The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

New College (Oxford) Students and Applicants

Well, I didn't think it was right that New should be missing out on the fun :p: Call us what you will (best one I've heard is Newdists) but we are clearly the best college. So... here's a thread entirely devoted to anyone who's interested/bored really.

It would be helpful if all the Newdists (yeh, I'm gonna go with that for now) on TSR could post here so we could get a list going.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i would have thought its : Balloil > Ch.Ch> New> everyone else..but definetly up there!

went there for open day..was very impressed.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Diamond! Surely 'New Army' also?? Don't betray your fresher tshirt girl. Looking forward to seein' ya soon my dear.

abrp - not sure about that. New is quite unique in its atmosphere and work ethic... from what I've gathered in my measly single term, its much more laid back than Balliol & ChCh.

Also, anyone got any info bout the ball this year? Rumours its Jamiroquai, but I can't see TJ booking them...
New College, is number one! I enjoyed my three years there, topping form all the way.

Only gripe is that the chaplain is a women *cringes*, William of Wykehem will be turning in his chantry dantry at Winchester Cathedreal now.
Reply 4
abrp
i would have thought its : Balloil > Ch.Ch> New> everyone else..but definetly up there!
:rofl: How about no. ChCh is impressive to rahs and architecture lovers, and Balliol's an acquired taste. Both good colleges, if you like that sort of thing.
Reply 5
so...anyone starting at new in october with me?
Reply 6
moomoo2k

What you gonna be studying?
Reply 7
I'm at New! I love all the free stuff I get from the MCR: brunch, tea + cakes, alcohol... AMAZING.
Reply 8
moomoo2k

My girlfriend will be. But Magdalen is better than New :smile:
Reply 9
Teebs
My girlfriend will be. But Magdalen is better than New :smile:

Hehe, such a joker. Come on, what do you really think? :rolleyes:
Reply 10
My completely honest opinion... Hmm... Hard for a political type like me :P

Being serious, New is probably my second favourite college from what I've seen of it, however I prefer Magdalen's architecture, layout deer park e.t.c. To make a really decent comparison I would probably have to virtually live in New for a while though as there are all sorts of things you only see in the college you are actually a member of.

But yeah... I still like Magdalen better.
Reply 11
i'm doing ppe - and teebs i knew that, she is on my msn thanks to you :P
moomoo2k
i'm doing ppe - and teebs i knew that, she is on my msn thanks to you :P

Aaaw, then you'll probably be one of my friend's college child hehe, since a lot of them do PPE! Or even mine (I do HistPol). Crazy.
i shall be at new in oct :smile: looking forward to meeting everyone :biggrin:
Reply 14
Yoh

Any idea if grad. students at New live in a specific area of college? Or is it all mixed up like karazee?

Thanks
Reply 15
Grads and 4th year undergrads are housed together. The two main sites are:

1. The Sacher building

a 60s building in college which was refurbished after a fire and is therefore quite nice

also houses the MCR, which has a TV, a bar and a tendency to supply free food (e.g. free brunch on Sunday morning, free tea and cakes on Saturday afternoon)

has a computer room

2. Weston Buildings

by the college sports ground (a few minutes' walk from the main college site)

you live in really nice houses in small groups; better than the Sacher building

Then there are a couple of other places they might put you, but I can't remember the details. I think there are a couple of houses somewhere, which I've heard is preferable to being in Sacher or Weston. Basically, you get looked after quite well, because all the accommodation is pretty good and none is far away. And the MCR is definitely one of the best in Oxford, possibly the best.
Reply 16
Well I've got a Faculty offer (Graduate study) and could in theory be put into any College! But I requested New, and mentioned New as part of my application statement - here's hoping!
Reply 17
Who from new is actually on here?
Names?

xx
Reply 18
I'm thinking about applying for Physics at New College.

Just wondering if anyone here does it. It'd be great to hear about what it's like. :smile:
Reply 19
Dharma
I'm thinking about applying for Physics at New College.

Just wondering if anyone here does it. It'd be great to hear about what it's like. :smile:

Snap :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest