The Student Room Group

After how many lessons did you do manoeuvres?

Hey all:smile:
Basically I was wondering,after how many lessons did you start doing your manoeuvres ? I've had about 11/12 lessons- more than capable driver and I haven't done any. My instructor said I should be doing my test by July though?:s I have a feeling he might be milking me of my money because on my 2nd lesson he said i was quite advanced so he wouldn't "have me too long". Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

I've done about 18 hours but I've only done the "turn in the road" and that was on my 14th hour or so (But I've practiced it about 15 or so times now). If you want to do maneuvers sooner just ask him (say you want to take a little break from main road driving or something).
Reply 2
My first (with a LOT of help) I did reversing around a corner as the industrial estate had a lot of dead ends. Ask your instructor can you try some?
Reply 3
Original post by JustDisturbia
Hey all:smile:
Basically I was wondering,after how many lessons did you start doing your manoeuvres ? I've had about 11/12 lessons- more than capable driver and I haven't done any. My instructor said I should be doing my test by July though?:s I have a feeling he might be milking me of my money because on my 2nd lesson he said i was quite advanced so he wouldn't "have me too long". Thoughts?

I started doing manoeuvres in my last lesson (fourth; seven hours altogether). I did three point turns in a trading estate to begin with. Then I went into built up areas to try it for real.
Reply 4
Yeah you need to be doing he manoevres. I did mine around 5th - 7th driving lesson. I've done them all and 110% confident.
Reply 5
I did bay parking on my 6th or 7th lesson and have been doing various manoevers ever since. I've had 14 hours now, I think.
update: actually started them after I created this thread, my suspicions were correct my instructor left manoeuvres til the end so thats all i had to focus on and perfect:biggrin: test is in sight ! yaaaaaaaay

Thanks for all the feedback everyone =D
Mine was around 10th/12th lesson I think?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 8
I started doing turn in the road in my 7th lesson.
I did bay parking on my 5th lesson, the turn in the road on the 6th and the parallel parking on the 7th and I'm yet to do the reverse around a corner, but it can't be harder than bay parking, which isn't hard but is definitely worst of the bunch IMO.
Reply 10
I had lesson number 7 today and attempted a 'reverse around the corner'. Apparently, it is the hardest manoeuvre, and I thought it was a lot easier than it looks.

I think it all comes down to the individual, and how confident your instructor is with you in order to attempt the various manoeuvres.
I think if you want to do manouvers just ask your instructor, I think you can learn them at any point in your driving instruction from lesson 5 onwards.
Original post by AdzAb95
I had lesson number 7 today and attempted a 'reverse around the corner'. Apparently, it is the hardest manoeuvre, and I thought it was a lot easier than it looks.

I think it all comes down to the individual, and how confident your instructor is with you in order to attempt the various manoeuvres.

I think parallel parking is probably harder. Reverse around the corner is quite easy :smile: I hate doing manouvres full stop though.
Original post by AdzAb95

I'm going to be doing this manouvere tommorow and I'm just wondering what your instructor recommended to you as a reference point to judge when to turn? I get that I'll have to go slow and take effective observations, I just want to know how I'll judge when I need to start turning the wheel left.
I had to do a turn in the road on my first lesson due to accidentally driving into a dead end (driving around an industrial estate, took a wrong turn and ended up at dead end) so kinda straight away. Think my instructor decided I might as well do it properly so she taught me the correct way to do it. Think I did the next one at my fourth lesson.
Original post by theonefrombrum
I'm going to be doing this manouvere tommorow and I'm just wondering what your instructor recommended to you as a reference point to judge when to turn? I get that I'll have to go slow and take effective observations, I just want to know how I'll judge when I need to start turning the wheel left.

If the road has giveway signs use the first one or just the edge of the kerb, remember to keep observing and then add steer/take away to make sure your parallel and close to the kerb at all times :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
I've had 6 hours' worth of lessons so far (3 lessons x 2 hours per lesson), and just finished looking at big roundabouts; will be moving on to manoeuvres next lesson :smile:
Reply 17
I have done 12 hours all together and have finished all of the manoeuvres.

I did turn in the road in my 6th lesson, bay parking in my 8th, reverse round a corner in my 9th hour and parallel parking in my 10th lesson (which was yesterday)
Reply 18
Original post by theonefrombrum

She said first, not to use the accelerator (or gas) and it is all in the clutch control. Don't be afraid to use the break, and take all the time in the world. Also, stop whenever a car or pedestrian is on the road. She said look out of the back window and all around. You will start about 1/2 cars length away from the corner. When the corner disappears from the back window, that is when you start to turn. When the curb appears again in the back window and mirror, you straighten up.

It sounds like a lot, but it does take practice. Your instructor will talk it through with you, so there is no need to worry. Plus, they may also explain it in a different way to what I was taught today.

Good luck!
Reply 19
Original post by restoration
I think parallel parking is probably harder. Reverse around the corner is quite easy :smile: I hate doing manouvres full stop though.

My instructor said a lot of people hate the parallel park. I guess only time will tell!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending