The Student Room Group

If I apply to do a BEng degree, can I then decide change to complete a MEng degree?

Basically I'm applying to do Chemical Engineering and the Uni I'm applying to
has different entry requirements for the BEng course and the MEng course, so since I have my heart set on going to this Uni, I was thinking of applying for the BEng course (since entry grades are lower and have a greater chance
of getting in) with the intention of changing to complete a MEng degree midway through (since the first 2 years of the course are identical).

Can you do this? Or if you apply to do a BEng are you restricted to doing this?
Reply 1
Well at my uni (Loughborough) both BEng and MEng students do the exact same 1st year, meaning you can upgrade/demote yourself depending on your exam results. Can't speak for other uni's though.
Reply 2
Original post by shaunbrockhill
has different entry requirements for the BEng course and the MEng course, so since I have my heart set on going to this Uni, I was thinking of applying for the BEng course (since entry grades are lower and have a greater chance
of getting in) with the intention of changing to complete a MEng degree midway through (since the first 2 years of the course are identical).

Generally BEng and MEng students will do the same course for at least the 1st year, with an opportunity to switch at the end. Check with the relevant admissions office, but it's likely you can switch. Seeing as BEng requireare normally at least a grade or two lower, I don't really know why universities offer them

In short, yes it's almost certainly doable!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3

Yes you can, as far as I'm aware the first 2 years of that course should exactly be the same, its during the last year where the modules are slightly different, so as long as you are doing well you can change to the MEng course.
In my uni BEng and MEng like you said are the same for two years, so if you get more a first in second year at mine they ask whether you would like to move up to MEng for third year if you are on BEng. So there is room to change.
Original post by CoffeeStinks
In my uni BEng and MEng like you said are the same for two years, so if you get more a first in second year at mine they ask whether you would like to move up to MEng for third year if you are on BEng. So there is room to change.

Okay, so generally, it's possible dependent on how well you are doing on the course?

What about Study Abroad options? Same principle, the Study Abroad course has to be a part of MEng course so you require the better grades... will it possible to discuss this aswell, if you dont orignally apply for it?
Reply 6
I was under the impression that you have to finish a BEng and then apply for a MEng?
Or is it just in some subjects? I'm hoping to go to Edinburgh university and have applied and i didn't even get the chance to apply for MEng?
Reply 7
Okay, so generally, it's possible dependent on how well you are doing on the course?

What about Study Abroad options? Same principle, the Study Abroad course has to be a part of MEng course so you require the better grades... will it possible to discuss this aswell, if you dont orignally apply for it?

It depends on the uni, but usually this is possible.

However, it will be easier with student finance if you do it the other way round.
Original post by Juno
It depends on the uni, but usually this is possible.

However, it will be easier with student finance if you do it the other way round.

THIS

Apply for the MEng - if you don't get the grades then most unis will just accept you into the BEng anyway but if you can always try to get onto the longest course possible (and then swap down if need be).
Reply 9
At Southampton you could change up to the end of 3rd year, provided you had an average of 55% if you wanted to carry on to the MEng. Some options were only open to MEng though, such as year abroad.
Reply 10
It is certainly doable, but if you go from BEng to MEng, sometimes student finance won't fund you for the extra year. But if you go from MEng to BEng, they are normally more than happy to fund you for one less year.
generally from my experience, universities tell you to apply for the MEng, from which you can drop down to a BEng and not the other way around. But it depends on the university - my friend got 3-4 offers from the same university...>_>...which implies that if you aren't sure, apply to both. But again, it depends on the uni.

Yeah pretty much from easiest to hardest it goes BSci then BEng then MEng so if you work hard during your BEng they will most likely let you change to MEng. The exams that you take for both of them during first and second are exactly the same so it's not like you would be behind if you join them in third year.

Well my course was a sandwich course so I'm not too sure, but I suspect that if your year abroad was between 3rd and 4th year then you got onto the MEng beginning of third year I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to do it. But I'm not sure so just phone up the uni.

:smile: Hope that helped at all.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending