The Student Room Group

Educational Psychology

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hi,

I'm applying this year too - panicking slightly as still haven't written my personal statement! I'm worried about fitting it all in in under 6000 characters, especially enough concrete reference to psychological theories, as people on other forums have said that was given as a specific reason for rejection in the past. Also only have one reference through so far. I'm a qualified teacher but currently working as an au pair in Switzerland for a boy with non-verbal autism, and I'm worried about drawing too heavily on this despite its relevance as it's not related to the UK education system!

Just wanted to vent really. Anyone else with a few late nights looming? I'm applying for Birmingham, Manchester and Nottingham.

Lucy
Reply 61
I'll be doing the late nights too! 6000 characters is pretty tight, I am not sure if to cite the references with full APA, or just talk in more general terms.....
Let me know how you get on.
Good luck!:biggrin:
Reply 62
Hi everyone.

I'm new to the forum so thought I should say hello! :smile:

I'm in my 3rd year of training to be an educational psychologist. It took me two years of applying and it was a very nerve wracking time but well worth it in the end. It's a big decision to dedicate 3 more years of studiying so my only bit of advice would be to try and get a good understanding of what the job entails before you apply. I was able to do some voluntary shadowing which really helped.

Once you get on the course unfortunately that's when the hard work begins! Although I really enjoy what I'm doing and don't regret my decision there have been times during my journey where I have wondered if I will ever make it!

Good luck to everyone applying! Any questions about the training I'm happy to try and help!
Reply 63
Original post by Millie_12
Hi everyone.

I'm new to the forum so thought I should say hello! :smile:

I'm in my 3rd year of training to be an educational psychologist. It took me two years of applying and it was a very nerve wracking time but well worth it in the end. It's a big decision to dedicate 3 more years of studiying so my only bit of advice would be to try and get a good understanding of what the job entails before you apply. I was able to do some voluntary shadowing which really helped.

Once you get on the course unfortunately that's when the hard work begins! Although I really enjoy what I'm doing and don't regret my decision there have been times during my journey where I have wondered if I will ever make it!

Good luck to everyone applying! Any questions about the training I'm happy to try and help!

What is you project on? Are you employed as a trainee EP by a local authority? What you univeristy are you studying at? What kind of experience did you have before starting your doctorate?
Reply 64
Everyone has gone quiet... good luck to all of you who submitted applications. I am still waiting to hear, trying to be patient!
Reply 65
Unfortunately, I have just found out I was unsuccessful at Manchester. I have no idea if to keep pursuing a place on the Doctorate or not, I am currently living overseas teaching and would love to find out why I was unsuccessful - does anyone know the chances of getting any feedback? I could apply again next year, but I am just unsure now that I didn't even get to the interview stage.
Good luck to those who were successful this year :smile:
Reply 66
I just got feedback from Birmingham - main problem was that I'm not living in England right now, so didn't have enough knowledge of the role of educational psychologists in the UK (despite having taught in UK schools and talked to educational psychologists out here in Switzerland). I guess in America they could have similar reservations?
Reply 67
Hi ya,

Am new to all of this forum stuff!

Sorry to hear that some of you have been unsuccessful in getting an interview, from what I can gather it is extremely competitive. I have just found out that I have an interview at Exeter (who only have 5 places available) and am pretty chuffed just to get an interview, despite what happens now!!
Still waiting to hear either way from Bristol. Only applied to those two. Hope people have a back up plan if not secured a place, and that you won't be deterred. I know that if I am not successful this year I am going to keep trying. If it is meant to be then it will happen!
Reply 68
Thats what I was worried about! But apparently it was because they didn't think my degree was accredited by the BPS, after a lot of emails and phone calls I let them know that it was and confirmed that with where I got my degree. They reconsidered my application and found out today they have changed my status to 'Invited to Interview'!!
Reply 69
just found out I have interviews at Nottingham and Manchester! Luckily my employers are being incredibly supportive as they're both very last minute and mid week!
Reply 70
Original post by rachococo
Thats what I was worried about! But apparently it was because they didn't think my degree was accredited by the BPS, after a lot of emails and phone calls I let them know that it was and confirmed that with where I got my degree. They reconsidered my application and found out today they have changed my status to 'Invited to Interview'!!

What a nightmare! I am glad you got a good result, it seems like you have lots of good experience. Good luck!!
Reply 71
Original post by loocipher
just found out I have interviews at Nottingham and Manchester! Luckily my employers are being incredibly supportive as they're both very last minute and mid week!

Well done on the two interviews!!! Good luck!! I think employers are often quite supportive as it looks good for them as well if their employees continue to progress and do well.

I am lucky as have a couple of weeks to prepare. Do you have to do presentations etc?
Reply 72
I have NO idea. A quick email from Nottingham saying 'oops, admin error, come see us on Monday, details to follow' and just the updated status on the website from Manchester!
Reply 73
i would also want to be a educational psychologist but it seems so hardd and such a long route :|
I read that nationally there are about 120 training places each year offered by only 13 universities. That is competitive!
Reply 75
How did everyone feel their interviews went? I had one at Bristol and Exeter and they were both very different! Felt as though both went very well but met quite a few people who had been for interviews last year as well and some the year before... :s-smilie:

Just got to wait over a month now to find out...
hey guys, help deciding?
psychology with maths or education?
I ultimately want to be a primary school teacher, am working at an afterschool club, and one afternoon in a primary school per week.
deciding what to do at uni and can't decide between doing a education/psychology -obviously has education involved, or degree of maths/psychology -good because it has the core subject of maths
will either of these subjects help get onto a primary pgce?
Original post by anonymous..x
hey guys, help deciding?
psychology with maths or education?
I ultimately want to be a primary school teacher, am working at an afterschool club, and one afternoon in a primary school per week.
deciding what to do at uni and can't decide between doing a education/psychology -obviously has education involved, or degree of maths/psychology -good because it has the core subject of maths
will either of these subjects help get onto a primary pgce?

You can do a primary PGCE with any undergraduate degree
Reply 78
Either will be great for Primary teaching, but if you are interested in Educational Psychology later on, then you will certainly need the Psychology. If you do an undergraduate degree with Maths/Education, you will probably find that during your PGCE you will cover a lot of the same stuff you did in your UG degree, so it may be better to opt for Maths/Psychology.

Hope this helps.
thankyou! yeah I don't think I will do maths/education! will decide after open days probably :smile: thanks helped alot :smile:

Quick Reply