The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by XxelliexX
I find it ironic you should say that considering your signature is supporting the biggest benefit scroungers in the country.

And I find it funny that you had time to look at all that!
(Off-topic I know) :'(
Original post by punkski
easy there :rolleyes: the people you say that to could easily go on to become bigger, 'better' people than you. so don't judge, yeah?

Bigger, better than me? Is that what you judge the greatness of a person by? Someone could be an investment banker and still be a cold hearted, unsympathetic dolt, they shouldn't be given any preferential treatment just because they are 'bigger and better' than the person cleaning their office.
Original post by iSoftie
And I find it funny that you had time to look at all that!
(Off-topic I know) :'(

Huh?
Reply 83
Original post by EffieFlowers
Bigger, better than me? Is that what you judge the greatness of a person by? Someone could be an investment banker and still be a cold hearted, unsympathetic dolt, they shouldn't be given any preferential treatment just because they are 'bigger and better' than the person cleaning their office.

Yo man at the end of the day David Haye is "bigger" than Brian Cox so :/

Huh?

It's just how did you find out he is some sort of royalist?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 84
I was being hyperbolic when I said they were benefit scroungers. I don't care how much they do, the fact that they were born into a set position in life and have their expenses paid for them by the rest of the country is wrong. The idea that the queen should be considered as any more important or worthy of tax-payers money just because she was born into a certain family is wrong, and goes against the whole notion of equality, hard work and social mobility.

Edit: And no, it wasn't thoughtless. I have thought about it lots.

That may be, but the description of benefit scroungers is completely unrelated to living an all expenses paid lifestyle, for reasons I stated in my last post. Hence hyperbole is not an excuse for what you said. It was just wrong. I'm not arguing pro/against republican, merely that the royal family can simply not be described as benefit scroungers.
Original post by iSoftie

It's just how did you find out he is some sort of royalist?

I was referring to his signature which has pro-monarchy pictures on it? :s-smilie:
Original post by tufc
No, I'm actually comfortable in Mummy and Daddy's middle class, safe home. I have a widescreen TV, a radiator next to my bed, and a car. Such comforts have been bestowed upon me by my parents' hard work. It's not their job to pay for someone else's kid.

The sad thing is, you'd never realise how lucky you are and how easy you have it. It's so much easier to turn your head away from people who actually have it hard and somehow tell yourself that you are in the better position and worthy to be so because 'you're family has worked harder'.

To be honest, you're sig sums you up perfectly. :tongue:
Reply 87
You. You are what is wrong with the world.

For advocating personal responsibility? What is, in fact, wrong with the world is the widespread feeling of entitlement to other people's money.
You. You are what is wrong with the world.

He symbolises what is wrong with the world because his parents house him, feed him and give him some luxuries to enjoy? You seem to have a serious chip on your shoulder.

Original post by silentlife
What planet do you live on with 360 day years? :tongue:

He meant she works 360 days a year, not that years are 360 days long.
Original post by Fynch101
That may be, but the description of benefit scroungers is completely unrelated to living an all expenses paid lifestyle, for reasons I stated in my last post. Hence hyperbole is not an excuse for what you said. It was just wrong. I'm not arguing pro/against republican, merely that the royal family can simply not be described as benefit scroungers.

I didn't say that as an 'excuse', that would imply I thought what I had said was wrong, which I don't. We clearly disagree.
Original post by fudgesundae
He symbolises what is wrong with the world because his parents house him, feed him and give him some luxuries to enjoy? You seem to have a serious chip on your shoulder.

No, his pompous attitude, inability to appreciate how lucky he is, and most importantly his belief that he has no obligation to help those less fortunate than himself because his life is fine so why bother worrying about the other people?

And please, it's getting annoying that people on this thread seem to assume they know things about me which just aren't true.
Reply 91
All the people dismissing the op with 'get a job' b.s, i'd like to see how you'd fare at 16 being out on your ear with no family or friends willing to take you in. The vast majority of people would be up **** creak. Get real ffs.
Reply 92
Your mum is outta order

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300
No, his pompous attitude, inability to appreciate how lucky he is, and most importantly his belief that he has no obligation to help those less fortunate than himself because his life is fine so why bother worrying about the other people?

Why does he have an obligation to help those less fortunate than himself? We have an obligation to help our own, not a random person on the other side of the country who we have never met and never will meet. Poor people thinking that they have a right to be helped by the rich are everything that is wrong with this world. Those less fortunate than the other poster are the people that have an obligation to help themselves.

And please, it's getting annoying that people on this thread seem to assume they know things about me which just aren't true.

"...despite not being from a rich middle class home and without being mollycoddled by my parents."

Like I said, chip on your shoulder.
This is out of topic from OP but ptsd can affect a person the way he explained. I was abuse (sexually, emotionally and physically) for pretty much my whole life and I do get violent outburst because of my ptsd.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Sensation Z710e
Original post by anonymousaudit
Well done, seriously enjoy your time at uni and boss your exams, come out and get an amazing job. You're a sweet girl with a lot of integrity x

Oh wow, I honestly think that's one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me :') Thank you very much :smile: x
Original post by glelin96
I did not say that any of those things constitute a comfortable meaningful existence, how about I put it into layman's terms?

Comfortable I would class as being very content in your lifestyle, be it materialistically, emotionally or physically.

I would class the next part of my statement, meaningful to mean again that someone is happy with their lifestyle, meaning that they are making a difference to the world around them. My parents are obviously doing this by earning a higher than average income and paying taxes for people like Adam to be on benefits. Other than this, the charity that my Father does a lot of donating/working for affects the lives of MANY people.

Does that suffice for an explanation?

I'm sorry, you remind me too much of Draco Malfoy to take you seriously.
Why does he have an obligation to help those less fortunate than himself? We have an obligation to help our own, not a random person on the other side of the country who we have never met and never will meet. Poor people thinking that they have a right to be helped by the rich are everything that is wrong with this world. Those less fortunate than the other poster are the people that have an obligation to help themselves.

Yes, it is precisely that attitude that I think is wrong with the world. Selfishness, and lack of compassion.

"...despite not being from a rich middle class home and without being mollycoddled by my parents."

Like I said, chip on your shoulder.

You missed out the part where I said I was actually very proud of myself for being in the situation that I am in despite not having this over-privileged upbringing.
Yes, it is precisely that attitude that I think is wrong with the world. Selfishness, and lack of compassion.

Selfishness? Wanting to help your own is not selfishness. And excuse me for having more compassion for my family than John from Newcastle who can't find a job. A basic welfare safety net is a good idea, it allows us to help those who can't help themselves. But anything more than that is getting ridiculous, it becomes a disincentive to find work. I honestly don't see how me wanting to spend my money on my family instead of a person I don't know shows selfishness and a lack of compassion.

You missed out the part where I said I was actually very proud of myself for being in the situation that I am in despite not having this over-privileged upbringing.

You should be, you're in a fantastic position. However it's the little jibe at those who have had a more comfortable upbringing which demonstrates my point.
Reply 99
Original post by EffieFlowers
The sad thing is, you'd never realise how lucky you are and how easy you have it. It's so much easier to turn your head away from people who actually have it hard and somehow tell yourself that you are in the better position and worthy to be so because 'you're family has worked harder'.

To be honest, you're sig sums you up perfectly. :tongue:

I simply protect people's right to work almost exclusively for the good of their own children. I realise I'm very lucky; however I don't see why it's my parents' job to remedy the bad luck of other people's children.

And as TSR recently voted in agreement with my signature, I'll hazard a guess that majority opinion also concurs with me on this.

Latest

Trending

Trending