The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Georgia
The best place to learn songs from is the tab books where you have the notes and the tabs...they are bloody expensive though!

Absolutely! My instructor's given me a couple of songs where there's a tab as well as the written music... so useful! I don't know about the expense though, I think maybe I'll find one of those books for myself...
Reply 41
HEY
id like to join the guitar society
i have been playing since I was little (now 24!!)
play mostly classical, starting playing again recently as hadnt for a year or two
anyone got any classical guitar pieces ranging from about grades 6-8 that they want to share would be good, looking for new music at the moment!

also i am a girl :bunny: :bunny:
Reply 42
Georgia
Even though its cool to read notes i prefer tabs because a G, for example, could be anywhere. The tabs tells you where, not the notes. The best place to learn songs from is the tab books where you have the notes and the tabs...they are bloody expensive though!

yeah, I personally like tabs more
Reply 43
A_Singh

So, sure they don't tell you everything... but I think there should be three cheers for tabs!

Hip Hip!

hip-hip horaay, hip-hip horaay, hip-hip horaay!!!!
Reply 44
gordon2002
hip-hip horaay, hip-hip horaay, hip-hip horaay!!!!

Lol, that's the way. :biggrin: :tsr:
Reply 45
Look I got a little picture next to my name. Im so proud i figured out how to stick it in. Its so pretty....

well well. guitars.
I know this guy that has been playing for like...5 months... and he has a frikking Gibson! I hate him. I should have that...

I really like the new song from Depeche Mode - The Pain that I'm used to. Its not my kind of music but Im liking it, listening to it right now. :elefant: He he...thats like me dancing.
Reply 46
since we all play guitar - question:
what do you prefer, gibson or fender?

personally i like the deluxe US tele above them all - but then again - a gibson super-400 :eek:

what are your opinions?
Reply 47
which do I prefer? I don't know, I havn't had the pleasure of using both
Fender. Gibsons are so heavy! Plus once you've played a £1500+ custom strat there's no going back (from really wanting one).
what type of guitar you play: Yamaha Pacifica 112/Gibson Les Paul Standard/Gordon Smith Gs2
your favourite guitarist: tough one, between justin hawkins, brian may and angus young
3 of your most favourite pieces/songs: start me up (rolling stones)
love on the rocks with no ice (if you have to ask then sorry, google it)
wish you were here (pink floyd)
Reply 50
Right, count me in :P

what type of guitar you play: Super strat/ESP Explorer
your favourite guitarist: Alexi Laiho, Malmsteen :biggrin:, Zakk Wylde
3 of your most favourite pieces/songs: ermm... Far Beyond the Sun, Zombie Ritual... and... Life on Mars/Ziggy Stardust by the incredible Bowie
Reply 51
what type of guitar you play: electric - fender mexican strat/fender american deluxe telecaster - and i wanna buy a hollowbody soon
your favourite guitarist: wes montgomery/joe pass - sorri cant choose
3 of your most favourite pieces/songs:
joe pass - blues in G
wes montgomery - airegin
guns n roses - sweet child o' mine
and a 4th (because i cant just pick 3) has to be lol lobos - cancion del mariachi
Woo! Our guitar family is growing!
Reply 53
wow, there are quite a few guitarists I havn't heard of... must check 'em out
Reply 54
I forgot to write down my top three favorite songs....Its really hard. Probably they would be:

1. Space Oddity (David Bowie) Im a fanatic...seriously.
2. Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd) As well...
3. The Post War Dream (Pink Floyd)

Ive never played a gibson...so I cant say...
Reply 55
If you guys and gals could own ANY guitar at all, what would it be and why?

:biggrin:

Also, is it a foolish plan to spend a huge amount on my first guitar?
I play already, this is just the first i'll own myself.
Reply 56
Hey i play bass can i still join?

I play a Fender Jazz and its the looove of my life, have only done grade 4 in the rock school grades, boy the tunes they make you play on that are soooooo lammme! I play bass in my schools soul band and salsa band and sometimes sax ensemble lol

Annnyways pleaaase let me join!
Reply 57
TommyD

Also, is it a foolish plan to spend a huge amount on my first guitar?
I play already, this is just the first i'll own myself.

my second guitar was like over a grand and i had only been playing for a very short while - buy an expensive guitar! its just so much nicer to play and you'll start really appreciating music better - the pride and enjoyment you'll get will MORE than outweigh the cost - PLUS (as if you need more encouragement, its a great investment - esp if you become famous! :eek: )

what were you thinking of buying? and what kind of stuff do you aspire to/already play?

oh and on another note (slight musical pun there) does anyone know a good, cheap hollowbody guitar? i just cant afford a gibson 335 :frown:
I wouldn't say buy a really expensive guitar for a first one, if you don't really get into it then it's a costly investment. But as a second one definitely, spend as much as you can!
Reply 59
Smokyjoe123
what type of guitar you play: Yamaha Pacifica 112/Gibson Les Paul Standard/Gordon Smith Gs2
your favourite guitarist: tough one, between justin hawkins, brian may and angus young
3 of your most favourite pieces/songs: start me up (rolling stones)
love on the rocks with no ice (if you have to ask then sorry, google it)
wish you were here (pink floyd)

Guitar I play: Westfield Pro Series Electro-Acoustic.
Favourite guitarist: Tough one, I don't know many. John Mayer, Chris Carrabba, Jack Johnson, Jim from Jimmy Eat World.
3 Favourite Pieces/Songs: Under the Bridge (red hot chili peppers), No Such Thing (john mayer), The Best Deceptions (dashboard confessional).

None of those songs/artists are probably what anyone would call brilliant or amazing... but they are in my opinion, because I like their stuff so much lol. I've not heard any of the classics like Led Zep or Pink Floyd, so my judgements are very...narrowly-based :biggrin:.

Latest