The Student Room Group

Always thirsty and sometimes a bit light-headed

Yeah, the title says it all.

I feel thirsty a lot of the time and I dunno why. I have 2-3 50 cl water bottles a day, so it's strange to be so thirsty, especially cos it doesn't go away with drinking much. I do have to go to the loo quite a bit cos im drinking a fair amount, and then I have moments where I just feel a bit light-headed and really can't concentrate, they usually last for 20, 30 mins or so then go away.

I don't think I have any other symptoms of diabetes, I don't think I'm always tired and my pee doesn't smell.

So what could it be?
You're not drinking enough water.

What is your diet like? Missing meals? High sugar foods? Sleeping properly? lots of things.
You're only drinking 1-1.5L of water a day, which isn't very much. I would feel crap if I drank that little all day! Maybe see a GP about feeling light-headed. Do you have low blood pressure?
You might be diabetic - I'd advise you look up the symptoms and if you feel some of them correspond to your condition, go to your GP.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Diabetes-type2/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

Also, you're not drinking enough; most people drink about 2L per day.
Reply 4
My doctor told me that when your body is low on energy it converts glycogen into glucose and water, hence you lose a lot of water and become thirsty, this could explain both of your syptoms, are you eating enough to provide sufficient energy?
Reply 5
ProStacker
You're not drinking enough water.

What is your diet like? Missing meals? High sugar foods? Sleeping properly? lots of things.

I eat normally and healthily, don't miss meals, I do eat a fair bit of snack food(which is gonna contain some sugar) but I've done that for a long time, before I started to feelk thirsty all the time.

Yeah, whenever I wake up I feel like I could carry on sleeping, but I always interpret that as just a lazy feeling, once I get out of bed I normally don't feel overly tired at all, it's just I have these times when I simply cannot concentrate and feel very light-headed, which worries me, I mean what if it happens in an exam?

Lots of you seem to say I'm not drinking enough, but I feel like I need to go to the loo a lot because of the amount of water I drink.
i think i have what you have. i try and drink a lot of water, but i always need to pee (and mine does smell funny and is always a yellow colour (sorry about too much info!)). i have a good diet, dont eat a lot of sugar etc. the past couple of weeks ive started to feel light headed and not really with it. like i dont really know whats happening around me :s-smilie: and my eyes have started to feel really heavy, and sometimes they start to water because theyre stinging or feel dry (eyedrops dont seem to help).
i have about 8 hours sleep every night (maybe more on weekends) but im constantly tired and i never ever wake up before my alarm, and im usually in a deep sleep when it goes off.
i have thought of getting tested for diabetes, but i hate going to my doctor and ill look stupid if i havent got it!
Reply 7
Try to drink more and just see how it makes you feel, if youfeel no different then its clearly not the issue. I'd go to your doctor anyway you dont have anything to lose :smile:
Reply 8
Funkymonkey21
i think i have what you have. i try and drink a lot of water, but i always need to pee (and mine does smell funny and is always a yellow colour (sorry about too much info!)). i have a good diet, dont eat a lot of sugar etc. the past couple of weeks ive started to feel light headed and not really with it. like i dont really know whats happening around me :s-smilie: and my eyes have started to feel really heavy, and sometimes they start to water because theyre stinging or feel dry (eyedrops dont seem to help).
i have about 8 hours sleep every night (maybe more on weekends) but im constantly tired and i never ever wake up before my alarm, and im usually in a deep sleep when it goes off.
i have thought of getting tested for diabetes, but i hate going to my doctor and ill look stupid if i havent got it!

Funny, my eyes sting a lot too, although I think that may be hayfever or something. But I don't get this tiredness feeling that you have, which is another symptom of diabetes. You should probably get it checked, not wanting to 'look stupid' isn't really an excuse.
Reply 9
Did you get better? - I have same problem

Quick Reply

Latest