The Student Room Group

Geology or German A level?

Hello. I plan on studying my A levels in September. I am currently enrolled to study Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics & Physics. I want to study 5 subjects and I am unsure of whether to study German or Geology. I received a grade D in my German GCSE exam in 2004 so I will have to brush up before September which I wouldn't find too hard.

However I think Geology sounds interesting and as a hillwalker and someone who is interested in nature I would find it quite fun. However, is it respected or valued? I am aiming for the top universities when I make my application, although I don't yet know which area of Science I would like to study a degree in.

Being a 'mature' student of 26 when I finish my A levels, I want to make a really strong and competitive application. Would I be better studying German or Geology?

(edited 11 years ago)
Bump :smile:
Reply 2
You should take whichever one you like better and are better at so that it won't affect your other subjects. As a fifth A-Level it won't make any difference to universities, unless at some point you decide you want to study Foreign Languages.
Reply 3
German is the more respected A level (and probably more useful too as an A level). However, you already have 4 very highly regarded subjects, so it doesn't matter what you do as a 5th. Just make it one you enjoy and think you can get a good grade in and not at the expense of the others.
Reply 4
German is hard at A Level, but good at the same time :biggrin:
Reply 5
I personally am choosing between German and Geography for my fourth alevel and ive chosen maths physics and chemistry as well.

I've heard lots of good things about German and although it's quite hard apparently some unis give priority to those with a foreign langauge and its also makes you more employable. But there's no point in doing it if you dont enjoy it, look into what you would do in the geology course and see how much it appeals to you. Personally I think i'll choose German as I enjoy it and I think it will help in the future. Just make sure you find out all the facts and know what each course will involve.

Hope that helps
Reply 6
Original post by Juniorr
I personally am choosing between German and Geography for my fourth alevel and ive chosen maths physics and chemistry as well.

I've heard lots of good things about German and although it's quite hard apparently some unis give priority to those with a foreign langauge and its also makes you more employable. But there's no point in doing it if you dont enjoy it, look into what you would do in the geology course and see how much it appeals to you. Personally I think i'll choose German as I enjoy it and I think it will help in the future. Just make sure you find out all the facts and know what each course will involve.

Hope that helps

Good choice :biggrin:
5 subjects sounds a bit much, especially that combination and especially after being out of school for so long.
GERMAN.
Enough said.
Reply 9
To be honest four subjects is already a lot. Five will be challenging.

Take German. Geology sounds interesting but you can always do it at uni with your science A levels.
Original post by Helloworld_95
5 subjects sounds a bit much, especially that combination and especially after being out of school for so long.

In my experience of studying GCSE's full time this year I have much more vigour and interest in my subjects than my classmates it would seem, not to mention I am very passionate about Science. I think I will be just fine studying 5, and if it becomes too much to bear I shall drop a subject. There is no harm in trying.

Thank you all for your replies, I think after pondering it for a few days I'll decide to go with German. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest