The Student Room Group

Best GCSE's for economics at a top uni?

Hello, I have been thinking about this a lot (especially during my exams as I am revising many subjects and find some interesting) and I really need help with choosing the right A levels to study economics at a top uni (preferably Cambridge/Warwick etc.) I did the follow gcse's and this is what I hope to get:

Maths - A* (I already have this)
Statistics - A*
Science Core - A*
Science Additional - A/A*
English Language - A
English Lit - B
Geography - A*
History - A/A*
Applied ICT - A*A* (it is a double award which is one of the hardest gcses personally)
R.E. A* (short course)
Music - C (considering no one in my school has got anything higher than a B at gcse music)
Citizenship - A/A* (short course)

I know that for economics in a good uni, you need to have atleast maths and further maths (which my school already provides) and I know that I will need these. However what are the other 2/3 subjects should I pick? I am considering taking 2/3 of economics, geography, physics and biology. But I don't know which 2 (or 3) to pick because I know that my school will only allow me to do 5 (that even considering I get the grades which I talked about above), so which A levels should I pick??? Thanks!
(edited 11 years ago)
5 ASes is unecessary. You risk not getting good enough grades cos you're spreading yourself thinly, especially when doing subjects as hard as maths and FM.

If a courses entry requirements are AAA, then getting BBBB won't be good enough.

Maths, further maths, a language and something like economics/chemistry/physics/or even literature or history would be good.
The average student admitted to cambridge had 5 A's at A level so don't listen to anyone who says 5 is a waste of time if you want to do it, then do :smile:

As you mentioned, take Maths and further Maths, I'd say it would be silly not to take economics even though it is not a requirement. Then choose any two of the three you said if you like them :smile: if you are worried about the workload I would suggest that Geography is significantly easier than Bio/Physics so maybe you would be best advised to take one of the sciences and geography alongside the three others.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by Monkeysuit.
The average student admitted to cambridge had 5 A's at A level so don't listen to anyone who says 5 is a waste of time if you want to do it, then do :smile:

As you mentioned, take Maths and further Maths, I'd say it would be silly not to take economics even though it is not a requirement. Then choose any two of the three you said if you like them :smile: if you are worried about the workload I would suggest that Geography is significantly easier than Bio/Physics so maybe you would be best advised to take one of the sciences and geography alongside the three others.

Good luck :smile:

Source?

Uni requirements are 3.5 a-levels at the most. By doing extra subjects, you're risking doing average/bad in all of them.
I want to do Economics at Uni
I'm doing Maths
Further Maths
Economics or Business studies (not sure yet)
Government and Politics
and Spanish

600 ucas points != 5A's at A level

The entry requirement for IB is 40-42 which provides over 600 ucas points and inflates that average, then there's other qualifications like Music Exams, EPQ, CeFS and DipFS, etc. to inflate the average tariff.
Original post by Clare~Bear
Source?

Uni requirements are 3.5 a-levels at the most. By doing extra subjects, you're risking doing average/bad in all of them.

The guardian published an article about it recently.

Your point about risking doing badly in all of them is incorrect. If you will do well, you will do well regardless, you just have to manage your time better. It's not even that difficult, I did 6 AS' and have four friends who did 8. Three of those received offers from cambridge and they were all offered A*A*AAB in the 5 A2's they carried on.
The guardian published an article about it recently.

Your point about risking doing badly in all of them is incorrect. If you will do well, you will do well regardless, you just have to manage your time better. It's not even that difficult, I did 6 AS' and have four friends who did 8. Three of those received offers from cambridge and they were all offered A*A*AAB in the 5 A2's they carried on.

You don't have to be so smug. Not everyone is capable of that.
Original post by Clare~Bear
You don't have to be so smug. Not everyone is capable of that.

I'm not intending to be smug, I'm not saying that doing more AS' isn't hard, I'm saying managing your time isn't hard.

Sorry if I came across smug, I just hate it when people give incorrect advice.
Reply 9
I'd say:
Maths
FM
History
Economics.
They all tie in quite nicely.
Reply 10
I'm not intending to be smug, I'm not saying that doing more AS' isn't hard, I'm saying managing your time isn't hard.

Sorry if I came across smug, I just hate it when people give incorrect advice.

Taking 5 A levels will give you no advantage over someone taking 4 A levels.
Oxbridge explicitly state this and I myself did 4 A levels to A2 and was told it wouldn't hinder or increase my chances of getting an offer from the universities I applied to. (I emailed numerous admissions tutors)

If anything the time spent on doing that 5th, most likely non relevant A level would be better spent preparing for interview questions and getting that tricky A* in Further Maths.

At the OP I would recommend Economics, Maths, Further Maths and any other A level you enjoy/think you would do well in.

Quick Reply