This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4180
Having a bit of difficulty getting rid of sexual thoughts :colondollar:
Reply 4181
Original post by bullettheory
I feel your pain with the meds change. I've been on my current combo since September, and I've been on Mirtazapine since April last year and it doesn't work but they won't review it. The only thing they've done is taken me off my mood stabiliser and that seems to have made me worse - great job guys.

Why are they changing your diagnosis? What do they want to change it to? Makes no sense at all! Are you still under the crisis team? I suppose, even though they are ****, they are there if you need the support while the counselling is going on.

At least you have good insight then! But yeah, it's mega frustrating when they don't believe you, after all, you know what is going on best :hugs: Being patient sucks, I totally agree.

We should both kick up a massive fuss until they listen to us!

When I spoke to the psychiatrist at the hospital about whether they were reviewing my diagnosis (bipolar) he said yes, and that my symptoms could be adult ADHD, bipolar or BPD. I know for a fact it isn't ADHD, so there's two options left. Trouble is, they don't seem to be taking into account the medical notes of my two previous psychiatrists, who have both witnessed mixed episodes in their clinics, and the psych at the hospital who said I was having a mixed episode triggered by the venlafaxine, and my self-reported hypomania that my old psych listened to and wrote down, and consequently diagnosed me.

When I was doing reading around mental health I came across info on personality disorders, and actually recognised some of the BPD traits in myself so I specifically asked my old psych if I might have it, and he said categorically no.
How am I supposed to recover and learn coping mechanisms if I don't know what's wrong with me? One of the nurses here said they might not have a proper diagnosis until I'm 30! :lolwut: And that until then it would just be about managing symptoms.
I've been referred on to the CMHT now, but they said I can still phone the crisis team whenever because it's the only 24hr NHS service here (other than A&E :tongue:).
Anyway, end of second rant. :lol:

EDIT: I should also clarify that I have no problem with them 'just managing my symptoms', but that's something they're failing to do at the moment anyway.
(edited 12 years ago)
Today is a particularly bad day. I'm home. Feel like crap. I've suddenly got this pain in my chest too like where my heart is which is uncomfortable. I have a lot of things that I could be doing but I don't feel up to doing very much at all. After all, if I did I wouldn't be at home anyway, I'm supposed to be at school now with my friends. :frown:

Going to see my GP tomorrow morning though to talk about therapy and anti-depressants. Just need to hold out a little longer I know. But it's so hard. :frown:

/mopeyrant
Reply 4183
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I slept like a baby last night. It was amazing. I'm enjoying stuff and I just want to go and lie down in the sun somewhere with my laptop to bash out a few bits of coursework. It's like a complete personality transplant.

Aw yay! That's awesome.....

(Do ya fancy doing some of my coursework too......? :tongue:)

Original post by avhhs
Aww :console:

---

I've actually felt really good today. In school I did have to talk for a bit to the learning mentor about me running away on Friday. But that was fine. And I just managed to get my homework done... that was due in for last Thursday :biggrin:. I didn't go that day because I was still in a very bad mood from the previous night.

Also my mum hasn't ruined my mood! :smile: I did tell her this morning about wanting to go and watch a movie. Obviously she asked who I was going with, when I was going, and what I was watching. But I honestly don't know any of that yet, so didn't tell her.

Now tomorrow... The longest school day of the week :tongue:

Really glad you're feeling better! Keep it up :smile:

Original post by avhhs
Having a bit of difficulty getting rid of sexual thoughts :colondollar:

Whatever for? :teehee:

1 hour of sleep last night :woo:

I hate my brain and it hates me.

I can haz new one??
(edited 12 years ago)
im going to be 22/23 if i do/ever start uni :'( having achieved **** all since before then. i've lost all my friends, no job, have no social skills, no confidence, i feel so angry all the time. there's just nothing in redeeming about my life whatsoever, and i cant see it changing any time soon.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I'm having too many good days in a row. I'm just waiting for my mood to crash. I got up at 7am for an 11.30 meeting and I did a couple of hours of extra study for a couple of online modules I'm taking.

It's like I just want to absorb all of the knowledge and it just isn't coming to me quick enough.

But I don't have an avatar and you still love me, right?
:cry2:

Don't think like that, take the days 1 at a time, and enjoy the fact they are good - don't live in worry about when/if the fall is coming.

Hmm, I guess so :tongue: :hugs: I make a special effort to identify you without an avatar :smile:
Original post by Nut.
We should both kick up a massive fuss until they listen to us!

When I spoke to the psychiatrist at the hospital about whether they were reviewing my diagnosis (bipolar) he said yes, and that my symptoms could be adult ADHD, bipolar or BPD. I know for a fact it isn't ADHD, so there's two options left. Trouble is, they don't seem to be taking into account the medical notes of my two previous psychiatrists, who have both witnessed mixed episodes in their clinics, and the psych at the hospital who said I was having a mixed episode triggered by the venlafaxine, and my self-reported hypomania that my old psych listened to and wrote down, and consequently diagnosed me.

When I was doing reading around mental health I came across info on personality disorders, and actually recognised some of the BPD traits in myself so I specifically asked my old psych if I might have it, and he said categorically no.
How am I supposed to recover and learn coping mechanisms if I don't know what's wrong with me? One of the nurses here said they might not have a proper diagnosis until I'm 30! :lolwut: And that until then it would just be about managing symptoms.
I've been referred on to the CMHT now, but they said I can still phone the crisis team whenever because it's the only 24hr NHS service here (other than A&E :tongue:).
Anyway, end of second rant. :lol:

EDIT: I should also clarify that I have no problem with them 'just managing my symptoms', but that's something they're failing to do at the moment anyway.

this is not about this post but i read you missed a Q dose and noticed a difference... they always say medication x takes a few weeks to work but there are immediate effects, right? like i immediately feel my mood and emotions dampened/masked, is there some kind of medium-term effect whereby they will get rid of other symptoms (i.e. i don't feel upset or particularly down about stuff on it but still have suicidal ideation and no motivation)??? or are the immediate effects basically What You Can Expect From Quetiapine? or what??????
Reply 4187
Original post by rmhumphries

P.s. Upload / choose an avatar to make it even easier for people who have little effort (like me) to keep track of what you say to us :biggrin:

I got me an avatar!
Not been feeling too great the past couple of weeks, managed to tell my mum today that I was feeling worse which I suppose is a good thing but I'm kinda in 2 minds about it, but it's done now so it's too late. Spent the weekend visiting some friends at uni which was good but now feel like such a failure for not being at uni myself.
I have an appointment with a psych next monday for a 2nd opinion so I'm going try and hold it together til then.

Hope everyone is doing ok
x
Reply 4189
Original post by Sabertooth
No sleep and no beer make sabertooth something something. :nothing:

Stupid lent and diet, I want beer dammit. And sleep dammit. Only gotta last until tomorrow then I can see the psychiatrist, get told everything is fine, get refused new drugs and then wait another god knows how many months to be told the exact same thing again. Oh joy.

So..... How did it go?
Reply 4190
Original post by littleshambles
this is not about this post but i read you missed a Q dose and noticed a difference... they always say medication x takes a few weeks to work but there are immediate effects, right? like i immediately feel my mood and emotions dampened/masked, is there some kind of medium-term effect whereby they will get rid of other symptoms (i.e. i don't feel upset or particularly down about stuff on it but still have suicidal ideation and no motivation)??? or are the immediate effects basically What You Can Expect From Quetiapine? or what??????

Well, I can give you a brief history/ my experience if that'll help?

I was first put on quetiapine last January, 100mg 2x per day and it did seem to pull me out of the depression. It zonked me out, so much so that I'd sleep 12 hours then still slump around for 6 hours out of the 12 that I was awake, and I just felt really heavy and knackered.

I felt the sedative effects a couple of hours after my first dose, so yeah, it immediately dampened things for me, like it seems to for you. The lack of motivation was still a problem for me, even when the tearfulness and suicidal ideation faded a bit, because I couldn't physically do things like walk or focus on reading for substantial periods of the day, but the severity of the side effects will obv. be different for each of us.

My dose got upped to 400mg in November when I got depressed again, and as far as I can see it's just made me worse.

It took about 4-5 months after last January for the sedative effects to wear off, but since then I haven't had any, even when they doubled the dose (in fact, I now don't seem to sleep before 2am without the help of benzos :facepalm2:).

Regular quetiapine has a half life of 7 hours (IIRC) which is why I had to take it twice a day, but as I'm now on slow release I just take it once a day. Even so, 24 hours after missing a dose I was definitely feeling more edgy and energetic.

The trouble is, my mood has been dampened by the quetiapine for so long that I can't tell if I always used to be that awake and alert, or if it's just the quetiapine that's keeping me from a mixed/hypomanic episode.

Personally, I've got sick of the stuff now. It's had since November to work and it's done **** all.
Hopefully it'll be different for you though. It'll take maybe up to a few months for some side effects to iron themselves out. I think you get more manic/hypomanic episodes than I do? (Mine now just seem to be depressed or mixed), so quetiapine might be more suited to your symptoms.

If I've forgotten anything feel free to ask any more questions. :smile:

In other news. I've done some work!

That is, if looking up articles on Jstor and planning to read them tomorrow counts as 'work'. :colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by littleshambles

I was on 600mg of Quetiapine last year for 3 months or so. Frankly it did nothing for me except helping me get to sleep at night. If you want any more info I'd be glad to help though. I did end up getting taken off it though because it wasn't really helping my symptoms.
Original post by Anonymous
Ahh right, was just wondering. My mum has just come into my room talking about my CAMHS appointment from out of nowhere. It shows that she's thinking about it a lot. I know she hates me feeling like this, she has cried every time we've seen nurture lady together. Makes me think that she'd understand if I did kill myself. Surely she'll take comfort from knowing I don't feel like this anymore? It's probably not good to think it about it like that, using my mum to an advantage. I think I'm thinking of various people and trying to think of a way that they would be OK with me doing it...Sorry, went off on a tangent there.

Sounds like a good idea, just do what you can! :hugs:

I'm mainly tired. Mood is quite bad, not as bad as it's ever been just not as good as it could be if that makes sense. Still feeling like suicide is the best option for me right now but I'm not in immediate danger.

Woo, unanon! :biggrin:

Makes sense that she will be thinking about it and wanting you to feel better. You're right, probably best to try not to think of it in that way though. :hugs:

Will do the plan in a min. Tried taking the tablets in the morning instead to see if I would feel any less tired but felt at least as tired today. Told one housemate today, that's a start at least.

Well at least you're not in immediate danger. Appointment is to far away now, just try to keep some hope. :hugs:

Original post by rmhumphries
Have your first rep :yy:

P.s. Upload / choose an avatar to make it even easier for people who have little effort (like me) to keep track of what you say to us :biggrin:

Aww thanks! :hugs:

Have done, took me a while to figure out how to do it. :facepalm:
Original post by SeaJay
So..... How did it go?

Got told everything is fine, apparently because I don't have thought disorder everything is fine and dandy.

After an hour and a half of arguing I got given quetiapine. I swore I'd never take that **** again and yet here I am, with another prescription for it, that's how desperate for sleep I am.

Also found out my prolactin levels are 4000 times higher than normal. I feel like that's some kind of achievement. How many people can say they have 4000 times the normal amount of anything? Hell yeah :cool: U-S-A U-S-A!
Reply 4194
Got told everything is fine, apparently because I don't have thought disorder everything is fine and dandy.

After an hour and a half of arguing I got given quetiapine. I swore I'd never take that **** again and yet here I am, with another prescription for it, that's how desperate for sleep I am.

Also found out my prolactin levels are 4000 times higher than normal. I feel like that's some kind of achievement. How many people can say they have 4000 times the normal amount of anything? Hell yeah :cool: U-S-A U-S-A!

Christ.
I think I read somewhere that prolactin levels are inversely proportional to dopamine levels?
Given that anti-psychotics work on dopamine, maybe that's where some of your symptoms are coming from?
:removes Quack-Hat:
Original post by Nut.
Christ.
I think I read somewhere that prolactin levels are inversely proportional to dopamine levels?
Given that anti-psychotics work on dopamine, maybe that's where some of your symptoms are coming from?
:removes Quack-Hat:

No idea. He said both drugs I was/am on work on the "d2 receptor" which also controls prolactin so I had double dose of prolactin boosting resulting in very high levels. :fyi: It seems to be entirely because of the drugs.

Hopefully now I'm stopping the amisulpride the levels should drop a bit.
Reply 4196
No idea. He said both drugs I was/am on work on the "d2 receptor" which also controls prolactin so I had double dose of prolactin boosting resulting in very high levels. :fyi: It seems to be entirely because of the drugs.

Hopefully now I'm stopping the amisulpride the levels should drop a bit.

Ah. Yeah hopefully.

I don't know too much about prolactin because most of my biology knowledge now comes from curiosity-fuelled googling rather than qualifications.

Think I remember from somewhere that dopamine levels spike dramatically just before orgasm (:sexface:), then drop really quickly, and prolactin levels then rise (which I presume is where the 'inversely proportional' stuff comes from).

Why do I know these things? :colondollar: :ashamed:
Original post by Nut.
Ah. Yeah hopefully.

I don't know too much about prolactin because most of my biology knowledge now comes from curiosity-fuelled googling rather than qualifications.

Think I remember from somewhere that dopamine levels spike dramatically just before orgasm (:sexface:), then drop really quickly, and prolactin levels then rise (which I presume is where the 'inversely proportional' stuff comes from).

Why do I know these things? :colondollar: :ashamed:

Makes me wonder if psychotic symptoms are made worse by multiple orgasms? :holmes:

:tongue:
Reply 4198
Makes me wonder if psychotic symptoms are made worse by multiple orgasms? :holmes:

:tongue:

There's only one way to find out. :sexface:

Spoiler

Reply 4199
Original post by ViceVersa
Yeah :sad: and yeah I get you, thanks for your comments :hugs:

Yep! :yep:

Hope it works out :yy:

True, thanks :hugs:

I'm here if you need to talk :hugs:

AWWW thank you! :lovehug: And why can't I make you TSR friend? :frown:

I'm so sorry :frown: I hope you have good news with your last uni :hugs: