The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Dinwiddy House

So I've got an unconditional offer for SOAS and I was wondering what Dinwiddy house is like? From what I've seen it looks quite basic, but is it tidy and clean? Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No one from Dinwiddy :question:
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
Original post by Eternal Crescendo
So I've got an unconditional offer for SOAS and I was wondering what Dinwiddy house is like? From what I've seen it looks quite basic, but is it tidy and clean? Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I'm there ATM and think it's a perfectly decent halls of residence. Rooms are of a good size and you get your own ensuite (more of a wet room) but still. Kitchens are spacious, plenty of cuboard space, 2 fridges, 1 freezer, 2 ovens. Socially, it's not the greatest place - I would have preferred to go Intercollegiate but all in all it's a good value for money place to live.
Reply 3
Original post by LZRSWRD
I'm there ATM and think it's a perfectly decent halls of residence. Rooms are of a good size and you get your own ensuite (more of a wet room) but still. Kitchens are spacious, plenty of cuboard space, 2 fridges, 1 freezer, 2 ovens. Socially, it's not the greatest place - I would have preferred to go Intercollegiate but all in all it's a good value for money place to live.

a wet room? :s
Original post by LZRSWRD

Thanks for the reply. I was also wondering if UK and international students are mixed together in Dinwiddy and how many people you are sharing the flat with? Also why is it socially not the greatest place?
Reply 5
As a person currently living in Dinwiddy, in my opinion it is not bad at all. Firstly, the rooms are all ensuite (whereas most intercollegiate halls have shared bathrooms and showers) and the rooms themselves can be quite spacious. Yes your bathroom is basically a wet room as the shower is not actually seperated from the floor. But that is not a huge problem. Secondly, living in Dinwiddy is significantly cheaper than intercollegiate halls. You pay around 130pw as compared to 160-250. For 130pw, thats the cheapest living you will find in central London as this includes electricity, heating and even wifi. Hope this helps
Original post by HKDSP
As a person currently living in Dinwiddy, in my opinion it is not bad at all. Firstly, the rooms are all ensuite (whereas most intercollegiate halls have shared bathrooms and showers) and the rooms themselves can be quite spacious. Yes your bathroom is basically a wet room as the shower is not actually seperated from the floor. But that is not a huge problem. Secondly, living in Dinwiddy is significantly cheaper than intercollegiate halls. You pay around 130pw as compared to 160-250. For 130pw, thats the cheapest living you will find in central London as this includes electricity, heating and even wifi. Hope this helps

What speed is the broadband in Dinwiddy? Thanks
Reply 7
Hi i have an unconditional offer from SOAS, and have been looking into accommodation i was wondering what people thought of the UNITE accommodation, and weather or not SOAS students actually go and live in them ?, as i live in london i doubt i will get a place at dinwiddy, is there any other accommodation you recommend
Reply 8

Hi, just wondered why it isn't socially the greatest place? (Also looking for which accommodation to put down for soas.
I'm going to SOAS in the summer ( if all goes well) too and I've heard from both extremes! Yeah I'd like to know about the Wifi speed, whether it's a boring place to be generally, and whether it could support a tv etc :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Eternal Crescendo

Ah, Dinwids, or rather ****-widdy I'd call it. Back home my room used to be spacious, not any more. I literally feel claustrophobic here. I like the fact that it is en-suite, but don't appreciate the wetness (especially with the carpets- what the heck were they thinking?); nor the fire alarms which ring at the oddest hours (usually goes bonkers in the first month of residency, then sparingly). For £138 per week it is the best deal you can find in central- there are some people who love this place, some people who have moved out because their flat mates (you have five-six) ate all their food and the kitchen was disgusting, and there is me who needs more space to be productive.

As long as you have nice flat mates who pick up what they use and wash their plates, you should be fine.
Reply 11
I'm seeing a very balanced argument with Dinwiddy, but I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt.
But, how is the Wi-fi and how are people place into accommodation?
Reply 12
Original post by spacepup
I'm seeing a very balanced argument with Dinwiddy, but I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt.
But, how is the Wi-fi and how are people place into accommodation?

Wi-fi = you pay for in a one off payment; you get a DSL port (you buy the £5 cable... BUY YOUR OWN CABLE WHICH IS LONG AND YOU DON'T GET SCAMMED INTO BUYING THEIR OVERPRICED STUFF.)

Also, just a friendly tip, buy a single bed sized duvet cover, pillow cases, and bed sheets, and a duvet and pillows before coming to Dinwiddy. They sell the same during fresher's week at an astronomical price. One thing you could do is order the sheets online, get them sent to Dinwiddy (with your name) and let it sit there until you arrive. Do the same with text books ect. (do not listen to **** that they say.. i.e. they have no storage ect.. they do)

and how you get in? I suggest actually reading the SMS site- it explains it really clearly.
Reply 13
I've applied for Dinwiddy House but I made the mistake of choosing to live with my own gender.

I don't know if this will decrease my chances of staying there so I was wondering if there are certain halls inside Dinwiddy that are just girls or just guys, or is the entire residence mixed?
Reply 14
Original post by ShunTara
I've applied for Dinwiddy House but I made the mistake of choosing to live with my own gender.

I don't know if this will decrease my chances of staying there so I was wondering if there are certain halls inside Dinwiddy that are just girls or just guys, or is the entire residence mixed?

don't worry about it, being with your own gender usually guarantees a clean kitchen (extremely important!)
I'm dead serious.
Also, I'm in a same-gender flat. It's peaceful and you don't usually get the sex sounds at 3am as other flats due to thin walls.
Worried i'm gonna be with slobs now. Just wondering how everyone transported their stuff to London? Like did you pack it all in the car and just haul it to London? I have clothes and loads of **** to bring to Dinwiddy. And so we can order bedsheets etc to dinwiddy before we arrive? that's pretty helpful!
Reply 16
Original post by RichardJapanese
Worried i'm gonna be with slobs now. Just wondering how everyone transported their stuff to London? Like did you pack it all in the car and just haul it to London? I have clothes and loads of **** to bring to Dinwiddy. And so we can order bedsheets etc to dinwiddy before we arrive? that's pretty helpful!

Or you could do what all other freahers will be doing.. i.e. sleeping on jumpers as pillows for the first few nights.
TBH, i'm an international and came late due to visa issues, 4 days into freshers, and I came with a parent. Mom's luggage had half my stuff.. you could buy the stuff on ikea online, get them to send to you but the dinwiddy admin will not be too happy- but oh well.
Get:
duvet
bed sheets
pillows
glasses
mugs
plates
bowls
forks
knives
spoons
a pan
a kettle
a lamp (essential if your room basically faces a wall)
paper clips
pens
pencils
writing pad

with this, you should be good to go!
Original post by butter_god

duvet
bed sheets
pillows
glasses
mugs
plates
bowls
forks
knives
spoons
a pan
a kettle
a lamp (essential if your room basically faces a wall)
paper clips
pens
pencils
writing pad

with this, you should be good to go!

Thank you so much for this! So there's enough space in the kitchen for all of our individual stuff? that's a load off my mind! Yeah I might do that, I'll just order it all to dinwiddy haha. I guess I'll just bring the contents of my wardrobe and other random stuff with me in suitcases!
Reply 18
Original post by RichardJapanese
Thank you so much for this! So there's enough space in the kitchen for all of our individual stuff? that's a load off my mind! Yeah I might do that, I'll just order it all to dinwiddy haha. I guess I'll just bring the contents of my wardrobe and other random stuff with me in suitcases!

well, in my flat's kitchen, 2 of the 6 girls don't cook, so there is more than enough room, plus we have a rack on the counter to dry dishes on which turned out to become a storing area. The only problem I would say is people taking over by fridge shelf because I usually get groceries daily (I blame my cheese and fruit addiction).
when you come, please bring sheets, duvet, and pillows for a single bed, otherwise you're going to be using your clothes as sheets and jumpers as pillows for a couple of days! and buying the said items from dinwiddy is highway robbery
The list is not complete, but it should get you through a week or so. If you ned stationary, go to Rymans which have a student discount. Go to Sainsbury (in Angel) to do your shop and Chapel Market is lovely (I'm going there in a min to get some nice cheese). Also, the shops around Chapel Market should carry plates/ glasses ect (but if you find a rummage sale, go get the stuff from there! I go 5 crystal glasses for £2 because the owner did have a use for them.. I doubt she knew how much they truly were worth).
Get textbooks off amazon and get them delivered to dinwiddy- just needs your name, not flat number- the staff will keep the books around.. basically you'll not have to carry those things from bloomsbury to dinwiddy (I have a shoulder problem and weights make it worse).
Also, the first few days you'll be partying ect, do not bring your bank card with you- otherwise you'll end up spending much more than you planned. OR simple don't drink more than one drink at the clubs.
Original post by butter_god

Also, the first few days you'll be partying ect, do not bring your bank card with you- otherwise you'll end up spending much more than you planned. OR simple don't drink more than one drink at the clubs.

Thank you so much for this! You've help massively! I was worried that SOAS students didn't like partying because of little bits of information I had heard! I'm sure If I pack 3 suitcases well enough I can bring enough things to last me in soas! Are there washing machines on site?

And I will definitely be on a bargain hunt for good cutlery! We also share a love of cheese too, I adore feta and halloumi. I think the last thing I need to do is set up an overdraft in my account. Once again, thank you! I was really worrying about getting all of my bits and bobs down to soas! I'm ordering the comfiest sheets and pillows haha xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending