The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Applying after A levels - grades required?

I'm aware that some universities expect applicants who have already completed their A levels to have hogher grades than the standard offer. For instance, the standard offer at Cambridge is A*AA but they say that students who apply after doing A levels need at least 2 A*s to stand a chance. I was wondering if anyone here knew if a similar thing happens at Leeds. So, for example, if a course asks for AAA would someone with AAA in their A2s be a competitive applicant, or would Leeds expect 1 or more A*s? I'm looking at courses in the biological sciences faculty but I expect the same principles apply across the university.
Reply 1
Original post by para:lel
I'm aware that some universities expect applicants who have already completed their A levels to have hogher grades than the standard offer. For instance, the standard offer at Cambridge is A*AA but they say that students who apply after doing A levels need at least 2 A*s to stand a chance. I was wondering if anyone here knew if a similar thing happens at Leeds. So, for example, if a course asks for AAA would someone with AAA in their A2s be a competitive applicant, or would Leeds expect 1 or more A*s? I'm looking at courses in the biological sciences faculty but I expect the same principles apply across the university.

when i applied (post a-levels) it didn't make a difference - i got offers when i had results that were the same points than they were asking for in their requirements. for example i got A*AC which is equivalent to AAB in points but i got in to places which asked for AAB or even AAA. (i got offers from durham, york, bath, nottingham and cardiff)
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
OK thanks, that's quite encouraging. Anyone have any experience of post A-level application to Leeds?
Reply 3
I have some experience of this - you wouldn't be asked for higher grades just because you have already taken your A levels. If the offer was AAA and you had obtained AAA, providing your application was good that would typically get you an unconditional offer. The only time this may change is if you are re-sitting. In some cases, very popular, highly selective courses may ask that a student taking re-sits obtains grades one higher than the typical offer, so AAB may go up to AAA - but this is not always the case.

It is unlikely however, for selective courses that they would accept lower grades if you had already taken the exams. The expectation is that you are competing with students who are going to get the required grades so there is no reason for them to accept someone who already has lower.

Does this help? Make sense? I am happy to clarify if not.

Quick Reply

Latest