The Student Room Group

WJEC Biology BY5 Exam 22/06/2012 Official Discussion and revision thread

Hey guys!

I've been looking around TSR and haven't been able to find any threads about this exam that's coming up, so I thought I would create it myself! Just thought that we could use this for revision tips, etc, especially as there are only 2 past papers available! I also hope that there are more WJEC A Level people doing Biology as I don't know that many colleges/sixth forms/schools that do the specification apart from mine, and we are a pretty big college! :smile:

So yeah, any help, questions, discussions or revision tips can be posted here! And good luck to everyone taking this exam, its my last one of my A2 year, and will be so glad when it's over!

Enjoy! :smile:
Reply 1
does anyone kind have links to bi2 and bi5 old style wjec papers please . would be so grateful x
Reply 2
Thanks for starting this thread. I was hoping somebody would. your right not many colleges go for wjec and i can see why! The OCR and Edexcel specifications are much more straightfoward.

How far have you got with your revision? i am just finishing the final section today and will start doing past paper questions tommorow. However I do need to revisit everything again.
Reply 3
I'm glad I managed to find a WJEC BY5 thread.

Just wondering, what would be the best way to define Mendel's 1st and 2nd Law's of inheritance?
Reply 4
Original post by aisha:)
Thanks for starting this thread. I was hoping somebody would. your right not many colleges go for wjec and i can see why! The OCR and Edexcel specifications are much more straightfoward.

How far have you got with your revision? i am just finishing the final section today and will start doing past paper questions tommorow. However I do need to revisit everything again.

Its OK! And I actually like the syllabus for WJEC, the only thing I would complain about is how BY5 bangs on about genetics the entire time, and then just randomly sticks global warming and human influences etc at the end, just something tedious to add on that doesn't link in. Oh, as well as the bad revision guide that has no pictures, although I do have the slightly better one with pictures now! And well, I've typed out the ENTIRE revision guide with pictures, well as as doing the TWO past papers available, although i shall be doing past papers from other exam boards, and from the old spec in the meantime :biggrin: Its annoying how BY4 is such a small unit, well, takes up about 50-ish pages in the revision guide, and then BY5 takes up about 70+, they could be a bit more equal!
Reply 5
Original post by Pol
I'm glad I managed to find a WJEC BY5 thread.

Just wondering, what would be the best way to define Mendel's 1st and 2nd Law's of inheritance?

mendels first law 'the characteristics of an organism are determined by factors which occur in pairs. only one of a pair of factors can be represented in a single gamete'

mendels second law 'Either one of a pair of contrasted characters may combine with either of another pair'

this is what i have written in my notes... think i might have got it directly from the wjec book but cant really remember.
Reply 6
hi guys just wondering if we need to know about double fertilisation?
Reply 7
mendels first law 'the characteristics of an organism are determined by factors which occur in pairs. only one of a pair of factors can be represented in a single gamete'

mendels second law 'Either one of a pair of contrasted characters may combine with either of another pair'

this is what i have written in my notes... think i might have got it directly from the wjec book but cant really remember.

Thank You, That seems to make more sense compared to my notes. Guess I'll just have to learn the definitions word to word now.
Reply 8
Can anyone advise me on how to revise Transcription and translation and PCR... i seem to get the two trans mixed up and PCR is just a little ocnfusing for me :smile:
Reply 9

Do you think you would be able to help me with the following question??

"Describe, with use of diagrams, how events during meiosis explain Mendel's first and second laws (law of segregation and independent assortment respectively)"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending