The Student Room Group

Why do girls generally HIGHLY sensitive when it comes to weight?

I mean, if you wanted to, you could lose weight you know.
If you wanted to, you can pay no attention to the nagging insecure thoughts and just accept who you are, no one REALLY wants someone that doesn't accept themselves.

title needs 'are' instead of 'do'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by agolati
If you wanted to, you can pay no attention to the nagging insecure thoughts and just accept who you are, no one REALLY wants someone that doesn't accept themselves.

fyi: only true 4 western society girls
Reply 2
^ If true then it's to do with society.
Reply 3
Original post by agolati

But nobody likes a fatty.
Reply 4
Firstly, your title needs a little adjustment.
Secondly, if only you were a girl you would truly understand how hard it is to just 'ignore' these social pressures. Every girl I know wants to be pretty, wants to be thought of as pretty. What else can we do but worry, when perfect girls in mags are set as a 'standard'? Not all of us are depressed about our weight or looks (oh and you make it sound sooo easy to lose weight-have you ever tried?) but do you know one person who has never felt insecure about themselves at some point?

Oh yeah you do...you.
Reply 5
Because women clearly have no self-discipline. Want to lose weight? Put down that god damn fork. You will only lose weight when you start eating less, that is the most effective way to lose weight other than exercise, which I feel is nowhere near as effective.

You just have to make sure that your diet is still nutritious and that you don't eat too little, that should be the most difficult part of dieting, not finding the willpower to go through with the diet or trying to lose weight without feeling hungry from time to time. What I would recommend doing is finding out how many calories somebody your age should be consuming and find ways of roughly sticking to this level of eating.

Also, don't give me this rubbish about women constantly being made to feel insecure, like men aren't made to feel insecure and are expected to be tall and good looking, something which they genuinely can't do anything about and which women attack men for complaining about, when its implications are also far greater. Look on the internet, there are actually men spending hundreds of hours of their lives pointlessly pursuing ways of increasing their height. To them, losing weight and gaining muscle is a walk in the park.
Reply 6
Original post by BlackVenom321
Since when were the girls in the mags set as a standard, why are you bul****ting. everyone knows those girls bodies have been airbrushed, edited etc. those are idealistic yet unrealistic bodies.

Yes, that's the 'truth' but most girls I know want to be slim, pretty with long beautiful hair. What's BS about that? Do you even understand what I wrote? If all girls understood that those models aren't even real with an unattainable look, there would not be one insecure girl on this plannet. Media do portray that look to be a 'standard' otherwise there would be no such thing as supermodels. Calm down..
Why was my post warned :lolwut: deleted
Reply 8
Why was my post warned :lolwut: deleted

Lol I know, I've seen posts like that all of the time, even worse ones which haven't been deleted. Looks like some overly sensitive female fat-ass mod decided to abuse their power.
This is so true, people need to just get on with it. If you really want to make something happen and loose weight you will do it. it's not easy it takes discipline and commitment but that is all just a test of your will and disire to achieve what you want. Like i said if you are a big girl( I like big girls btw) and you want to be slim you can do it, so there's no use blaming slim girls for you feeling shyt.

We are all insecrure about something but we all dont complain about it whenever we get the chance
Reply 10
Social pressure probably. It's not just weight, people also want to be the best when it comes to looks, style, intelligence, degrees etc. etc.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Bakerzoid
Because women clearly have no self-discipline. Want to lose weight? Put down that god damn fork. You will only lose weight when you start eating less, that is the most effective way to lose weight other than exercise, which I feel is nowhere near as effective.

You just have to make sure that your diet is still nutritious and that you don't eat too little, that should be the most difficult part of dieting, not finding the willpower to go through with the diet or trying to lose weight without feeling hungry from time to time. What I would recommend doing is finding out how many calories somebody your age should be consuming and find ways of roughly sticking to this level of eating.

Also, don't give me this rubbish about women constantly being made to feel insecure, like men aren't made to feel insecure and are expected to be tall and good looking, something which they genuinely can't do anything about and which women attack men for complaining about, when its implications are also far greater. Look on the internet, there are actually men spending hundreds of hours of their lives pointlessly pursuing ways of increasing their height. To them, losing weight and gaining muscle is a walk in the park.

Damn, I agree. I don't see why you have been negged for essentially saying acknowledging the facts that weight loss happens by not overeating, and women constantly say they want men taller than they are, which means that men have drawn the short straw in what is wanted by the other sex.

Last July I went on medication which increased my appetite big time. So many people who are fat say that they are fat due to a reason. *raises hand* look, look, I've got a reason. Probably most people who go on the medication gain weight.. but you know what? It's still my fault that I put a bit on (still in healthy BMI range). And I agree with you about eating > exercise - I do no exercise but am controlling my eating until I get to my pre-medication weight.

What have learned from this?
1. No excuse. If I gain weight, it's because of lack of self-control. Some people are lucky and don't need to put as much self-control in, but at the end of the day, that's all it comes down to.
2. Losing weight takes self-discipline, but it happens. You can see the effects of it. Any insecurity about that can be dealt with with relative ease. My insecurities about being 5'4 however? hmm.
Because even on this thread people post pictures of the "ideal body", therefore girls are obviously going to stride to achieve this. Just like people strive for acedemic 'perfection', people, especially girls, strive for what is seen by the media and men as the 'perfect' body. There is a lot of pressure on girls to achieve this.
And yes, it is possible to lose weight, but it's often difficult to do. I'm not trying to blame the media but i think it acts as the trigger.
Reply 13
Original post by amizzle91
Social pressure probably. It's not just weight, people also want to be the best when it comes to looks, style, intelligence, degrees etc. etc.

This basically. People have a mindset that they are judged by characteristics, whether it be looks, style etc and want to improve. That's totally normal, it's just you have to remember that nobody is perfect, people will appear better than you. But remember that others will see round those imperfections, such as weight, and see other areas in which they shine.
Reply 14
Original post by lightburns
Damn, I agree. I don't see why you have been negged for essentially saying acknowledging the facts that weight loss happens by not overeating, and women constantly say they want men taller than they are, which means that men have drawn the short straw in what is wanted by the other sex.

Last July I went on medication which increased my appetite big time. So many people who are fat say that they are fat due to a reason. *raises hand* look, look, I've got a reason. Probably most people who go on the medication gain weight.. but you know what? It's still my fault that I put a bit on (still in healthy BMI range). And I agree with you about eating > exercise - I do no exercise but am controlling my eating until I get to my pre-medication weight.

What have learned from this?
1. No excuse. If I gain weight, it's because of lack of self-control. Some people are lucky and don't need to put as much self-control in, but at the end of the day, that's all it comes down to.
2. Losing weight takes self-discipline, but it happens. You can see the effects of it. Any insecurity about that can be dealt with with relative ease. My insecurities about being 5'4 however? hmm.

I proably got negged for saying 'put down that god damn fork' lol. Perhaps self-discipline has a greater impact than I considered. Your case is probably exceptional, having to deal with a sudden increase in appetite, I was refering in my posts to people who are otherwise perfectly healthy but who want to comfort eat etc. and basically, not suffer any consequences because of it. Although I make 'rant' posts like this, I have been posting less and I have actually been feeling happy in my time at university. Just make sure you don't end up worrying about the social aspects of you life.
because there really is too much pressure from society to look good 0_o sucks eh?
people jsut want to look in the mirror and be happy with what they see, is that such a bad thing?
though yeah if they hate themselves that much , do something about it.
it's so satisfying to really put the effort in and see it paying off :smile:
hard to stick at it though.
a lot of girls think they'll never find a guy who thinks they're attractive, especially if they don't think they are.

it's really not complicated, people just want to look their best, and society's definition of looking good, is too difficult to acheive :P
Original post by Bakerzoid
I proably got negged for saying 'put down that god damn fork' lol. Perhaps self-discipline has a greater impact than I considered. Your case is probably exceptional, having to deal with a sudden increase in appetite, I was refering in my posts to people who are otherwise perfectly healthy but who want to comfort eat etc. and basically, not suffer any consequences because of it. Although I make 'rant' posts like this, I have been posting less and I have actually been feeling happy in my time at university. Just make sure you don't end up worrying about the social aspects of you life.

Ahh, I was referring to slightly different circumstances. I get pissed off when people claim that they are fat for a reason, therefore it's not their fault. Even if they have a reason, it's still usually their fault, and the majority are probably the standard healthy people you are referring to anyway.
The comfort eaters though.. urgh, I've seen people complaining they were fat due to this reason or another, then stuffing their face with burgers and chocolate.

Now, if someone wants to be fat, that's fine with me. It's their choice. I hold some respect for people who say "yes, I'm fat, and I like being like this so there", for example I think Dawn French holds that view. But don't be highly sensitive about it, because if you want to not be fat, all you need to do is put down that god damn fork.

(P.s. Rants are ftw.)
Is the OP asking why girls are generally insecure over issues like 'weight' or just another thread about fat girls? It seems to always escalate into the same old bull sh*t.
This is so true, people need to just get on with it. If you really want to make something happen and loose weight you will do it. it's not easy it takes discipline and commitment but that is all just a test of your will and disire to achieve what you want. Like i said if you are a big girl( I like big girls btw) and you want to be slim you can do it, so there's no use blaming slim girls for you feeling shyt.

We are all insecrure about something but we all dont complain about it whenever we get the chance

T H I S.

If you want it...you've got to work for it :wink:

I dont get the whole ..blame the media for their models etc....if you were happy with yoursleves you wouldnt blame them for looking good. It's only probably not good for young girls/ young teenagers.
Reply 19
I do still think social pressure does play a part in people's insecurities, not solely responsible obviously but it does have an effect IMO... like I said, it's not just physical attractiveness, it applies to people striving to get the best degrees and the best jobs and earning the most money as well as wanting to be the thinnest, the prettiest, the most stylish...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending