The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Try and go for at least two good, solid arts (English Lit and History ideally, others such as Philosophy/Theology are an option).

One social sciences is useful (geography, politics, psychology)

And I'd try and get at least one science or modern language.

Just try and get a good range of solid, theoretical subjects and make sure you get those As!

There are many threads about this, have a look around to find out more.

Edit: - Try and stay clear of subjects such as general studies, critical thinking, ICT, media studies, DT etc. THese are usually blacklisted. Manchester have a good section on blacklisted and less preferred subjects. Remember though, this is MAnchester and does not necessarily apply to all unis.

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/search2008/atoz/course/?code=01052&pg=3

As for "best unis" then these may not necessarily be the best unis for you. I'm assuming you intend on practicing in England and Wales (not Scotland). Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, UCL, KCL - these are the sorts of uni the magic circle and top firms will be largely recruiting from. Nottingham, Warwick and some of the red brick unis (such as Manchester, Bristol, Leeds, Newcastle and Birmingham) are the best of the rest.

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/gug/gooduniversityguide.php?AC_sub=Law&sub=&x=28&y=5

But this doesn't necessarily mean to say they are best for you. Do you mind which part of the country you want to study in? Are you looking for a small city, large city or town? There are a host of personal things that need to be considered, uni choice is quite subjective. Don't get bogged down by this yet though. You've got plenty of time in which to mkae a decision. Just keep in mind that the top unis I've outlined aren't the only options.
Maths
English
History

One of: French, Chemistry or Philosophy

Well, that is what I would do.

:smile:
Yeh you can't go wrong with doing Maths and English lit at A level
Reply 4
Sorry, pet hate, but please don't say lawyer. One of my irrational pet hates lol

They say a combination of arts and sciences

Personnally, I think Englsih + another essay subject is a MUST

I do Maths, Chemistry (to show logical thinking) English Literature (to show structure and argumental ability) History (to show analysis) and Fine Art (because I love it)

I love them all, but it helps that it makes me look well rounded

End of the day, do ones you'll enjoy, you'll be best at them
Reply 5
Nothing is compulsary, but it does help to have something like history or english, not for actually getting accepted but more to help you - as writing skills are needed for the course... plus you have to write an essay for the LNAT exam if you apply to any of the LNAT unis.

That said, I'm going to do law next year at either Warwick and Bristol and i did neither of those subjects...
Reply 6
thank you :smile:
I dont really mind what part of the country i go to and how far it is away from home.
x
I agree with most people that it's good to have at least one essay subject, but I don't think it needs to be English. That was my worst subject at school and I certainly wasn't going to take it for A-level, but I did history instead and them chemistry physics and maths and it hasn't done me any harm! But overall you should take what you're best at and can get As in, because at the end of the day it realy all comes down to grades at the end of it and you're going to need AAA to get somewhere really good, preferably AAAA at AS level for when you apply. Good luck anyway, first step is to ace the GCSEs you are no doubt sitting (or going to sit in the near future, at least!).
Reply 8
yeah ive got down at school to do, chemistry, pschology, but need to think of two others, only thing is i hate english. dont know whether its coz all we do is poems, because i love the other side or not :s-smilie: lol.
Yeah first exam today go on study leave on friday. Predicted quite good grades so that should help.
Pick subjects that are known for being academically rigorous, and have at least one/two essay-based subjects to develop that skill in preperation for the degree/LNAT (if applicable).
Reply 10
all of the above advice is pretty true
but make sure you choose what *you* want to do
2 years of a level is a long time, and you will probably change your mind a few times about your uni subject
if you do what you enjoy, ensuring that the choices are academically rigoruous, you cant go wrong with law really. its other subjects' preferences you should be more worried about.
im applying for law and i have chemistry music economics.
I found the skills developed by History very close to the skills required for a law degree.
Reply 12
If you are aiming at Oxford or Cambridge you should really do an essay-based subject like history.

If not, all academically rigorous A-Levels will do - I'm doing math, further math, even further math and physics and I'm going to UCL to do law (not math or engineering XD) this september.
Reply 13
FrauShai
If you are aiming at Oxford or Cambridge you should really do an essay-based subject like history

:confused: Oxford and Cambridge should be much different to the other elite law schools (UCL, Durham, LSE and possibly Nottingham). I know that you can still get onto a law degree with science degrees (including maths) but I would have thought an essay based subject (particularly or history) would be the best bed.

Utlimately I personally think a good range is best. History, English Lit, Maths and Physics. History, Geography, Chemistry and Psychology.
Reply 14
what if you had taken english language, history, govt & politics and psychology? am i screwed? (thinking of doing a short course in french sometime in the summer though) was initially going to do journalism but recently changed my mind!
Reply 15
i dnt really kno what i'm doing on this tbh :wink:
so i'm sorry if i'm like mustlin in on sum1s question,

but i want to be a lawyer and i'm planin to do ...

maths
history
english lit
philosophy and ethics

think they're okay?

do i need a science?
or a language?

i'm so confused ;O

thanyouuu :smile:
History is a good one. The skills develoepd in A-level History are applicable to law. But, you should do the subjects you are most interested in and which you think you would do well on.

You don't have to have a science, you don't have to have a language, you don't even need an essay subject, though it would help to have at least 1 essay subject.
Reply 17
ummhelp?
i dnt really kno what i'm doing on this tbh :wink:
so i'm sorry if i'm like mustlin in on sum1s question,

but i want to be a lawyer and i'm planin to do ...

maths
history
english lit
philosophy and ethics

think they're okay?

do i need a science?
or a language?

i'm so confused ;O

thanyouuu :smile:
Those subjects are just fine. Don't listen to anybody who says otherwise. I get absolutely sick of people coming on here and saying that Arts are better or Sciences are better. As long as you're doing traditional and academic subjects, it simply does not matter what exact subjects you're doing.
Reply 18
Thankyou !

seriously huge help :smile:
As others have said, just do a couple of traditional, and possibly 1-2 essay subjects and you will be sorted

Latest

Trending

Trending