The Student Room Group

Been a bit of a moron - Is it too late?

OK, so this year I've not tried half as much as I know I could and should have.
This is my first year. As a result I'll probably finish the year with a low 2.1, but potentially a 2.2.

How much of an obstacle is this going to be for me? I have never been a realist and have always aspired to working in an MC firm.

Supposing I get a 2.2 this year, will I be at a huge disadvantage even if I get firsts in year two and three?

I know the first year 'doesn't count' but I'm led to believe that firms will still enquire into what mark you recieved and I'm pretty sure it's the first year grade I'll be using to attain vac schemes. No vac scheme may make it hard for me when I apply for TC's, amirite?

Pretty annoyed with myself.
Reply 1
Original post by TheCount.
OK, so this year I've not tried half as much as I know I could and should have.
This is my first year. As a result I'll probably finish the year with a low 2.1, but potentially a 2.2.

How much of an obstacle is this going to be for me? I have never been a realist and have always aspired to working in an MC firm.

Supposing I get a 2.2 this year, will I be at a huge disadvantage even if I get firsts in year two and three?

I know the first year 'doesn't count' but I'm led to believe that firms will still enquire into what mark you recieved and I'm pretty sure it's the first year grade I'll be using to attain vac schemes. No vac scheme may make it hard for me when I apply for TC's, amirite?

Pretty annoyed with myself.

Most firms usually reject applications below a 2:1 but as long as you have a predicted 2:1 or 1st with relevant experience you should be fine. Although this will depend on what uni you go to.
Reply 2
Original post by Playa10
Most firms usually reject applications below a 2:1 but as long as you have a predicted 2:1 or 1st with relevant experience you should be fine. Although this will depend on what uni you go to.

Sweet. Hopefully I can still get a 2.1. Fingers crossed.
Reply 3
Don't apply to Baker and McKenzie, they ask for a 2.1 in every module. As do Clifford Chance according to Chambers Student. Freshfields told me they don't ask for this at TC but sometimes apply it for VS. Guess given Slaughters love of academics they'd ask some hard questions as to why you didn't. Not sure about A&O and Links, check their websites. If you get a First in two and three you should still have a strong chance of a TC.
Reply 4
Original post by roh
Don't apply to Baker and McKenzie, they ask for a 2.1 in every module. As do Clifford Chance according to Chambers Student. Freshfields told me they don't ask for this at TC but sometimes apply it for VS. Guess given Slaughters love of academics they'd ask some hard questions as to why you didn't. Not sure about A&O and Links, check their websites. If you get a First in two and three you should still have a strong chance of a TC.

TC at a MC firm or just a TC at any city firm?
Reply 5
TC at a MC firm or just a TC at any city firm?

With a First in both years? You'd have a chance at the MC, I think (check with their grad recruitment at your law fair) but, as I'm sure you know, the field is very very strong. You should be a good City candidate with a First.
This question gets asked every year - a LOT of people are in exactly the same position, so don't get too worried. People tend to get better marks each year as they go through the course. Just work really hard for the rest of this year - you still have plenty of time - and do your best to get a 2:1.

If you get a 2:2 or low 2:1 its not the end of the world. It does make it more difficult to get Vac Schemes, particularly if you aren't at a top 5 uni, but its not an absolute bar so you'll just have to do your best to make up for it by writing lots of really clear and thoroughly researched applications.

If you don't get a Vac Scheme in the MC its not the end of the world - there is no reason why you can't get a vac scheme at another commercial firm (why you need to make lots of applications), do really well in your 2nd/3rd year and get a TC in an MC firm or similar firm.
Reply 7
Original post by jacketpotato
This question gets asked every year - a LOT of people are in exactly the same position, so don't get too worried. People tend to get better marks each year as they go through the course. Just work really hard for the rest of this year - you still have plenty of time - and do your best to get a 2:1.

If you get a 2:2 or low 2:1 its not the end of the world. It does make it more difficult to get Vac Schemes, particularly if you aren't at a top 5 uni, but its not an absolute bar so you'll just have to do your best to make up for it by writing lots of really clear and thoroughly researched applications.

If you don't get a Vac Scheme in the MC its not the end of the world - there is no reason why you can't get a vac scheme at another commercial firm (why you need to make lots of applications), do really well in your 2nd/3rd year and get a TC in an MC firm or similar firm.

Well I've only really got 5 weeks until exams and I'm quite far behind! I'm going to work really hard for the next few weeks though.

Thanks!
Reply 8

Oh and any tips on how to do well in exams?
Lecturers always mention how necessary it is to read 'around' the subject and not merely focus on textbooks alone. Presumably this means reading journals and the like. But for modules, such as Criminal law, where the exams consist of problem questions, how am I going to be able to exhibit this 'wider reading'. I'm told I need to be concise , so talking about what commentator X advocates in terms of law reform, for example, is surely not going to be necessary? But I don't know how else I'll prove my wider reading.
Reply 9
Lecturers always mention how necessary it is to read 'around' the subject and not merely focus on textbooks alone. Presumably this means reading journals and the like. But for modules, such as Criminal law, where the exams consist of problem questions, how am I going to be able to exhibit this 'wider reading'. I'm told I need to be concise , so talking about what commentator X advocates in terms of law reform, for example, is surely not going to be necessary? But I don't know how else I'll prove my wider reading.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=751384

If you only have 5 weeks, you simply don't have time to read around the subject. I would stick to textbooks, make sure you are using textbooks that make it efficient to learn from and practice lots of exam problem questions. You may need to know about a few journal articles for more essay-based subject but I don't think you have time to get into the detail. Remember that you aren't aiming for a first here, you are aiming for a 2:1 - you achieve a 2:1 by knowing the law and correctly/competently answering questions, not by showing particularly good knowledge or really wide reading.
Reply 11
Original post by roh

I did a Vac Scheme at Bakers at a couple of years ago and have a mark of 49 on my application. Its not the end of the world, as long as other marks are good and you have a good excuse! I got grilled about it at every law firm I've been too...
Reply 12
Original post by Lightyear
I did a Vac Scheme at Bakers at a couple of years ago and have a mark of 49 on my application. Its not the end of the world, as long as other marks are good and you have a good excuse! I got grilled about it at every law firm I've been too...

Ah OK, I was just going by their Chambers Student bit. It would seem OP should be fine then, just prepared for a grilling!
Reply 13
Original post by Lightyear

49 for a module? or for just one part of a module e.g. a single essay? Because I recently received 50 marks in an essay:|
Reply 14
49 for a module? or for just one part of a module e.g. a single essay? Because I recently received 50 marks in an essay:|

49 for the whole module...
Reply 15
If you only have 5 weeks, you simply don't have time to read around the subject. I would stick to textbooks, make sure you are using textbooks that make it efficient to learn from and practice lots of exam problem questions. You may need to know about a few journal articles for more essay-based subject but I don't think you have time to get into the detail. Remember that you aren't aiming for a first here, you are aiming for a 2:1 - you achieve a 2:1 by knowing the law and correctly/competently answering questions, not by showing particularly good knowledge or really wide reading.

Although I won't be able to read around the subject, I'm quite confused how I could prove that I've done this extra reading in the exams anyway! For example: My criminal exams are all problem questions. I don't think there is really room/time to discuss the different theories etc.
Although I won't be able to read around the subject, I'm quite confused how I could prove that I've done this extra reading in the exams anyway! For example: My criminal exams are all problem questions. I don't think there is really room/time to discuss the different theories etc.

I agree, you only have time to deal with the problem not talk about wider theories.

However, journal articles can really improve your understanding. Journal articles are especially helpful where the case-law seems to be contradictory or is confusing, and can help you prepare a "road map" through the case-law.

There is a real difference between people who simply recite case names and basic propositions, and people who really understand complex case-law and understand why one case was decided one way and another similar case was decided the other way. Journal articles sometimes help with that, though admittedly you wouldn't always cite the article. You might cite the article if the case-law is genuinely contradictory and the academic proposes a "road map" that you think a court would find convincing.

Quick Reply

Latest