The Student Room Group

M4 (1st June 2012, Fri AM)

There must be people here doing this exam. Anyone started revising for it? I still have trouble with relative motion problems. Is anyone doing model solutions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
you done example 2 of chp 4?
Reply 2
Original post by Az_016
you done example 2 of chp 4?

Which textbook, new or old one?
Reply 3
Original post by Zhy
Which textbook, new or old one?

The new one. Could u please explain why the air resistance is in the same direction as the tension? Shouldn't it be acting down, in the direction of the particle's weight seen as air resistance opposes motion? The same goes for all the examples.

Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by Az_016
The new one. Could u please explain why the air resistance is in the same direction as the tension? Shouldn't it be acting down, in the direction of the particle's weight seen as air resistance opposes motion? The same goes for all the examples.

Thanks

Apparently it's just convention. I posted a thread about the same thing here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1919845

As if this exam wasn't hard enough. :rolleyes:
Reply 5
Yeah I know. Dreading this exam
Reply 6
Original post by Az_016
Yeah I know. Dreading this exam

Have you finished the content yet? I finished it about 6 weeks ago but I may need to go over it again, relative motion in particular. They seem to ask some strange collisions questions too (in the 2003 paper).
Reply 7
Original post by Zhy
Have you finished the content yet? I finished it about 6 weeks ago but I may need to go over it again, relative motion in particular. They seem to ask some strange collisions questions too (in the 2003 paper).

Need to do chapter 1
Reply 8
Original post by Az_016
Need to do chapter 1

Ah, right. The most annoying chapter... you doing M5?
Reply 9
Original post by Zhy
Ah, right. The most annoying chapter... you doing M5?

Yh screwed on inertia though
Reply 10
Original post by Az_016
Yh screwed on inertia though

Lol, I learned the proofs, and then forgot them. All I remember is addition and stretching rules, got to go over that again. What other modules you doing?
Reply 11
Original post by Zhy
Lol, I learned the proofs, and then forgot them. All I remember is addition and stretching rules, got to go over that again. What other modules you doing?

All of them
Reply 12
Original post by Az_016
All of them

Haha same here, where are you at with S3/S4?

I'm worried about D2... you done that yet?
Reply 13
Original post by Zhy
Haha same here, where are you at with S3/S4?

I'm worried about D2... you done that yet?

Done chp 1-3 of d2. None of stats. What's s3 and 4 like?

Any particular reason why you're doing all of them?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Az_016
Done chp 1-3 of d2. None of stats. What's s3 and 4 like?

Any particular reason why you're doing all of them?

I've done chapter 6 of D2 only, the rest looks so boring...

S3 is a bit long but it's interesting. 5 chapters. First chapter's dead easy (combining 2 normal distributions, just some adding and multiplying), second chapter is boring (sampling methods, you got to memorise them), third chapter is the most important (it's the only real 'proofy' part of S3). 4th chapter is goodness of fit tests, for example, proving that a set of data can be modelled by a certain type of distribution. Final chapter's really easy, just spearman's rank and revisiting pmcc from S1.

S4 is really short, only 3 chapters but tricky to remember the formulae for t-distribution and Fisher-distributions, so many different kinds of hypothesis testing. Basically S4 is all about hypothesis tests, but they really shell out everything (hypothesis test for variance, standard deviation, one sample procedures, two sample procedures, etc). S3 is more interesting.

I really need to learn D2 (and D1). But got chem and physics revision to do. :frown:

Doing all of them to free up time in Year 13. Hoping applying to uni with 3 A-levels will help me a bit. What about you?
Reply 15
Original post by Zhy
I've done chapter 6 of D2 only, the rest looks so boring...

S3 is a bit long but it's interesting. 5 chapters. First chapter's dead easy (combining 2 normal distributions, just some adding and multiplying), second chapter is boring (sampling methods, you got to memorise them), third chapter is the most important (it's the only real 'proofy' part of S3). 4th chapter is goodness of fit tests, for example, proving that a set of data can be modelled by a certain type of distribution. Final chapter's really easy, just spearman's rank and revisiting pmcc from S1.

S4 is really short, only 3 chapters but tricky to remember the formulae for t-distribution and Fisher-distributions, so many different kinds of hypothesis testing. Basically S4 is all about hypothesis tests, but they really shell out everything (hypothesis test for variance, standard deviation, one sample procedures, two sample procedures, etc). S3 is more interesting.

I really need to learn D2 (and D1). But got chem and physics revision to do. :frown:

Doing all of them to free up time in Year 13. Hoping applying to uni with 3 A-levels will help me a bit. What about you?

Got 5 rejections for economics this year so thought id do this as a sixth a level to pimp up my application for next year
Yep I'm doing M4 and M5 this summer. Absolutely loving M4 apart from the relative motion chapter :angry: - I plan on finishing M5 within the next few weeks. Annoyingly FP1 and FP3 are on the same morning / afternoon as M4 and M5 respectively. :eek:
Nice to see some fellow mechanicians out in these waters though :bban:
Reply 17
Original post by Xtrapolation
Yep I'm doing M4 and M5 this summer. Absolutely loving M4 apart from the relative motion chapter :angry: - I plan on finishing M5 within the next few weeks. Annoyingly FP1 and FP3 are on the same morning / afternoon as M4 and M5 respectively. :eek:
Nice to see some fellow mechanicians out in these waters though :bban:

In chapter 4, Could u please explain why the air resistance is in the same direction as the tension? Shouldn't it be acting down, in the direction of the particle's weight seen as air resistance opposes motion? The same goes for all the examples.

Thanks
Reply 18
Has anybody here tried question 6 (the stability one) of January 2006 M4 paper ? I don't get how to do the part (a) of it.... Any help would be appreciated. :smile:
Reply 19
Has anybody here tried question 6 (the stability one) of January 2006 M4 paper ? I don't get how to do the part (a) of it.... Any help would be appreciated. m4 jan 2006 que 6.png

Quick Reply

Latest