The Student Room Group

So guys, once rebels beat Assad to death, what do you think will happen?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by B-Man.
:rofl: What the hell are you talking about you moron. Same-sex sexual activity is already illegal in Syria and the government does not allow for a LGBT rights movement to exist. I don't know what kind of egalitarian utopia you are picturing under Assad, but you need to snap out of it.

The penalty is upto 3 years in prison.

It's better to have that, than have the death sentence (which would surely come under Shariah, duh, through to a theocracy or simply an Islamist rule, which just about all the surrounding nations have (all of them in fact, aside from Israel :rolleyes:)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by cl_steele
Everythings relative and relatively speaking we dont really have any of these issues you speak of:

Sodium fluoride - not an issue

Okay, let's see: fluoride doesn't actually help your teeth at all, it can lead to fluorosis and studies in mainstream peer-reviewed medical journals and government reports now document the fact that serious harms are associated with exposure to small amounts of fluoride - including hip fracture, cancer, and intellectual impairment.

"Medical ethics, morality, economics, legal and political issues have not deterred fluoride promoters in their efforts. Indeed, the problem has been declared a legislative matter, rather than under the jurisdiction of courts of law which might introduce such notions as ethics and reasonableness. The main beneficiaries from fluoride use are the big industries that find a profitable outlet for their otherwise embarrassing toxic byproducts. It is time for change."

"The situation just described characterises the essence of the National Toxicology Program study of the effect of sodium fluoride on rats and mice (NTP Technical Report 1990), except that one set of cancer data showed a statistically significant effect of sodium fluoride in causing cancer-that is, the null hypothesis that fluoride does not cause cancer was rejected. With a very small chance of being wrong, the study showed that sodium fluoride does cause cancer at cumulative doses comparable to those ingested by humans over a number of years."

"The research on fluoride and the brain has been fueled by 18 human studies from China, India, Iran, and Mexico finding elevated levels of fluoride exposure to be associated with IQ deficits in children. Fluoride's impact on IQ is exacerbated among children with low-iodine exposure."

"The impact of fluoride on children's IQ has been documented even after controlling for children's lead exposure, iodine exposure, parental education and income status, and other known factors that might impact the results."

"Fluoridation of water supplies was initiated prior to long-term studies of its effects on bone density. Recent studies suggest that fluoride accumulates with age and may reach toxic bone levels in a person's lifetime (at a water content of 0.97 ppm)"

"The scientific case for saying the administration of fluoride is positively correlated with excess hip fractures is very solid. Ironically, "fluoride therapy" has been used experimentally as a possible cure for osteoporosis for about 25 years, though it is not yet approved for general use. It turns out that not only does fluoride therapy have serious side effects, but it actually causes a three-fold increase in non-vertebral fractures (Riggs et al. 1991). This is because, although the therapy increases bone density, the bone structure is seriously compromised, forming a coarse crystalline matrix with reduced tensile strength; but tensile strength is necessary resist to bending fractures, including those affecting the hip joint."

Amazing for something that isn't 'an issue'.

mercury fillings - not an issue, if you dont want them you dont have to get them and either way brush your teeth

I don't have any fillings, but this is a scientifically accepted issue.

"Scientists agree that dental amalgam fillings leach mercury into the mouth."

Dr Tom Nyerges, a dentist from Luton, said: "It is now scientifically proven that small amounts of mercury are released from amalgam fillings every time you chew or have a hot drink.

"It is very small amounts and nobody is really sure what effect it has, but mercury is a highly toxic substance, we know that for sure."

"Campaigners blame the highly toxic mercury found in amalgam fillings for a range of ailments.

These include fatigue, depression heart conditions and Alzheimer's disease.
Earlier this month, the U.S. regulator dropped much of its reassuring language on the fillings from its website.

Instead it now says: 'Dental amalgams contain mercury, which may have neurotoxic effects on the nervous systems of developing children and foetuses.'"

"Norway and Denmark banned mercury from fillings earlier this year while Finland and Japan have severe restrictions.

More than half of an amalgam filling is made up of mercury, which is more poisonous than lead.

It is mixed with silver, copper and tin, forming a highly durable combination to lock in the mercury.

But it is now accepted that mercury vapour escapes and small amounts are passed into the bloodstream and organs."

Amazingly, this, also, isn't 'an issue'.

junk food - the less developed world has the likes of Mcdonalds aswell you know?

Why are you comparing the Western nations to the 'less developed world'? This isn't a competition. Something can be an issue and affect everyone in the world. Junk food is something that should be prohibited for the good of mankind. Why should people be condemned to terrible ailments because they were misled by corporations? One only has to walk down the street to see morbidly obese people. The human body was never designed to handle such weights. The only moderation is abstinence.

faux-health foods - again not an issue

So, companies posing products as 'healthy' alternatives to biscuits, sweets and bakery items aren't an issue? It is a well-known fact that most people don't bother to actually read the ingredients or the nutritional information. Should they be punished for being naive enough to trust these companies?

Channel 4 had a Dispatches special on this issue the other day. You can view it on 4OD.

crippling debt - our debts are serviceable, theirs arent so theyre not exactly 'crippling'

I was referring to the debts of the population, rather than that of the state.

squalid conditions - oh please even our ****tiest council estate looks like a mansion compared to the conditions some people in various African and Asian countries have to live in

Does that make them less squalid? Why are you comparing our standards to theirs? The Western nations have infinitely more money to spend on improving dilapidated and squalid conditions. I can't help but feel like you're grasping at straws here.

poor medical care - this barely merits a reply...

Survival rates are, generally, quite poor for the money that is spent.

"According to the World Health Organization (WHO), the United States spent more on health care per capita ($7,146), and more on health care as percentage of its GDP (15.2%), than any other nation in 2008."

"Some have argued that the system does not deliver equivalent value for the money spent. The USA pays twice as much yet lags behind other wealthy nations in such measures as infant mortality and life expectancy. Currently, the USA has a higher infant mortality rate than most of the world's industrialized nations. In the United States, life expectancy is 42nd in the world, after some other industrialized nations, lagging behind the other nations of the G5 (Japan, France, Germany, UK, USA) and just after Chile (35th) and Cuba (37th)."

"Life expectancy at birth in the USA, 78.49, is 50th in the world, below most developed nations and some developing nations."

Remember, I mentioned 'Western nations'. I believe that I've unequivocally backed up my point.

Also, you didn't offer a response. In fact, you haven't offered a response to any of my points. You have effectively put, 'no, no, no and no' without any justification.

out-of-control immigration - as above

"It is the illegal influx of job seekers from eastern Europe, Asia, South America and Africa that is really causing sleepless nights for some governments.

European Union member Spain, has called the level of immigration "unacceptable". Spain has long been a target of illegal immigrants from North Africa due to its relatively easy access from Morocco."

"On the social front are the soaring crime rates: rapes, domestic violence, honor killings, incest, forced child marriages, and public belligerence against European culture. On the economic front, it is even worse. There is enormous welfare fraud, financial support for polygamous families with bloated birthrates, and an overwhelming of these countries' healthcare systems.

In Europe, Canada, and Australia, there is growth of Immigrants scamming social services. One clever rascal in Canada (arrested in 2011) provided false Canadian citizenship documents to hundreds of people in the Middle East so they could collect benefits and tax refunds of up to $500,000. Even worse, none of the recipients actually lived in Canada. The Mounties caught him.

An Iranian immigrant was told by his Swedish social worker that there was no need to get a job because the Swedish government put checks in the mail each month. (Someone should find her and fire her.) Indeed Sweden does this, to the tune of about $7 billion every year, which has contributed to bringing the Swedish welfare state to the brink of bankruptcy. The same is true for Norway. Non-Western immigrants, they say, are ten times as likely to be on social assistance as native Norwegians.

Muslim immigrants in Denmark make up 5% of the population but consume 40% of welfare spending. In France, a polygamous Muslim father of 17 children was charged with welfare fraud when authorities discovered that two of his “wives” lived in Dubai for a year while continuing to get welfare benefits worth 10,000 Euros. One of his wives had been fined for driving while wearing a niqab that restricted her vision.

Australia, which is less tolerant of criminal immigrants than Europe, discovered that an Algerian immigrant and father of seven, Abdul Nacer Benbriks, on trial for terrorism, had been ordered deported three times, never worked a day in 19 years, and has cost the Australians millions in welfare payments, baby bonus checks, and other benefits.

Many well-known Islamic radicals are also on the dole. In London, Anjem Choudary, a notorious hate preacher, has bragged about receiving 25,000 pounds a year in benefits. He also threatened an attack during the recent royal wedding."

unacceptable social tension - I dont see running street battles over social conditions?

This ties in with the above point, and also the point to follow. Unless you live in the suburbs of a city, you probably won't have to deal with this. The 2011 riots were as a result of this social tension, even if you want to believe the official reason - that they were protesting the death of Mark Duggan.

segregation - who has been segregated ?:s-smilie:

Either you are the most delusional person in the world or you just walk around with your eyes closed. If you would care to look at Newham, Luton, Bradford, Tower Hamlets, Leicester and Birmingham, then you would see just what I'm referring to. Immigration has drastically changed the demographic of those areas beyond even the most extreme predictions. I very much doubt you would feel secure walking down the streets of Newham in the day or at night.

rampant disease - Hardly? the worst diseases youre likely to encounter in this country is HIV and that is in the severe minority, whilst if you take a jaunt over to DPRC and other similar countries you're liable to the likes of dengee fever, Ebola, WNV and various other nasty afflictions like the assorted haemoragic virus's

In short your little rant doesnt really have a leg to stand on, as i said the west may not be perfect but what is? compared to countless other countries around the world we serve as a becon of how they would wish to live we have a good healthcare system [contrary to what you say], democracy, civil liberties, a good standard of living etc.

Having shown up all of your "rebuttals", I will let you sleep with the belief that there isn't rampant disease.

I believe you may wish to re-evaluate your stance.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by ESPORTIVA
dictators have to go.

In place of what exactly? You sound like you are just churning out learned or programmed ideas.

WHY does a dictator have to go, given the alternative, why are you fixated on the "dictator" status (really man?). I mean look at Libya, somewhere much better than Syria to start with, now look at it ....
Reply 43
Original post by Formerly Helpful_C
~

That's all very good but here's the thing.

ALL countries have (some, all or more) of these issues
NO country is perfect

All you have managed to do is highlight some issues with (as you call them: Western countries) but you haven't clarified as to why all of these issues have makde you a supporter of dictators.

In your initial post you said that all of those dictators or whatever you may call them have your support because they stand up against the USA. Then you listed a bunch of bad things about the US.

How in the world is that a logical argument?

You have yet to give any arguments about WHY YOU SUPPORT THOSE DICTATORS.

We all know all the things wrong with the US. But that doesn't mean we are all dictator-sympathizers.

Just clarify exactly why a) standing up to the US is a good thing and b) why you support those people who stand up to the US but also engage in massacres and corruption within their own countries
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 44
x

Mind giving me a link to that fluoride article, because it seems like utter crap.
Reply 45
Original post by prog2djent
In place of what exactly? You sound like you are just churning out learned or programmed ideas.

WHY does a dictator have to go, given the alternative, why are you fixated on the "dictator" status (really man?). I mean look at Libya, somewhere much better than Syria to start with, now look at it ....

I see your point, what im saying is people clearly are fed up with their leaders (they arent doing this for fun). For better or for worse people will rebel. Will the people who take over be any better? Maybe, maybe not, even so they rebelled. There isnt much chance for assad now.

However i do believe the west has no business in this matter.

By the way whats your opinion of saddam and the way in which he was removed from power?
Reply 46
Stay on topic please, any posts on fluoride and not about Syria will be warned and binned.
Reply 47
Original post by ESPORTIVA
I see your point, what im saying is people clearly are fed up with their leaders (they arent doing this for fun). For better or for worse people will rebel. Will the people who take over be any better? Maybe, maybe not, even so they rebelled. There isnt much chance for assad now.

However i do believe the west has no business in this matter.

By the way whats your opinion of saddam and the way in which he was removed from power?

I literally hardly know anything about Iraq, Saddam, Iran-Iraq, Kuwait, all that Jazz. I'll probably research it sometime (after I learn arabic) but its not a big event/current affair right now, I was 10/11 when it all started with Blair.

They are fed up with they're leaders, true, but I think what the people wanted was reform.
Original post by prog2djent
Insha'allah

After Assad is inevitably killed by either the FSA, Al-Tahweed, Al-Quada and affiliated mujahid groups, private military groups from the US, NATO, Saudi-Israeli-Nato money backed Terrorists .... what do you think will happen In syria?

Peace, democracy and Secularism ..... or, massive sectarian violence and we have the next Iraq on our hands, and given the Economic collapse, maybe, just maybe they (edit: the rebels FFS) can hope to become a Sharia'h state.

Well, ameen.

Assad is the beginning of the civil war which will intensify after his fall.
Okay, let's see: fluoride doesn't actually help your teeth at all, it can lead to fluorosis and studies in mainstream peer-reviewed medical journals and government reports now document the fact that serious harms are associated with exposure to small amounts of fluoride - including hip fracture, cancer, and intellectual impairment.

"Medical ethics, morality, economics, legal and political issues have not deterred fluoride promoters in their efforts. Indeed, the problem has been declared a legislative matter, rather than under the jurisdiction of courts of law which might introduce such notions as ethics and reasonableness. The main beneficiaries from fluoride use are the big industries that find a profitable outlet for their otherwise embarrassing toxic byproducts. It is time for change."

"The situation just described characterises the essence of the National Toxicology Program study of the effect of sodium fluoride on rats and mice (NTP Technical Report 1990), except that one set of cancer data showed a statistically significant effect of sodium fluoride in causing cancer-that is, the null hypothesis that fluoride does not cause cancer was rejected. With a very small chance of being wrong, the study showed that sodium fluoride does cause cancer at cumulative doses comparable to those ingested by humans over a number of years."

"The research on fluoride and the brain has been fueled by 18 human studies from China, India, Iran, and Mexico finding elevated levels of fluoride exposure to be associated with IQ deficits in children. Fluoride's impact on IQ is exacerbated among children with low-iodine exposure."

"The impact of fluoride on children's IQ has been documented even after controlling for children's lead exposure, iodine exposure, parental education and income status, and other known factors that might impact the results."

"Fluoridation of water supplies was initiated prior to long-term studies of its effects on bone density. Recent studies suggest that fluoride accumulates with age and may reach toxic bone levels in a person's lifetime (at a water content of 0.97 ppm)"

"The scientific case for saying the administration of fluoride is positively correlated with excess hip fractures is very solid. Ironically, "fluoride therapy" has been used experimentally as a possible cure for osteoporosis for about 25 years, though it is not yet approved for general use. It turns out that not only does fluoride therapy have serious side effects, but it actually causes a three-fold increase in non-vertebral fractures (Riggs et al. 1991). This is because, although the therapy increases bone density, the bone structure is seriously compromised, forming a coarse crystalline matrix with reduced tensile strength; but tensile strength is necessary resist to bending fractures, including those affecting the hip joint."

Dr Tom Nyerges, a dentist from Luton, said: "It is now scientifically proven that small amounts of mercury are released from amalgam fillings every time you chew or have a hot drink.

"It is very small amounts and nobody is really sure what effect it has, but mercury is a highly toxic substance, we know that for sure."

"Campaigners blame the highly toxic mercury found in amalgam fillings for a range of ailments.

Earlier this month, the U.S. regulator dropped much of its reassuring language on the fillings from its website.

Instead it now says: 'Dental amalgams contain mercury, which may have neurotoxic effects on the nervous systems of developing children and foetuses.'"

"Norway and Denmark banned mercury from fillings earlier this year while Finland and Japan have severe restrictions.

More than half of an amalgam filling is made up of mercury, which is more poisonous than lead.

It is mixed with silver, copper and tin, forming a highly durable combination to lock in the mercury.

But it is now accepted that mercury vapour escapes and small amounts are passed into the bloodstream and organs."

junk food - the less developed world has the likes of Mcdonalds aswell you know?

Why are you comparing the Western nations to the 'less developed world'? This isn't a competition. Something can be an issue and affect everyone in the world. Junk food is something that should be prohibited for the good of mankind. Why should people be condemned to terrible ailments because they were misled by corporations? One only has to walk down the street to see morbidly obese people. The human body was never designed to handle such weights. The only moderation is abstinence.

So, companies posing products as 'healthy' alternatives to biscuits, sweets and bakery items aren't an issue? It is a well-known fact that most people don't bother to actually read the ingredients or the nutritional information. Should they be punished for being naive enough to trust these companies?

Channel 4 had a Dispatches special on this issue the other day. You can view it on 4OD.

Does that make them less squalid? Why are you comparing our standards to theirs? The Western nations have infinitely more money to spend on improving dilapidated and squalid conditions. I can't help but feel like you're grasping at straws here.

"According to the World Health Organization (WHO), the United States spent more on health care per capita ($7,146), and more on health care as percentage of its GDP (15.2%), than any other nation in 2008."

"Some have argued that the system does not deliver equivalent value for the money spent. The USA pays twice as much yet lags behind other wealthy nations in such measures as infant mortality and life expectancy. Currently, the USA has a higher infant mortality rate than most of the world's industrialized nations. In the United States, life expectancy is 42nd in the world, after some other industrialized nations, lagging behind the other nations of the G5 (Japan, France, Germany, UK, USA) and just after Chile (35th) and Cuba (37th)."

"Life expectancy at birth in the USA, 78.49, is 50th in the world, below most developed nations and some developing nations."

Remember, I mentioned 'Western nations'. I believe that I've unequivocally backed up my point.

Also, you didn't offer a response. In fact, you haven't offered a response to any of my points. You have effectively put, 'no, no, no and no' without any justification.

"It is the illegal influx of job seekers from eastern Europe, Asia, South America and Africa that is really causing sleepless nights for some governments.

European Union member Spain, has called the level of immigration "unacceptable". Spain has long been a target of illegal immigrants from North Africa due to its relatively easy access from Morocco."

"On the social front are the soaring crime rates: rapes, domestic violence, honor killings, incest, forced child marriages, and public belligerence against European culture. On the economic front, it is even worse. There is enormous welfare fraud, financial support for polygamous families with bloated birthrates, and an overwhelming of these countries' healthcare systems.

In Europe, Canada, and Australia, there is growth of Immigrants scamming social services. One clever rascal in Canada (arrested in 2011) provided false Canadian citizenship documents to hundreds of people in the Middle East so they could collect benefits and tax refunds of up to $500,000. Even worse, none of the recipients actually lived in Canada. The Mounties caught him.

An Iranian immigrant was told by his Swedish social worker that there was no need to get a job because the Swedish government put checks in the mail each month. (Someone should find her and fire her.) Indeed Sweden does this, to the tune of about $7 billion every year, which has contributed to bringing the Swedish welfare state to the brink of bankruptcy. The same is true for Norway. Non-Western immigrants, they say, are ten times as likely to be on social assistance as native Norwegians.

Muslim immigrants in Denmark make up 5% of the population but consume 40% of welfare spending. In France, a polygamous Muslim father of 17 children was charged with welfare fraud when authorities discovered that two of his “wives” lived in Dubai for a year while continuing to get welfare benefits worth 10,000 Euros. One of his wives had been fined for driving while wearing a niqab that restricted her vision.

Australia, which is less tolerant of criminal immigrants than Europe, discovered that an Algerian immigrant and father of seven, Abdul Nacer Benbriks, on trial for terrorism, had been ordered deported three times, never worked a day in 19 years, and has cost the Australians millions in welfare payments, baby bonus checks, and other benefits.

Many well-known Islamic radicals are also on the dole. In London, Anjem Choudary, a notorious hate preacher, has bragged about receiving 25,000 pounds a year in benefits. He also threatened an attack during the recent royal wedding."

This ties in with the above point, and also the point to follow. Unless you live in the suburbs of a city, you probably won't have to deal with this. The 2011 riots were as a result of this social tension, even if you want to believe the official reason - that they were protesting the death of Mark Duggan.

Either you are the most delusional person in the world or you just walk around with your eyes closed. If you would care to look at Newham, Luton, Bradford, Tower Hamlets, Leicester and Birmingham, then you would see just what I'm referring to. Immigration has drastically changed the demographic of those areas beyond even the most extreme predictions. I very much doubt you would feel secure walking down the streets of Newham in the day or at night.

Having shown up all of your "rebuttals", I will let you sleep with the belief that there isn't rampant disease.

Are you a troll? What has toothpaste got to do with the situation in Syria? I find it flabbergasting how hundred's of innocent people are dying every day in Syria and you sit here whining about junk food and toothpaste as if it is equally as important.

I think it will be very hard for the people of Syria once Assad is gone, but I think overtime they will sort thing's out and the war will be for the better.
Reply 50
Original post by Hewitt
Are you a troll? What has toothpaste got to do with the situation in Syria? I find it flabbergasting how hundred's of innocent people are dying every day in Syria and you sit here whining about junk food and toothpaste as if it is equally as important.

I think it will be very hard for the people of Syria once Assad is gone, but I think overtime they will sort thing's out and the war will be for the better.

I feel sorry for the Syrians to be honest. Whether they keep Assad or remove him, whoever replaces him will be as psychotic as him if not worse. It'll be Egypt all over again. If I were Syrian I'd be looking to get some sort of asylum or refugee status elsewhere and get the hell out of that ruined country before **** really hits the fan.
Reply 51

I really cant be bothered to reply to this heap of excrement you have sent me and to be quite honest i stopped reading after you said sodium flouride fractures your hip...
I think you need to get a grip on life before you start making such quite frankly bizare assumptions and generalisaitons about these countries and then saying a place like DPRK is a better place to live than the west, im sure many people would find the ignorance of such statements incredibly offensive and they just demonstrate what very little you know about this...
Reply 52
Original post by Hewitt

you should see his earlier posts he applauded these despots not only Syria but DPRK etc.
(edited 11 years ago)
I think Assad's far too smart to stick around long enough to get beaten to death in the street, a la Colonel Gaddafi. He might have thrown everything he can at the rebels, but if it starts to look like the fight is over he'll get the **** out of Dodge like Ben Ali; I'm sure some country will agree to take him and his family, even if it's just to quell the civil war.
Reply 54
If that were to happen the same thing will happen that has happened in Libya.. more economic trouble.
Original post by cl_steele
You do realise its not just the western world that has these issues right? and above all we dont have them nearly as badly as countries like DPRK, many collapsing African nations etc.

No the west is just better at hiding the corruption, you know bureaucracy and all...nations of Africa are not collapsing booming in fact with all the oil and raw materials the west is collapsing the only thing is the African governments have the worse case of greed and none of the countries people see all the wealth that is made..........Africa can survive, without the west but not to sure about the other way round :tongue:
Reply 56
Original post by hannah60000
No the west is just better at hiding the corruption, you know bureaucracy and all...nations of Africa are not collapsing booming in fact with all the oil and raw materials the west is collapsing the only thing is the African governments have the worse case of greed and none of the countries people see all the wealth that is made..........Africa can survive, without the west but not to sure about the other way round :tongue:

really? shall we start with the chaos of Nigeria work our way up to the wholesale slaughter of people in Congo, Sudan and south sudan etc. etc.
In the next few weeks, I somewhat fear the prospect of the use of WMD weapons since 1945. Syria possesses an abundance of biological and chemical weapons, including extremely potent VX nerve and Sarin nerve gases, which, could be distributed on major population centres before his regime is overrun.
Im not sure where I stand on this ''civil war''. All the reports I read on the news come from one source - The Activists. Activists claim this, activists claim that and so on. Seems very shady, no confirmed reports.
Reply 59
I predict a Puppet government who do what the west tells em. I think that Assad would be the lesser of two evils.

Quick Reply

Latest