The Student Room Group

Law exam hra!!! Help!

Hey,
I have an exam on friday, and i have noooooooo idea how to get started and i know nothing! i know Human Rights Act is coming up, but i have nooooooo idea what kind of question is going to come up, and my revision so far is non-existent....does anyone have any notes, useful sites, or any questions on HRA! Any help would be very useful!

thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by chlorine
Hey,
I have an exam on friday, and i have noooooooo idea how to get started and i know nothing! i know Human Rights Act is coming up, but i have nooooooo idea what kind of question is going to come up, and my revision so far is non-existent....does anyone have any notes, useful sites, or any questions on HRA! Any help would be very useful!

thank you!

Look at past exam papers!!
Also, what area of law is it?
Reply 2
Our uni is ****! they havent given us any past papers, and we have no idea whether it's an essay or problem question! our syllabus has the topics:
the debate on human rights act (bill of rights)
HRA and convention rights
excluded articles, protocols, and other limitations
interpretation
compatibility, and incompatibility
remedies, and procedure
public bodies, time limits
effect on private law
privacy

and the worst thing is, that even when i try i cant concentrate or understand it!
Reply 3
Our uni is ****! they havent given us any past papers, and we have no idea whether it's an essay or problem question! our syllabus has the topics:
the debate on human rights act (bill of rights)
HRA and convention rights
excluded articles, protocols, and other limitations
interpretation
compatibility, and incompatibility
remedies, and procedure
public bodies, time limits
effect on private law
privacy

and the worst thing is, that even when i try i cant concentrate or understand it!

HRA questions tend to be essay based. They normally ask if the approach taken by national courts towards a particular area is consistent with the Convention and what effect the HRA has had on that area.

You should be able to find past papers online somewhere.....my uni has past papers on the library website. Are you a law student? If so, what area of law will be the question be coming under, i.e. public law, property law, family law etc

Out of interest, what uni do you go to?
Reply 4
public, and i go to middlesex -_-

i'm trying to write out a template for the exam so i only have to add certain things but i dont even understand what the important things to know are....
Reply 5
public, and i go to middlesex -_-

i'm trying to write out a template for the exam so i only have to add certain things but i dont even understand what the important things to know are....

These are some of the questions that have come up in our past public law exams:

“Behind the construction of ss.3 and 4 [of the Human Rights Act 1998] was a carefully thought-out constitutional arrangement that sought to inject principles of parliamentary accountability and transparency into judicial proceedings without removing whole policy areas to judicial determination.” (Klug, 2003)
Critically assess Klug’s assertion.

‘It can now be seen that, in the hands of the judges, the Human Rights Act 1998 provides UK citizens with a robust guarantee of their rights and liberties.’
Discuss.

“What actually transpires will depend crucially on the use that the judiciary makes of the central provisions of the HRA, but the constitutional scene is now set for the now legally legitimate but still democratically problematic exercise of political power by judges in the British political system.” (Campbell, 2002).

Critically examine whether the Human Rights Act 1998 has seen the politicisation of British judges.

Of course your course structure will be different so don't rely entirely on this.
Try asking your lecturer to give you questions from the past. Other than that, there's nothing more i can suggest....every uni has a different course structure.
Reply 6
thank you!!! it's my first year so grasping how to actually understand and answer the questions is really hard, i just wish they narrowed down the topics they just said we had to go over 7 units! :0
Reply 7
thank you!!! it's my first year so grasping how to actually understand and answer the questions is really hard, i just wish they narrowed down the topics they just said we had to go over 7 units! :0

you'll be fine, it gets easier over time.
Write some essays, and see if your lecturer would be willing to go through them with you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending