The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher French 2011-12

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quick-use
I was exactly the same: I wanted an A this year to turn things around. But, I just didn't put the work in and I don't know if I even have a pass any more. :frown:

My fingers are crossed for you :smile: What did you do for the exam?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by J'adoreMaCachette
My fingers are crossed for you :smile: What did you do for the exam?

For the exam I did Tennessee Williams' A Streetcar Named Desire and Sweet Bird of Youth. It was a 'focused' essay and I talked about the themes especially, but it was by no means my best essay - not by a long shot. :/ My dissertation was on whether or not the poets T.S. Eliot, Ezra Pound and E.E. Cummings were true modernists. I thought it had gone quite well, but then I was shocked to found out from my teachers that it was a high C, low B and from another who said it was a border-line pass D/C. I just couldn't believe that really. But I guess that's what you get for last minute. :frown:
And I did creative writing, so an average short story and a decent personal reflective.

Et toi? :smile:

For the exam I did Tennessee Williams' A Streetcar Named Desire and Sweet Bird of Youth. It was a 'focused' essay and I talked about the themes especially, but it was by no means my best essay - not by a long shot. :/ My dissertation was on whether or not the poets T.S. Eliot, Ezra Pound and E.E. Cummings were true modernists. I thought it had gone quite well, but then I was shocked to found out from my teachers that it was a high C, low B and from another who said it was a border-line pass D/C. I just couldn't believe that really. But I guess that's what you get for last minute. :frown:
And I did creative writing, so an average short story and a decent personal reflective.

Et toi? :smile:

I did Austen for the literary exam paper and then did TA. We didn't get the option to do a folio :frown: Personally, I would have loved to have done the language/linguistics aspect of the course! (one of the initial reasons I selected it) For my disser I did a comparative study of Carol Ann Duffy's portrayal of the various relationships between mother and child using 8 poems. I've been given an average of 59% (B) but that was using my prelim scores and only the 3rd draft of my disser so it could have gone up or down, and the disser could be marked differently to what my teacher thought. IDK... Unconditional anyway! :biggrin: Glasgow, my love
(edited 11 years ago)
I did Austen for the literary exam paper and then did TA. We didn't get the option to do a folio :frown: Personally, I would have loved to have done the language/linguistics aspect of the course! (one of the initial reasons I selected it) For my disser I did a comparative study of Carol Ann Duffy's portrayal of the various relationships between mother and child using 8 poems. I've been given an average of 59% (B) but that was using my prelim scores and only the 3rd draft of my disser so it could have gone up or down, and the disser could be marked differently to what my teacher thought. IDK... Unconditional anyway! :biggrin: Glasgow, my love

Ahahaha nice :biggrin: Glasgow rejected me :cry: I'll be going to Edinburgh instead but I really, really wanted to move to another city. But I'm thinking of moving to the halls regardless!

What are you going to be studying? :smile: And I hope that we both get at least a B in English (honestly not happening for me :biggrin: ) :smile:
Ahahaha nice :biggrin: Glasgow rejected me :cry: I'll be going to Edinburgh instead but I really, really wanted to move to another city. But I'm thinking of moving to the halls regardless!

What are you going to be studying? :smile: And I hope that we both get at least a B in English (honestly not happening for me :biggrin: ) :smile:

J'espère aussi! :biggrin: You can always commute to Glasgow now and again though! And I'd consider getting into Edinburgh a big achievement, they're really picky with their home students!
We should meet up! I'd love to meet the people I've been chatting to all year!

I'm going to study French :biggrin:, and German, and for my third subject one of Italian, History of Art, Spanish, Russian or English Language. Kind of at a lost end with the third subject! :tongue: Toi?

Oooooh, can I take a guess at some of the poems you used for your dissertation? Did you use 'Before You Were Mine' and 'We Remember Your Childhood Well' by any chance? They were two of the poems we did in Higher. :tongue: I remember writing endless essays about mother/daughter relationships in those two...Ended up using 'WRYCW' for the exam!
Original post by christielovesyou
Oooooh, can I take a guess at some of the poems you used for your dissertation? Did you use 'Before You Were Mine' and 'We Remember Your Childhood Well' by any chance? They were two of the poems we did in Higher. :tongue: I remember writing endless essays about mother/daughter relationships in those two...Ended up using 'WRYCW' for the exam!

Yup used those two! We did The Devil's Wife for Higher :smile:

Hello all linguists :smile: I was wondering if anyone could kindly explain to me what is needed to get an A(an A2 I mean) in each section of the papers,combined with the folio and speaking of course. I'm feeling confident that I got 40 for my speaking(0r 30 but I got positive feedback and that grade on my practice) and I put a lot of effort into my two folio pieces(my teacher said they were good but didn't grade any of our folio pieces so I'm obviously not sure) I know the reading and translation is worth 50 overall and the listening and essay are worth 70.
Original post by OddThings
Hello all linguists :smile: I was wondering if anyone could kindly explain to me what is needed to get an A(an A2 I mean) in each section of the papers,combined with the folio and speaking of course. I'm feeling confident that I got 40 for my speaking(0r 30 but I got positive feedback and that grade on my practice) and I put a lot of effort into my two folio pieces(my teacher said they were good but didn't grade any of our folio pieces so I'm obviously not sure) I know the reading and translation is worth 50 overall and the listening and essay are worth 70.

Sorry for the short reply - enjoying the sun! But, using the grade boundaries from last year, you need to get 140/200 for an A2 so just add up all the marks you think you've got and you can work it out that way :smile:

Sorry for the short reply - enjoying the sun! But, using the grade boundaries from last year, you need to get 140/200 for an A2 so just add up all the marks you think you've got and you can work it out that way :smile:

It seems I may have got a B then,based on the exam.I found the reading and listening quite easy,the essay tricky(24 if I'm lucky) but I have no idea how to factor in the speaking and folio.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by OddThings

It's quite easy, you just add it up. So if you think you got, say, 40/50 in speaking, 12/15 on both your folio essays, 40/50 on reading, 23/30 on listening, and 24/40 on the essay, your mark would be:

40 + 12 + 12 + 40 + 23 + 24 = 141/200 which is over 140 so an A. Adjust as you see fit with what you think you got. :smile:
Original post by saaaaammi
Hi guys, I sat my Higher French exam yesterday and I thought it went pretty well! I was just wondering what you could tell me about Advanced Higher French? I've already chosen my options for 6th year but I am seriously considering taking Advanced Higher French. How difficult is it? Is it a big jump from Higher?
I wouldn't say I was absolutely brilliant at French. I mainly get full marks in all the readings I have done, and around 9/15 for my Directed Writings and my Highest mark on my other essay has been an 8 before. My listening's however are awful. Never had more than 11/20. Do you think I would be able to cope with AH?
Also, I am crash higher-ing Spanish also for 6th year.... is it easier to pick it up after doing french?
I would really appreciate some feedback! Thankyou!

Although the AH listenings are generally much more difficult like some people have said, you can do really well without even passing the listening (although you'd have to be really good on the other parts). If you continued to do well in the reading/translation paper to the extent of getting at least 40 out of 50, got a high mark in the speaking (again of 40-50 marks, which is definitely possible if you do loads of work for it) and the folio (which is worth 30 marks, and which you can perfect before you send off) and even get an average essay mark, say 24, you could scrape an A by getting 11/12 out of 30 on the listening.

However, the readings are significantly more difficult than higher in my opinion, and getting an 'average' mark on the essay of 24 would require a much better essay than one which would get close to full marks at higher, so that might not work out :tongue:

On the plus side, at AH you get to use the massive dictionaries which are essentially a cheat's guide to writing essays, as they have hundreds of really good phrases in the middle. Seriously. No way I would ever have got good marks in an essay without it.

How did you guys get on?

A!!!!!! What about you? :smile:
Original post by christielovesyou
A!!!!!! What about you? :smile:

Yeah I got an A too! :biggrin: How did you do with your other subjects? I got 4As and a Distinction for my baccalaureate! AND, I found out that both for French and German I got A1s!!! Don't know about English yet, but holy f**k how did I manage to even get an A?! I'm absolutely thrilled with my results! :biggrin: Hope you are too :smile:

Yeah I got an A too! :biggrin: How did you do with your other subjects? I got 4As and a Distinction for my baccalaureate! AND, I found out that both for French and German I got A1s!!! Don't know about English yet, but holy f**k how did I manage to even get an A?! I'm absolutely thrilled with my results! :biggrin: Hope you are too :smile:

I got As in Spanish and Music and a B in English, so a Distinction in the Baccalaureate too. :biggrin: Yeah, I am thrilled! Well done!
I got an A in French, it's been my best subject for a few years now so I wasn't worried about it even having done about 2 hrs revision for the exam all year, not including class time.

A in Latin and B in History. I got my conditions (2 As) but I was upset about History. Even though I skipped straight to Advanced Higher after switching from Biology, I would still have liked an A, but tbh I think I was at a major disadvantage considering the course and exam system leads directly on from Higher.

Quick Reply

Latest