The Student Room Group

Why are raspberries so expensive?

I mean they grow reasonably well in this country during the summer, so they're hardly rare or exotic and they don't require much looking after to grow either. For these reasons, I would have thought that they'd be much cheaper than they are. (Also, raspberries also can grow during spring and autumn in greenhouses, which is wear the majority of supermarket British raspberries are sourced from). I didn't think that they'd count as a luxury item when anyone with a garden can just grow them.

edit:

I mean this was £2.50 at Sainsburys during the summer. :lolwut:
(edited 11 years ago)
Perhaps because they are easily damaged, many have to be thrown away before being sold, so you have to grow quite a lot more than can actually be sold. I don't really know the reason why they are so much, but that might be a reason.
Reply 2
Well at the minute they are out of season so that'll explain the price now.
Original post by Tabers
Well at the minute they are out of season so that'll explain the price now.

But even in the summer it'll be like 60p per 100g (Asda)
Reply 4
Original post by hollywoodbudgie

That's cheap
Reply 5
Original post by hollywoodbudgie

As someone else has said that does seem quite cheap. But anyway strawberries are still quite expensive in the summer as well. Raspberries may grow in the UK but it depends on how many places do grow them commercially and the demand for them.
Reply 6
I have to agree. I hate that they're so expensive considering they're my favourite fruit :frown: I like to pick my own though (when there are no spiders lurking about obviously)
Don't worry about it OP, have a bag of crisps instead.
Reply 8
Original post by DontJudge
Shut up you middle class faggot.

Regardless of class 60p isn't exactly expensive.
Reply 9
Original post by DontJudge
With 60p you can by a large carton of milk and white sliced bread.
Why on earn would you waste money on rasperies? Which don't even fill you up, and it's ever so small.

If you get where i'm coming from.

And TSR seriously cannot take jokes, everyone is so depressed and stressed, just chillax for gods sake and take a bloody joke!

By that definition. You could argue that raspberries are a sort of treat/luxury. And if you're paying 60p for that luxury by almost any definition that's a bargin.

Also your comment didn't exactly come across as a joke (one issue with text as a medium of communication). Although I do apologize.
Original post by limetang
By that definition. You could argue that raspberries are a sort of treat/luxury.

Exactly. It's treated as a luxury when it shouldn't be because it's a bog standard fruit that anyone could just grow in providing that they've got a garden with space. Also see my edited post for an example.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by limetang
By that definition. You could argue that raspberries are a sort of treat/luxury. And if you're paying 60p for that luxury by almost any definition that's a bargin.

Also your comment didn't exactly come across as a joke (one issue with text as a medium of communication). Although I do apologize.

Working class people never spend on 'luxery' items, only 'needs' not 'wants'.
Well the majority of them don't.
But with rasperies, it doesn't even account for a snack.
Even Ice pop, i remember it used to be 5p, now the mdfker is 25p! :eek3:

Nah i weren't saying it to just you, I was saying to the whole of TSR.
They just don't understand the idea of 'banter'.
Ohh cmon my jokes are funny. :hmmm:
Why did the one-armed man cross the road?

Spoiler

Reply 12
Well now that they are taxing pasties, they should subsidise healthy foods such as raspberries and blueberries etc.
Manual picking and quality control mean that it takes a long time to harvest enough fruit that meets UK/EU regulations on food standards.
Reply 14
1. They're absolutely delicious and I buy an obscene amount at all times of the year, so I push the price up for the rest of you guys :wink:
2. I'm guessing they go off pretty quick, so transporting them about will need to be quick = expensive = passed onto consumer.
3. And probably has a relatively inelastic demand (I will pay almost anything for a good box of raspberries, but maybe that's just me) so the price can be that high.
Reply 15
Because the supermarkets want to rip us off ):

Don't even get me started on blueberries - £3.99 for 125g = DAYLIGHT ROBBERY.
Reply 16
So are blackberries- which btw are kinda rare- i can't find them very often- which sucks, coz they are yummy.
Blueberries are currently £4 for that same box.

Quick Reply