The Student Room Group

Advice from any Musical Theatre or voice students?

I'm really dubious of what course I should apply to next year (I'll be applying after the summer)
I've always focused on singing, but I really want to work in musical theatre, however, that would include dance.
So what I'm asking is: Is taking dance classes previously a must, or am I okay without them?
I'm not a terrible dancer, but I've never taken classes. So if I haven't taken dance classes before should I start now, or just focus on singing?
Reply 1
I know this is a late reply.
Better late than never though :L

MT courses look that you're strong in two of the three skills.
(acting/signing/dancing)

They never look for experience but for talent. So classes aren't a must if you're an alright dancer but talented singer and actor.

Hope this helps :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Original post by stina.c
I'm really dubious of what course I should apply to next year (I'll be applying after the summer)
I've always focused on singing, but I really want to work in musical theatre, however, that would include dance.
So what I'm asking is: Is taking dance classes previously a must, or am I okay without them?
I'm not a terrible dancer, but I've never taken classes. So if I haven't taken dance classes before should I start now, or just focus on singing?

Hello! I'm auditioning for performing arts colleges, too! I'm kind of in the same position as you, except I'm predominantly a dancer. I want to work in musical theatre, too! I've been dancing since I was four, so that part of the audition should be fine, but I've only been doing drama for two years, and I started singing lessons only a few months ago. I think the best thing to do now is find some dance classes near you and just do what you can in the time available. It'll give you some experience as to what classes are like to prepare you for auditions, and you'll also be able to learn the names of different steps etc. Whether you want to focus on dance once you leave the college or not, you will most likely have to do dance for the years you're there (at least, all the colleges I'm going for require you to do all three), so it's best to get as much practice in while you can! That's what I'm doing with the singing; I suddenly realised earlier this year that I really needed to work on my singing before I started auditioning, so I asked for singing lessons instead of driving lessons for my birthday, and now I'm just trying to work as hard as I can in the time available. I'm never going to be an amazing singer, but at least it means I won't be clueless by the time auditions roll around!
Reply 3
Which performing arts colleges are you guys auditioning for?
I was considering Chichister Uni, Urdang, Mountview, Italia Conti and GSA.
Reply 4
Original post by MadiP
Which performing arts colleges are you guys auditioning for?
I was considering Chichister Uni, Urdang, Mountview, Italia Conti and GSA.

I auditioned for CCSD, Blackpool uni, Manchester College, Stratford college, GSA, LIPA + Colchester Uni :colone:
Reply 5
I think I will apply for the Musical Theatre course at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, but elsewhere (Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh) I'll apply for music!
Wish me luck for this year!
Reply 6
I'm going for London Studio Centre, Laine and Bird for musical theatre. Also Trinity Laban and London Contemporary for contemporary dance. :smile:

Forget Mountview - it has no theatre industry credibility whatsoever.

Look at Guildford : http://www.conservatoire.org/home/index.php?dept=22 \
Its a well respected Musical Theatre course that will get you *work* at the end of the course.
Reply 8
I want to apply for the voice course at the Guildhall School of Music & Drama. So I’ve got a question - trained singing voice is required for admission?
Reply 9
Original post by As_If
I auditioned for CCSD, Blackpool uni, Manchester College, Stratford college, GSA, LIPA + Colchester Uni :colone:

What was the CSSD audition like?
Reply 10
Original post by MadiP
What was the CSSD audition like?

It was **** scary omg. They have professionals (that don't teach) audition you.
You audition for acting AND mt. Regardless of what you apply for.

Was fun in its own way though. :3

Quick Reply