The Student Room Group

Birmingham Medicine Applicants 2011!

Scroll to see replies

killfestab
sorry to bother you, but:

being an international applicant, not knowing much about the UK medical system etc. what do u think i should be prepared for in a b'ham interview:

1) structure of nhs -> and what exactly? like foundation trusts etc? or what can they ask about nhs
2) Role of NICE
3) Role of GMC
4) Role of MHRA
5) Royal college of surgeons
6) MMC
7) And there are some things like EWTD, Practice based comissioning, payment by results?

is that list good enough?
What else should i read up on?

I wish I was as motivated as you...
Reply 41
Does anyone know what Birmingham class a Double BTEC Distinction Plus as? My school and everything else have classed it as 2A* which would give me 9A*?
Reply 42
lbavfc
Does anyone know what Birmingham class a Double BTEC Distinction Plus as? My school and everything else have classed it as 2A* which would give me 9A*?

They should class it as 2A* but I'd email them, just to check.
Reply 43
Applying there, but seem to be the only one who is doing the IB...
Does anyone have experience with applying to Birmingham with IB?
Any help is greatly appreciated! :smile:
Reply 44
I'm definately applying!!! :biggrin:
I'm really excited about all of this, although my personal statement needs some serious work on it to bring it up to scratch!!
Probably applying, going to the Open Day tomorrow to make sure. Everything I've read about it is positive.
Reply 46
Did anyone go to the open day today, how did you find it ?!?
any graduates here applying to B'ham undergraduate course? Apparently they don't look at Graduate's GCSEs at all, as long as you meet the minimum English requirement.
I went to Birmingham open day today and I loved it! Definitely applying there :biggrin: I got total mixed messages though.

I spoke to an admissions guy and he said that if I left my AS results as pending, that would be something to discriminate me by (although I have 9.5A*s and my prediction is 4As) and my hurt my chances of getting an offer.

But then the guy who was leading the talk on getting into Birmingham said that they DO NOT look at ASs AT ALL. Then a bunch of pushy parents started asking ridiculous questions but that pretty much reiterated that point - it literally is the more A*s you have, the more likely you are to get an interview.

Who do I trust here? :frown:
Reply 49
colabottles
I went to Birmingham open day today and I loved it! Definitely applying there :biggrin: I got total mixed messages though.

I spoke to an admissions guy and he said that if I left my AS results as pending, that would be something to discriminate me by (although I have 9.5A*s and my prediction is 4As) and my hurt my chances of getting an offer.

But then the guy who was leading the talk on getting into Birmingham said that they DO NOT look at ASs AT ALL. Then a bunch of pushy parents started asking ridiculous questions but that pretty much reiterated that point - it literally is the more A*s you have, the more likely you are to get an interview.

Who do I trust here? :frown:

Go with the A*s at GCSE imo. Pretty much the only deciding factor for who gets an interview. You aren't borderline (like 8A*s is), so other factors shouldn't matter to you.
ManicJM
Go with the A*s at GCSE imo. Pretty much the only deciding factor for who gets an interview. You aren't borderline (like 8A*s is), so other factors shouldn't matter to you.

Yeah that's what I was thinking :p: Thank you!
Reply 51
colabottles
Yeah that's what I was thinking :p: Thank you!

Did you manage to ask them/ hear of the gcse A* cut off this year. I have 9A* so hoping i will get an interview.
Spongy
Did you manage to ask them/ hear of the gcse A* cut off this year. I have 9A* so hoping i will get an interview.

The guy leading the talk said that the cut off was 8A*s last year and will be that again this year. He said that this is probably the very peak of how high the cut off point will be and they don't know if this will go down or stay at 8 again.

But I think you can safely say that you've got good, strong, non-borderline GCSEs :smile:
Reply 53
colabottles
The guy leading the talk said that the cut off was 8A*s last year and will be that again this year. He said that this is probably the very peak of how high the cut off point will be and they don't know if this will go down or stay at 8 again.

But I think you can safely say that you've got good, strong, non-borderline GCSEs :smile:

Thanks for that, it is funny how they still publish 7A*'s in their prospectus.
Spongy
Thanks for that, it is funny how they still publish 7A*'s in their prospectus.

Well, I know that prospectuses are quite behind from what's actually going on, like Liverpool have AAB in their prospectus and now it's AAA/b! :p:
Reply 55
colabottles
Then a bunch of pushy parents started asking ridiculous questions but that pretty much reiterated that point - it literally is the more A*s you have, the more likely you are to get an interview.

Where you in the 1.30 pm talk by any chance? :p:

Those questions were silly...they were literally asking the same thing over and over again :rolleyes:

This being said I absolutely loved Birmingham!! I really liked it before the open day but I am now truly in love :love:

Here's hoping for an interview (at least) :please:
Andrii
Where you in the 1.30 pm talk by any chance? :p:

Those questions were silly...they were literally asking the same thing over and over again :rolleyes:

This being said I absolutely loved Birmingham!! I really liked it before the open day but I am now truly in love :love:

Here's hoping for an interview (at least) :please:

Omg are you the girl who I was talking to with a pink t-shirt who was on the tour with me too? :eek3:
Freedomrise
any graduates here applying to B'ham undergraduate course? Apparently they don't look at Graduate's GCSEs at all, as long as you meet the minimum English requirement.

I'm a graduate, but i am applying to the 4 year course. Desperately hoping for an interview! Are you applying to any GEP courses?
Reply 58
Do you guys think 8.5 A*'s (.5 being short course) will be safe for an interview? I have 3 A's as predictions obviously as well.

They said 8 was safe and 7 was a maybe (likely) at the open day but I just want to know if you guys have heard anything else. They said at the open day some people with 7A*'s got interviews last year.
Reply 59
colabottles
Omg are you the girl who I was talking to with a pink t-shirt who was on the tour with me too? :eek3:

Omg yes! :eek: Well I was wearing a pink tshirt...and went on the tour with that second (?) year guy...can't remember his name. Anyway the tour which kept loosing people!

Small world! :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending