The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA Further Maths Level 2 HELP!!!!

I am sitting the further maths exam in june 2013 and don't know how to revise or any resources that will help me. Could someone give me some tips on what to do?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
omgoshh same here im looking online for revision but theres not much also i have a crappy teacher
Reply 2
Original post by Hassan_786
I am sitting the further maths exam in june 2013 and don't know how to revise or any resources that will help me. Could someone give me some tips on what to do?

Thanks
Original post by bubbles02
omgoshh same here im looking online for revision but theres not much also i have a crappy teacher

Specimen papers from the AQA website may be a good idea.
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/igcse/pdf/AQA-8360-W-SPQ.PDF
Doing questions from your textbook, and ultimately posting here if you get stuck is about as good a form of revision as you can expect.
A friend of mine does this and bought this book off of amazon - don't know if its any good though:
[h="1"]New GCSE Maths - Further Maths Practice Book [Paperback][/h]by Trevor Senior
Reply 3
Original post by joostan
Specimen papers from the AQA website may be a good idea.
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/igcse/pdf/AQA-8360-W-SPQ.PDF
Doing questions from your textbook, and ultimately posting here if you get stuck is about as good a form of revision as you can expect.
A friend of mine does this and bought this book off of amazon - don't know if its any good though:
[h="1"]New GCSE Maths - Further Maths Practice Book [Paperback][/h]by Trevor Senior

Yeah i was told to buy that book and ordered it today waiting for it to come
Reply 4

Same i got a crappy teacher aswell lol duno what to do... don't want to fail though
Reply 5
Yeah i was told to buy that book and ordered it today waiting for it to come

Good luck with it :smile:
Just look through the specification of your qualification. Then just Google what you don't understand for worksheets, tutorials, etc.
Reply 7
Original post by joostan
Good luck with it :smile:

Thanks
Reply 8
Same i got a crappy teacher aswell lol duno what to do... don't want to fail though

is the book any good then?
The book:
[h="1"]"AQA Certificate in Further Mathematics"[/h]
Is mainly a cut and shut of previous books.
If you look up second hand copies of the MEI C1/C2 and old Additional maths books most of the material is in there.

Much of the syllabus is based on C1/C2 AS maths
Reply 10
is the book any good then?

Still aint received it but hope it is
Reply 11
Hi!! could you suggest me any other useful books or material for GCSE maths level 2??? And if possible I would like to ask you if you can tell me where I can find the syllabus of level 2 (I'm italian and I need it in order to prepare myself..!!! )
There isn't really that much extra you need to do. Further Maths uses the same style of question as the normal GCSE Maths exams and the questions are not that much harder than A* level in normal Maths. The best thing to do is complete as many papers as you can (our Maths dept. has loads but I don't know where they got them from).

Most of the content from the course is from C1 and C2 (although Matrices is from FP1 I think) so if you want a big challenge, complete exam-style questions from there. However, I should stress that the questions from the A Level maths course are significantly more difficult than L2 Further Maths. If you have no problems with the A Level questions, L2 Further Maths will be a breeze. Personally, I think the L2 FM qualification covers lots of the content from C1 and 2 but at a GCSE difficulty level, so it's a very good introduction.
Reply 13
So..which book can I buy online? (with theiry and revision but exercise as well..) Or websites, papers?
Original post by Chlorophile
There isn't really that much extra you need to do. Further Maths uses the same style of question as the normal GCSE Maths exams and the questions are not that much harder than A* level in normal Maths. The best thing to do is complete as many papers as you can (our Maths dept. has loads but I don't know where they got them from).

Most of the content from the course is from C1 and C2 (although Matrices is from FP1 I think) so if you want a big challenge, complete exam-style questions from there. However, I should stress that the questions from the A Level maths course are significantly more difficult than L2 Further Maths. If you have no problems with the A Level questions, L2 Further Maths will be a breeze. Personally, I think the L2 FM qualification covers lots of the content from C1 and 2 but at a GCSE difficulty level, so it's a very good introduction.

Do you think that the actual exam papers are easier than the specimen papers?

Because the specimen papers seemed to have a big emphasis on proofs, whereas I looked through the June 2012 and there were only a couple of proofs and it was mostly "Work out ....".
Reply 15
Original post by ThatPerson

Because the specimen papers seemed to have a big emphasis on proofs, whereas I looked through the June 2012 and there were only a couple of proofs and it was mostly "Work out ....".

Actual exams are nearly always easier than the specimen papers :tongue:
Original post by ThatPerson

The mock we did in December was considerably more difficult than the specimen paper, I felt. Having said that, most actual papers are less difficult than specimens, so I don't know.
Reply 17
Anyone know any useful revision materials
Anyone know any useful revision materials

Assuming you've exhausted the specimen papers, C1 and C2. There really isn't very much content to learn for the certificate so it's all about understanding and practice. Try the questions in the AS modules (which are harder than the questions you'll get in the real exam) and if you can do those, you'll have no problems in the exam.
Reply 19
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest