wasn't a deposit last year. No idea if things have changed but I don't see any reason to - all they do is charge you separately if you break anything during the year. As for payment dates, it's usually the end of the second/third/fourth week of each term (it varies).
May sound like a silly question, but how is Tocil pronounced?
I've always said Toh-sl, but one of my friends says Toe-sill, and another says Toh-kl. Which is it???
orionmoo
May sound like a silly question, but how is Tocil pronounced?
I've always said Toh-sl, but one of my friends says Toe-sill, and another says Toh-kl. Which is it???

Pretty much everyone says it as toe-sl, some says toe-sill... that's fine

Toh-kl is just strange.
I've never heard "toe-sill" or "toe-sl", that sounds a bit posh? :p: Everyone I know says toh-sill or toss-il. Definitely not toh-kl though :smile:
Ok. so two contradictory viewpoints. I think we agree on the ending. Sill/sul/sl whatever your dialect dictates. But is is "Toe", as in my big toe or "Toh" as in the o in orange.

This is going to bug me until I get an answer I'm satisfied with lol
orionmoo
Ok. so two contradictory viewpoints. I think we agree on the ending. Sill/sul/sl whatever your dialect dictates. But is is "Toe", as in my big toe or "Toh" as in the o in orange.

I'm not going to claim to be right, but as I said, I've not heard anyone say it as "toe" in one year at Warwick. To be honest I was almost 'worried' this time last year that someone was going to laugh at me if I said "tok-il". It's a question that's asked every year :p:

Anyone else?
secretmessages
I'm not going to claim to be right, but as I said, I've not heard anyone say it as "toe" in one year at Warwick. To be honest I was almost 'worried' this time last year that someone was going to laugh at me if I said "tok-il". It's a question that's asked every year :p:

Anyone else?

Really? I just thought it was just me over-examining the names haha.
Reply 1511
Does anyone know How many people share the common room in cryfield?
Is it one for each floor or is it one common room for the whole block?
Reply 1512
orionmoo

Its Toh-sill
Rhymes with fossil.
you do occasionally hear people say Toe-sill. The name is bound to remain somewhat up in the air when the residents get changed every year and any authority on the subject can be 3 year old authority at oldest :wink:
Chrrye
Its Toh-sill
Rhymes with fossil.
you do occasionally hear people say Toe-sill. The name is bound to remain somewhat up in the air when the residents get changed every year and any authority on the subject can be 3 year old authority at oldest :wink:

what if its someone whos gone straight into postgrad after undergrad :p: :woo: ?
That's what I meant. Like Chrrye said...rhymes with fossil. This phonetics problem is getting silly.

And to answer two4one's question, it's one common room for the whole building.
Toss-il
Reply 1516
abrp
what if its someone whos gone straight into postgrad after undergrad :p: :woo: ?

Well. you know, postgrads.... :wink:
Reply 1517
Paradiddle_man

And to answer two4one's question, it's one common room for the whole building.

Thanks.
....Thats alot of people then lol
Reply 1518
hi, i was just wondering which accomodation is better at warwick - ive heard good things about arthur vick, is there any other good ones?? thanx
Do we get a little dustpan and brush/mop or access to a vacuum cleaner for little accidents? Just need to know as I am making a bit of a shopping list. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending