The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

whooo

I still cant afford a new bike
but my dad is bringing up my old Raleigh so I can sell the Trek before the chain snaps :ninja:
Ducki
Joined! :biggrin:

Me too
yay.. welcome to the society people! make you you subscribe to the thread :p:

does anyone want to be a manager? i just know im gonna be bad at it..
Nah, I'm pretty bad at managing my socs but there is not much to it, just keep checking back to see if there are any new requests
Reply 104
Observations from this morning's ride:

Black arm and leg warmers with white bibs and this (blue) jersey looks pretty damn fine :smile:

Managed a new top speed of 40mph :biggrin:

Despite the strong wind, I made good speed of 18mph (avg)

It was also a fairly pleasant morning, however, a bit of sunshine wouldn't have gone amiss.

Even at half 7 on a saturday, the roads are busier than you'd expect.

And finally, the Tour de France starts today! Woop!

PS. P'raps we could change the society's name to the TSR cycling union or something a bit more traditional, y'know?

PPS. I'd like to be a manager, but seeing as I'm joining the army in 10 days, I won't have any time for it for at least 4 months :s-smilie:
Ducki
Observations from this morning's ride:

Black arm and leg warmers with white bibs and this (blue) jersey looks pretty damn fine :smile:

Managed a new top speed of 40mph :biggrin:

Despite the strong wind, I made good speed of 18mph (avg)

It was also a fairly pleasant morning, however, a bit of sunshine wouldn't have gone amiss.

Even at half 7 on a saturday, the roads are busier than you'd expect.

And finally, the Tour de France starts today! Woop!

PS. P'raps we could change the society's name to the TSR cycling union or something a bit more traditional, y'know?

PPS. I'd like to be a manager, but seeing as I'm joining the army in 10 days, I won't have any time for it for at least 4 months :s-smilie:

I like that jacket and just be thankful that it is dry, I was out on the lake in a sailing boat and it was pissing it down in Wigan
Reply 106
I'm about to begin commuting again to work so I'll join since I wanna ask a few questions and stuff.

Both my tyres need pumped, but I'm not sure if its the tube that needs replaced or if they just deflated because the bike hasnt been used in years, how can i tell?
Reply 107
yay I joined the soc :biggrin:
I'm still looking for a bike, I have been looking on www.cyclesurgery.com which is really good, does anyone know any other similar sites?

SoundDevastation
yay.. welcome to the society people! make you you subscribe to the thread :p:

does anyone want to be a manager? i just know im gonna be bad at it..

I'm not going to be very busy over the summer so I don't mind helping to approve the applications when I'm online :smile: ...any idea how many members we have now?

Jim-ie
I'm about to begin commuting again to work so I'll join since I wanna ask a few questions and stuff.

Both my tyres need pumped, but I'm not sure if its the tube that needs replaced or if they just deflated because the bike hasnt been used in years, how can i tell?

You could get a pump and pump up your tyres then see if it's ok, if not then the thing probably needs replacing.
Jim-ie

Pump them up then ride up and down your road and see if they go down, if you haven't used it then they are probably just flat but you need to check other things such as your brakes, chain and gears
Reply 109
Cheers I'll give that a go in the morning and see if they go down
Reply 110
Hei, just out of interest, does anyone know how good/crap Claud Butler are as a make? I can get their bikes quite cheap from work, but want to buy something vaguely decent.
Also, for some reason i never did a cycling proficiency thing at school, with all the 'how to deal with roundabouts/in traffic' shizzle. I don't particularly want to be squashed, is there any adult training equivalent that anyone knows of ? :redface:
..sorry to be such a n00b..
-x-
Hanoi

I'm not going to be very busy over the summer so I don't mind helping to approve the applications when I'm online :smile: ...any idea how many members we have now?

done :biggrin:
we have 11!

so... I have been invited to cycle to Climate Camp 08.. thats Nottingham, to Kent. I am SO going! :biggrin:
~Ally~
Hei, just out of interest, does anyone know how good/crap Claud Butler are as a make? I can get their bikes quite cheap from work, but want to buy something vaguely decent.
Also, for some reason i never did a cycling proficiency thing at school, with all the 'how to deal with roundabouts/in traffic' shizzle. I don't particularly want to be squashed, is there any adult training equivalent that anyone knows of ? :redface:
-x-

I had a Claud and my brother too, this is years ago though, lasted years and years.

I'd assume the worse, and expect the worse on the road. Like expect not to be seen. Take care.
~Ally~
-x-

Ive heard they're decent.. probably below the trek/Specialized decency.. but they're not toy bikes.

Read up on the highway code.. then completely ignore it on the road. Just be sensible, stay out of peoples way, and use your head!
SoundDevastation
done :biggrin:
so... I have been invited to cycle to Climate Camp 08.. thats Nottingham, to Kent. I am SO going! :biggrin:

How far is that? Sounds far wish I could go
wizard710
How far is that? Sounds far wish I could go

I think its about 200 miles..
Reply 116
Jim-ie

Butyl rubber (the stuff your inner tubes are made of) isn't 100% air proof, and air will leak out over time (or very quickly if you're on road tyres with pressures in excess of 120psi :rolleyes:).

Although if the bike hasn't been used in a year or so, I'd replace the tubes anyway, as they're probably fatigued. And check the usual stuff, brakes, gears, basically anything that moves to make sure that theres nowt living in there/not gummeed up etc.

As for riding on the road, treat every driver as a total and utter ******** who hasn't seen you, and if they have, don't care that you're there. Make yourself seen, don't be afraid to use dayglo vest etc, I'd rather look like a pillock for a bit than be dead/disabled.

That said though, commuting on a bike at rush hour is probably one of the biggest buzzes you can get without going BASE jumping, so enjoy it :biggrin:
Reply 118
I wouldn't go near that thing wizard, downtube shifters FTL :hmmm:

Its old, the frame looks knackered and the rear cassette looks tiny, too small for a relatively inexperienced rider. Go to your local bike shop and ask if they've got any decent second hand bikes. Try before you buy and all that.

Try to stay away from ebay when buying whole bikes, as you can never be too sure if you'll encounter a scam merchant.

Looks pretty knackered to me. Plus, suicide shifters are called suicide shifters for a reason; taking your hands of the handle bars to change gear is not the safest thing you can do. Steer clear (I'm sure there's a pun in there somewhere :p:).

I agree with ducki... go somewhere you can try the bike first. Make sure you get one that fits you. You might well get a bargain on ebay, but if it don't fit, you'll never get much out of it. Definitely go to a shop or at least get yourself measured before you get anything you haven't ridden before.

Latest