The Student Room Group

Retainer HELP RAF

Hi everyone, new member, first post..

Basically I'm going through my application with the RAF I've passed my medical, I have no braces, I've been brace free for a while now, but as some people may know, they leave a wire behind the teeth, this is a fixed retainer, its hidden and out the way, does anyone know if the RAF will allow this?

Thanks to anyone who can help me!

Ive read some other posts of people with similar issues from other sites, but no one seems to have a definite answer, seems as if a few people have these retainers these days..
Reply 1
It's absolutely no problem whatsoever. There was a guy on IOT with me who was wearing braces.

Can't for the life of me think why it would be an issue!
Reply 2
Sorry to ask, whats IOT? Did he have braces, or a retainer behind his teeth? Thanks for the speedy reply
Reply 3
Initial Officer Training.
Braces.
Strictly speaking, It's classed as on going dental treatment which means that you would normally have to wait until It's removed before you're able to join. As It's behind the teeth though, It's easy to see how the doctor missed it. You should let the AFCO know about it as the last thing you want is to have the medical people at Halton discover it and find you medically unfit, ending your training. (exactly as happened three weeks ago to a recruit).

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One S
Reply 5
Original post by RAF-Recruiter
Strictly speaking, It's classed as on going dental treatment which means that you would normally have to wait until It's removed before you're able to join. As It's behind the teeth though, It's easy to see how the doctor missed it. You should let the AFCO know about it as the last thing you want is to have the medical people at Halton discover it and find you medically unfit, ending your training. (exactly as happened three weeks ago to a recruit).

RAF Recruiter - My orthodontist treatment finished 4 years ago, this isn't ongoing anymore, whats fitted is a fixed retainer to the back of my teeth, it isnt a brace as such, did the recruit who left Halton leave because of retainers or a ongoing brace?

Thanks.
Is this retainer due to be removed at any time?

Reply 7
No, they are intended to stay attached to your teeth until they simply fall out after the glue has worn off which could be another 20 years yet

All Orthodontic treatment has finished, and I don't need to go back
Ahhh, in which case, there is no problem!

Reply 9
Are you sure? Because this has been on my mind for 2 weeks now, last thing I want is to sit in the chair at RAF Halton once started RTC and a dentist look in my mouth and then I get booted, would be horrible..

Can I ask, why was the recent recruit told to leave? Was it the same issue as mine? Or an ongoing brace?

Thanks
He had a brace. Too put your mind at rest, you should really discuss it with your recruiter who will check with the Occupational Medicine people at Cranwell.

My recruiter said so long as I've passed my medical, all should be okay
(edited 11 years ago)
I'd stop worrying about it! It will be fine.

Thanks, ill try not to now I have someones opinion. Thanks for your help

Quick Reply

Latest