The Student Room Group

Guys, please help me to choose what uni to apply for!

Hey guys, please help! I am an A-LEVEL student in China and I am gonna apply for computer science in UK unis this year, I toke math(AS and A2 in one year),physics,chemistry and computing in ALEVEL, if I got A* in math and A in other subjects, with an band 6.5 in ILETS.Also I got 3 A* and 3 A in IGCSE.
Can you guys what unis I should apply for? Or can I get into Imperial College?How is the CS course in UCL,Edinbugh and St.Andrew?
If you can provide some information for me,I will be so grateful!

Sorry guys, the saying above may confused you. I meant that I toke mathematics of AS+A2 in one year, but just AS of physics, chemistry and computing.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can get into any uni in the UK with those grades (not sure about the IELTS score) if your personal statement is good. The league table at http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Computer%20Science is pretty decent this year.

CS is good at all of them.
Reply 2
Original post by tooosh
You can get into any uni in the UK with those grades (not sure about the IELTS score) if your personal statement is good. The league table at http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Computer%20Science is pretty decent this year.

CS is good at all of them.

well thanks, however actually I didn't have any work experiance or something similar, is this goona affect my application of top unis?
Reply 3
Original post by SAMLAM
well thanks, however actually I didn't have any work experiance or something similar, is this goona affect my application of top unis?

No, but you will need to show a strong interest.
Reply 4
Original post by tooosh
No, but you will need to show a strong interest.

But how? Are you a student of cs?
Reply 5
Original post by SAMLAM
But how? Are you a student of cs?

Talk about programs you have made on your ps??
Reply 6
Original post by Blutooth
Talk about programs you have made on your ps??

sorry, actually not much programs made although i read some books
Reply 7
Original post by SAMLAM
sorry, actually not much programs made although i read some books

Why don't you talk about the books you have read and how that relates to the course?
Also, make some programs.
Reply 8
Why don't you talk about the books you have read and how that relates to the course?
Also, make some programs.

Oh!Right!Thank you so much!Are you a student in Oxford of cs?
Reply 9
Original post by SAMLAM
Oh!Right!Thank you so much!Are you a student in Oxford of cs?

Yes, or rather I will be this October.
Reply 10
Yes, or rather I will be this October.

oh...i see, so what did you konw about computing before you applied for oxford, because although Oxford claims that students who apply for cs don't need to learn it before, but i think most of the student who can get into oxford ,like you, must have a wide range of skills in computing.
Reply 11
Original post by SAMLAM
oh...i see, so what did you konw about computing before you applied for oxford, because although Oxford claims that students who apply for cs don't need to learn it before, but i think most of the student who can get into oxford ,like you, must have a wide range of skills in computing.

To be honest, not very much. I had written a couple of programs and mentioned one in my cv. I knew just a bit of pascal. I think they are more interested in your logical abilities as most of the questions I got at interview were logic puzzles. However, I'm sure they like it when students are enthusiastic about computing. When I went up for interview, I talked about AI and the interface between neuroscience and computer science. That probably helped me get an offer.
Reply 12
To be honest, not very much. I had written a couple of programs and mentioned one in my cv. I knew just a bit of pascal. I think they are more interested in your logical abilities as most of the questions I got at interview were logic puzzles. However, I'm sure they like it when students are enthusiastic about computing. When I went up for interview, I talked about AI and the interface between neuroscience and computer science. That probably helped me get an offer.

Whatever, they chose you means that you are a great student that thay recognised. Did you find difficult to do MAT?
Reply 13
Original post by SAMLAM
Whatever, they chose you means that you are a great student that thay recognised. Did you find difficult to do MAT?

Thank you :colondollar:
I felt it was quite time-constrained. Going on how well I thought I did, I probably scored as highly as an average offer-holder.
With an A* in maths and As in your other subjects you should be able to apply to most universities for computer science; almost all courses require maths and very few places will require higher grades than A*AA.

Be aware that the course content will differ substantially between universities. Courses at Oxford and Warwick, for example, are very focused on maths and logic, whereas courses at places such as St Andrews or Bristol are more practical right from the start and focus much more on software development.

As for experience, it probably won't be required but it definitely helps in the same way that reading books helps - it demonstrates your interest. The more you can do to show your commitment to the subject, the better, both in interviews and on your statement / CV.

I'm afraid I don't know much about the specifics of UCL, Imperial or Edinburgh, but they are all well known for being good universities.
We'd be happy to see an application from you with those A Level subjects/grades for one of the Oxford Computer Science courses. Ideally we'd like to see Further Maths, but it's not essential, and you've got a good set of science subjects in there.

However, you would need to get your IELTS score up, or meet our English Language requirements in some other way.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by elliotdavies
With an A* in maths and As in your other subjects you should be able to apply to most universities for computer science; almost all courses require maths and very few places will require higher grades than A*AA.

Be aware that the course content will differ substantially between universities. Courses at Oxford and Warwick, for example, are very focused on maths and logic, whereas courses at places such as St Andrews or Bristol are more practical right from the start and focus much more on software development.

As for experience, it probably won't be required but it definitely helps in the same way that reading books helps - it demonstrates your interest. The more you can do to show your commitment to the subject, the better, both in interviews and on your statement / CV.

I'm afraid I don't know much about the specifics of UCL, Imperial or Edinburgh, but they are all well known for being good universities.

Thanks a lot! Actually I am exactly interested in the practical side of computer science, but Oxford is my favourite uni so I will apply for it:smile:
Reply 17
Thank you :colondollar:
I felt it was quite time-constrained. Going on how well I thought I did, I probably scored as highly as an average offer-holder.

Speaking of MAT, I think your score is already bery good, coz I found it difficult to do when practize, the way of solving probelm in MAT is very different from alevel math
Reply 18
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
We'd be happy to see an application from you with those A Level subjects/grades for one of the Oxford Computer Science courses. Ideally we'd like to see Further Maths, but it's not essential, and you've got a good set of science subjects in there.

However, you would need to get your IELTS score up, or meet our English Language requirements in some other way.

Thanks!:smile:I am so expecting to apply for Oxford in this October,and I wil work on ILETS this summer vacation in order to improve my score
Reply 19
Original post by SAMLAM
Hey guys, please help! I am an A-LEVEL student in China and I am gonna apply for computer science in UK unis this year, I toke math(AS and A2 in one year),physics,chemistry and computing in ALEVEL, if I got A* in math and A in other subjects, with an band 6.5 in ILETS.Also I got 3 A* and 3 A in IGCSE.
Can you guys what unis I should apply for? Or can I get into Imperial College?How is the CS course in UCL,Edinbugh and St.Andrew?
If you can provide some information for me,I will be so grateful!

You took them 3 subjects and got them grades in one year?!

Hot damn!

Quick Reply