The Student Room Group

Raf Fitness Test

Hi

I am applying to the RAF for a Pilot, and probably the university bursary as well.

I have looked at fitness tests on the RAF website and have a few questions for people who have been to OASC.

Firstly what are the requirements? I heard they are 9.10 bleep test, 13 pressups and 35 sit ups. (I am 17). Is this correct or did they change to something higher?

Secondly when doing sit ups is somebody going to hold your feet down or by the ankles or anything. Because when I do them I start moving backwards across the room lol.

Are they very strict on how its done? e.g. when doing a sit up your hands must be touching your head? Where should my hands be during the sit up?

Many thanks any help appreciated
Reply 1
have a look at the RAF careers website, it answers your questions about excercise technique and yes they are pretty strict on how they're done.
marco1991
Hi

I am applying to the RAF for a Pilot, and probably the university bursary as well.

I have looked at fitness tests on the RAF website and have a few questions for people who have been to OASC.

Firstly what are the requirements? I heard they are 9.10 bleep test, 13 pressups and 35 sit ups. (I am 17). Is this correct or did they change to something higher?

Secondly when doing sit ups is somebody going to hold your feet down or by the ankles or anything. Because when I do them I start moving backwards across the room lol.

Are they very strict on how its done? e.g. when doing a sit up your hands must be touching your head? Where should my hands be during the sit up?

Many thanks any help appreciated

Requirements - Yes you are correct
Sit ups - Yes you have a buddy holding your feet
Strict - Yes they will not count the ones done in bad form, ie fingers away from temples or bucking of the hips.
Reply 3
Another day, and another thread about fitness tests. It still amazes me that people who want to join only concern themselves with how many situps they can do, and exactly how far down they have to go during pressups.

I would recommend you ignore the fitness stuff. Just be as fit as you reasonably can be, and direct your attention much more towards the interview, the aptitude tests, and the command tasks. There's a lot more to being a pilot, and to joining as one, than situps!
Reply 4
Wzz
Another day, and another thread about fitness tests. It still amazes me that people who want to join only concern themselves with how many situps they can do, and exactly how far down they have to go during pressups.

I would recommend you ignore the fitness stuff. Just be as fit as you reasonably can be, and direct your attention much more towards the interview, the aptitude tests, and the command tasks. There's a lot more to being a pilot, and to joining as one, than situps!

Indeed this is true.

Remember the fitness standard stated is the minimum, there is a different IOTFA this is alot tougher than the RAFFT.
Reply 5
MuseValheru
Remember the fitness standard stated is the minimum, there is a different IOTFA this is alot tougher than the RAFFT.

*sigh*

... and there are MUCH more important things to worry about than raw fitness. Anyone can get fitter; just run more! It worries me that 90% of applicants seem to think that a good bleep test score is all you need to get in.

There's a lot more to it, but we don't seem to get anywhere near the same number of people asking about the other elements of OASC or IOT.
Just out of interest though, does anyone actually know the fitness requirements??

I know nothing I'm just curious because what the OP described seems really low...

Just wondering, I know it's not all fitness blah blah blah.
Reply 7
Cupid Stunt
Just out of interest though, does anyone actually know the fitness requirements??

I know nothing I'm just curious because what the OP described seems really low...

Just wondering, I know it's not all fitness blah blah blah.

What the OP has put are a little inaccurate, basic 'green' is:

Bleep test: 9.10
Press-ups (1 min): 20-39
Sit-ups (1 min): 35-40

... to achieve 'very good':

Bleep test: 11.07
Press-ups (1 min): 40-59
Sit-ups (1 min): 41-54

... If you want to be rated as 'excellent', you will need:

Bleep test: 15.04
Press-ups (1 min): 60+
Sit-ups (1 min): 55+
Wow really?? 15.04 on the bleep test is insane. Would take a lot of training for that.

Thanks anyway, interesting to know... :smile:
Reply 9
Wzz
*sigh*

... and there are MUCH more important things to worry about than raw fitness. Anyone can get fitter; just run more! It worries me that 90% of applicants seem to think that a good bleep test score is all you need to get in.

There's a lot more to it, but we don't seem to get anywhere near the same number of people asking about the other elements of OASC or IOT.

You can get in with a cr*p bleep test score - I'm proof of that!
Reply 10
carboncopy
What the OP has put are a little inaccurate, basic 'green' is:

Bleep test: 9.10
Press-ups (1 min): 20-39
Sit-ups (1 min): 35-40

... to achieve 'very good':

Bleep test: 11.07
Press-ups (1 min): 40-59
Sit-ups (1 min): 41-54

... If you want to be rated as 'excellent', you will need:

Bleep test: 15.04
Press-ups (1 min): 60+
Sit-ups (1 min): 55+

Hi please do you have a link to the table, so I can look at the women's marks. I do have a table from an old TSR link, but the data doesn't match yours and the image looks very old - so I'm guessing you have a newer version of the table - which I couldn't find on the RAF website.

I think the OP has taken his data from the same table I have.
simone2
Hi please do you have a link to the table, so I can look at the women's marks. I do have a table from an old TSR link, but the data doesn't match yours and the image looks very old - so I'm guessing you have a newer version of the table - which I couldn't find on the RAF website.

I think the OP has taken his data from the same table I have.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/role/raffitnesstest2007.cfm

there are three links further down the page, that's where I got my info from.
Reply 12
Note - if you go for IOT, and fail the week one IOTFA you get a fitness recourse, same all the way through, fail an IOTFA you might get one chance to pull it back - after that you're off until you improve enough to pass.
Reply 13
carboncopy
http://www.raf.mod.uk/role/raffitnesstest2007.cfm

there are three links further down the page, that's where I got my info from.

Thanks. Interestingly, it says females will have to ATTEMPT full press-up? not do full press-up? Maybe I'm reading too much into that?
Reply 14
You'll have to do full ones. It doesn't mean you can give it a go and then move on to a bench / drop to your knees if you find it difficult!
Reply 15
It was worth a try :smile:

Latest