The Student Room Group

Kings EMDP 2012 applicants

There hasnt been a thread made yet so i thought i would make one!
So...who's applying??? :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump.
Reply 2
Original post by Tzarchasm
A2: AAB
UKCAT: 700

I think I will apply. Still have time to properly decide.

nice u'v already got ur grades :biggrin: n awsum ukcat ... did you apply for med last year?? Your applying to southampton as well ryt? me too... Goodluck (Y)
Reply 3
cmon people....is anyone applying this year?!?!??!
Reply 4
Might be my 4th choice since the admission tutor said to definitely apply since I would be looked on as a strong candidate :s-smilie:. Still deciding between EMDP/Imperial/UCL as my 4th.

A-level (Achieved): A*AABb
(Prediction of those I'm taking in 1 year): D2,A*A
UKCAT:700
GCSE: n/a :colone:

EDIT: Negged? Really? Declare yourself Mr unknown :sexface: EMDP is for people from disadvantaged backgrounds and I am probably one of the most disadvantaged people applying to the course. That you like it or not I'm fully eligible :colone:, just be happy I did not apply to any other extended medical course.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by jokosor
Might be my 4th choice since the admission tutor said to definitely apply since I would be looked on as a strong candidate :s-smilie:. Still deciding between EMDP/Imperial/UCL as my 4th.

A-level (Achieved): A*AABb
(Prediction of those I'm taking in 1 year): D2,A*A
UKCAT:700
GCSE: n/a :colone:

EDIT: Negged? Really? Declare yourself Mr unknown :sexface: EMDP is for people from disadvantaged backgrounds and I am probably one of the most disadvantaged people applying to the course. That you like it or not I'm fully eligible :colone:, just be happy I did not apply to any other extended medical course.

Wow.
Reply 6
Wow.

What? Were you the one that negged me? It fits.

Anyways I hope I did not come across as cocky but obviously whoever negged me did it because he/she thinks I have the grades for the standard medical course. Hence I'm viewed as a "cheat" who is trying to find an easy way to medical school through extended courses. However, reality is that these courses are much more competitive than the standard ones resulting in much lower success rates for applicants.

That aside, arguing here with people I don't even know won't lead to anything, off revising for the BMAT.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by jokosor
What? Were you the one that negged me? It fits.

Anyways I hope I did not come across as cocky but obviously whoever negged me did it because he/she thinks I have the grades for the standard medical course. Hence I'm viewed as a "cheat" who is trying to find an easy way to medical school through extended courses. However, reality is that these courses are much more competitive than the standard ones resulting in much lower success rates for applicants.

That aside, arguing here with people I don't even know won't lead to anything, off revising for the BMAT.

No, you'll find that I did not neg you. Let's understand your rationale: you have the achieved grades for 5 year medicine and you understand that 5 year medicine is less competitive than foundation medicine, yet you're applying to a foundation course?

Unless you genuinely want to have the benefits of the foundation course, you're a true muppet. Secondly, you presumed that you were immediately a better candidate to medicine than the usual applicant to foundation medicine. Thanks for not applying to other foundation courses, I was really worried because you were so obviously guaranteed an offer!
Reply 8
No, you'll find that I did not neg you. Let's understand your rationale: you have the achieved grades for 5 year medicine and you understand that 5 year medicine is less competitive than foundation medicine, yet you're applying to a foundation course?

Unless you genuinely want to have the benefits of the foundation course, you're a true muppet. Secondly, you presumed that you were immediately a better candidate to medicine than the usual applicant to foundation medicine. Thanks for not applying to other foundation courses, I was really worried because you were so obviously guaranteed an offer!

Very interesting, unfortunately though you assume too much since I never stated any of the above. I presumed I am better? How? Stop assuming and stick to what I said if you are going to say something. I know a few people in the 5+1 year courses and I have high estimation of them. Being a good doctor is not down to A-level grades, a few decades ago, people were accepted in medicine with Cs/Bs, these people are now great doctors. So no, I do not follow your argument.

I am applying to EMDP because I have been told I would stand a very good chance, as simple as that. I had to choose between Kings/UCL/Imperial for my fourth option, I chose Kings because of the BMAT. Having already applied to one uni that requires the BMAT, picking a second one would be a great risk considering no one knows how the exam will go for me.

Anyways if there is a moppet between the two of us then that clearly is not me. The world is a tough place so please feel free to keep on posting your frustration.
Reply 9
Original post by jokosor

I didn't make any assumptions.

Explain to me what you meant by the highlighted?
Reply 10
That whoever negged me does not want me applying to extended medical courses most likely because of my grades since you having the same UKCAT were not shown any hostility. There was no other reason I could come up with since I was not rude or anything in my initial post.

That line was perhaps influenced by me reading a thread with people basically saying that 5 year aspirant medical students should stop using 5+1Year medical courses as back up choices because it defeats the purpose of such programs. However, regardless of how you feel about that line, I intended no malice.
Original post by jokosor
That whoever negged me does not want me applying to extended medical courses most likely because of my grades since you having the same UKCAT were not shown any hostility. There was no other reason I could come up with since I was not rude or anything in my initial post.

That line was perhaps influenced by me reading a thread with people basically saying that 5 year aspirant medical students should stop using 5+1Year medical courses as back up choices because it defeats the purpose of such programs. However, regardless of how you feel about that line, I intended no malice.

So be it. I have no problem with you. You obviously worked hard to achieve those grades and you most definitely deserve them. My only issue is with what you said at the end but I now understand that you didn't intend to offend.

I wish you all the luck with your application!
Reply 12
So be it. I have no problem with you. You obviously worked hard to achieve those grades and you most definitely deserve them. My only issue is with what you said at the end but I now understand that you didn't intend to offend.

I wish you all the luck with your application!

I'm pleased that we clarified any misunderstanding, thanks. This conversation was not bad after all, I got to practice my debating skills for the BMAT at least lol which I have been dodging for quite a while.

Thanks and I also wish you the best with your application but I will make sure that next time I will sound less ambiguous.
I applied here
Reply 14
They accept students with A* target grades right?
Reply 15
bump
Reply 16
Original post by MrMed

yeah i think they do
Anyone who's applied here, can you give information regarding your GCSE's, AS/A2, predictions and UKCAT?
Also, does anyone know how they look at the application- e.g: looks at UKCAT etc. Thanks :smile:
A2 BBB
ukcat 642.5
any chance??
Reply 19
Original post by MrMed

I am assuming your asking about this because some uni's have said they will ignore the new grade (A*)? If so, then Kings did say they will ignore it too (this was 2011, no new info suggests they will). This basically means if you are given an offer it won't include A*s. ALL universities/courses accept students with A*s.
There are students on the EMDP with A*s at A Level.

Original post by moment4life
Anyone who's applied here, can you give information regarding your GCSE's, AS/A2, predictions and UKCAT?
Also, does anyone know how they look at the application- e.g: looks at UKCAT etc. Thanks :smile:

The application process (as with all uni's) is long! They consider and score every part of your application. Im not actually sure how much they weigh the UKCAT but like some uni's they may use it to decide between candidates. There is NO cut off score for the UKCAT!! Which actually helps a lot! Personal statement is very important and the medical experience needed!

Original post by student guy
A2 BBB
ukcat 642.5
any chance??

The A level requirements given during an Offer made by Kings is set on your Colleges standards. So if you collages average is low, you could be given an offer for BBC/BBB, whereas if you college average is higher than it could be ABB/AAB. Kings MBBS5 year course gives ABB/AAB offers. You have a good chance, but if you can retake some exams , you should.

For everyone applying to EMDP 2012. I am a current EMDP student in my first year, so i KNOW about this all lol. I know the struggle! If you have any Qs about applying to any MBBS uni's or even EMDP itself, then just ask! (but quote me lol for an answer or PM me :smile: )
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply