The Student Room Group

Access To Film for a Mature student?

Hi everyone,

I have been looking through some threads today, but found only bits and pieces of information relevant to me.

Could someone recommend a decent access to higher education course in film? I am looking for something in London, Edinburgh, Manchester or Brighton (quite a selection, eh?).

I know I can simply go through colleges from each city, but there are SO many! so, if anyone knows which ones are particularly good, please feel free to share your opinion.

----

Another point - I have an AS level in Film studies (Grade B) and a BTEC Award in Media (Distinction), but I don't believe this would be enough to apply for a university, would it? I have professional experience and a showreel, but would that get me through? Thoughts on that would be appreciated, too.

Thanks!
Reply 1
I know you posted this thread several months ago, so you may well have made your decision by now, but I was in a similar situation, where I had an AS in film studies, and a professional showreel and wanted more formal film making education.

I applied to Northampton, City of Birmingham, AUCB and Kingston. I was unsuccessful for all of them except Northampton, which I have accepted.

The course at Northampton is an HND in filmmaking, which is a 2 year course, after which you can do a top-up year in Media Production or similar.

Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Surely it's better to get experience in production rather than a degree, very few big film makers have a degree in 'Film Making'. Apply to production companies as a 'runner' or similar, and work your way up before starting your own productions is probably the best way about it, in the three years you'd be in education, you could probably have risen pretty well up the ladder
Reply 3
the thing is (and i mentioned this on my personal statement) as a runner, you don't get much time to learn how to use equipment in the chaos of a film set (i know this from experience). Your tasks as a runner are generally things like making the tea/coffee, setting marks with tape, holding something in place, etc.
Then there's starting your own projects (short film and documentary). I've made 3 short films so far. I've found them good for learning skills like directing actors and producing, but again I'm looking for a good all-round knowledge of all aspects of film-making, and when producing your own projects, it's quickest to recruit experienced people in whatever role you're looking for.
I've tried approaching production companies even for unpaid experience, but even then the competition is fierce. I've had responses from some saying that the experience I have is good, but I need relevant qualifications. Going directly into the industry works for some people, but I feel I would benefit greatly from a university degree.
Finally, quite a few 'big filmmakers' have a degree in filmmaking, including James Wan and Leigh Whannell (Saw, Dead Silence), and M Night Shyamalan (The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs).
To Skip_Snip, please don't take this post the wrong way, I just wanted to explain my answer above, and to respond to your answer. :-)
Reply 4
I think the dedication to obtain a degree is a good enough reason. As a mature student I had dismissed university from an earlier age and went to work as a care worker...I developed a passion for film-making, made two short films but was still at a dead end. Going back to college as taught me so much!!! and also fuelled me to continue and complete my education while still going for my goals in the film industry. At the end of the day when I achieve a degree, no on can take that away from me...so it's not all about getting a job in film, but the life achievements as well.
Reply 5
Original post by BexiG
I think the dedication to obtain a degree is a good enough reason. As a mature student I had dismissed university from an earlier age and went to work as a care worker...I developed a passion for film-making, made two short films but was still at a dead end. Going back to college as taught me so much!!! and also fuelled me to continue and complete my education while still going for my goals in the film industry. At the end of the day when I achieve a degree, no on can take that away from me...so it's not all about getting a job in film, but the life achievements as well.

Well said!
This is really helpful. I am also considering a career change and entering into film and currently doing a lot of research into this. The choice of film schools is wide and I cannot decide whether to go to a traditional university or attend a 2 year degree at one of the many film schools on offer. I have started by doing some evening classes in Screenwriting and considering a short course which covers all relevants topics such as directing, producing, editing a short 16mm film at a London film school, to see if its for me. The field is highly competitive so those that have demonstrated they have covered all areas of the topic within an academic environment are likely to be more attractive than someone who does not have a relatable degree. One thing to note is the power of networking through social media, and I don't mean FB. If you want to get some experience or exposure to this industry, align yourself to people who have gone on this journey and find others that can open doors for you. I highly recommend LinkedIn for this purpose - smart people who have the same motivatation and drive as you. I would also consider attending as many networking groups and if possible, find a way to be introduced to as many production companies. I am starting with screenwriting and have started to read everything about it and of course learning from the best by downloading critically acclaimed scripts, to understand what works. If anyone can suggest which degree courses in fim for mature students that would be great.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending