The Student Room Group

How do I go about obtaining a copy of my reference from UCAS?

I seem to recall reading something about being able to do this, but I'm not sure. Is it even possible? And if so, exactly what steps do I have to go through? I tried emailing UCAS to ask, but all I received was a general automated response.
Reply 1
Original post by sixdaysinthesun
I seem to recall reading something about being able to do this, but I'm not sure. Is it even possible? And if so, exactly what steps do I have to go through? I tried emailing UCAS to ask, but all I received was a general automated response.

Why don't you ask the person who wrote your reference to send you a copy?
Reply 2

Under the Data Protection Act 1998 you can ask UCAS to send you a copy of all the information they have about you, including the reference. You have to call them to request it. I paid £10 and it's sent by post. I had no choice because I was unable to contact the person that wrote my reference at the time. Here's the info from the UCAS site:

"The Data Protection Act 1998 allows you to ask us for a copy of all the information we have about your application. We charge £10 for this service to cover administrative costs. If you would like a copy of your information, please write to us giving your full name, address, and Personal ID, and send us a cheque or postal order for £10, payable to UCAS. Applications are kept at UCAS for three years.
Please send your request and cheque or postal order to UCAS, Rosehill, New Barn Lane, Cheltenham, Glos GL52 3LZ.
To pay by credit or debit card, phone our Customer Service Unit. You'll need your Personal ID and will have to answer some security questions.
"

http://www.ucas.com/students/applying/howtoapply/dataprotectionact

"When writing a reference for any applicant, including those outside the UK, please remember that, under the Data Protection Act, the applicant can ask for a copy of the reference and any other personal information that we have about them."

http://www.ucas.com/advisers/online/references
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3

You can ask the people at your school who deal with UCAS things/applying to university. At my school, I had a referee who wrote my reference, so I could ask him to e-mail/print me off a copy of it. But also the two heads of sixth form could log-in to UCAS and print out all my application information, including the reference.

Just simply ask the person who wrote your reference for a copy (i did this) but I doidn't really need to because my teacher showed me the reference before he sent my UCAS application off :biggrin:
Original post by roar558
Why don't you ask the person who wrote your reference to send you a copy?

Original post by Setsuna-F-Seiei
Just simply ask the person who wrote your reference for a copy (i did this) but I doidn't really need to because my teacher showed me the reference before he sent my UCAS application off :biggrin:

Original post by v2p
You can ask the people at your school who deal with UCAS things/applying to university. At my school, I had a referee who wrote my reference, so I could ask him to e-mail/print me off a copy of it. But also the two heads of sixth form could log-in to UCAS and print out all my application information, including the reference.

I am on a gap year and applied as an independent student, so there is no one at my school I can contact. In addition, my referee has taken a leave of absence, so I cannot speak to her to request a copy, which is why I am trying to do it through UCAS.

Original post by All-in
Under the Data Protection Act 1998 you can ask UCAS to send you a copy of all the information they have about you, including the reference. You have to call them to request it. I paid £10 and it's sent by post. I had no choice because I was unable to contact the person that wrote my reference at the time. Here's the info from the UCAS site:

"The Data Protection Act 1998 allows you to ask us for a copy of all the information we have about your application. We charge £10 for this service to cover administrative costs. If you would like a copy of your information, please write to us giving your full name, address, and Personal ID, and send us a cheque or postal order for £10, payable to UCAS. Applications are kept at UCAS for three years.
Please send your request and cheque or postal order to UCAS, Rosehill, New Barn Lane, Cheltenham, Glos GL52 3LZ.
To pay by credit or debit card, phone our Customer Service Unit. You'll need your Personal ID and will have to answer some security questions.
"

http://www.ucas.com/students/applying/howtoapply/dataprotectionact

"When writing a reference for any applicant, including those outside the UK, please remember that, under the Data Protection Act, the applicant can ask for a copy of the reference and any other personal information that we have about them."

http://www.ucas.com/advisers/online/references

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Quick Reply