The Student Room Group

The TSR Geology Society!

Hello!

Firstly welcome to :tsr: Geology Society and secondly, i hope that those of you who share an interest in the subject make positive imput into the society!

Basically this society is for anyone who has an interest in geology, wether it be hobby or a subject that you have decided to study. I am a 2nd year, going into my 3rd year, geology student at the University of Southampton. I studied geology at AS/A2 with the WJEC board, which is when i decided that i wanted to study geology further, and hopefully, get a job in that field.

This society can be a place for budding geologists to discuss issues regarding geology in the media, a place for ideas and topics covered in courses to be discussed as well as posing to be an oppourtunity for questions to be asked, with the feedback coming from anyone who wishes to share their knowledge and enlighten the rest of us!

Geology is something that amazes and interests me so it would be great if like minded people wished to join this society and i promise that as founder i will do my very best to keep the society alive and interesting!

To show your support, either reply in this thread that you wish to join or send me a PM and declare your status as a member of :tsr: Geology Society in your signature, to show your pride!

So far, the exclusive members list comprimises of these fantastic people!
Sam_B
Snowball68
Mc_Bren
Ams_1
Riccardo
Strumpet (aka Ellie4)
Raagyone
Rock tenth
Windmill- King
Smurfride
EIEIEI
Absolution
Burned_Out_58
Zakatu
davey_boy
Clairey_p
Fluff
Bouncy
Theron
Steph!
Leftism
Paulfect
Matt@internet
Matchu
Notquitecornish
Nancynance
Madame_Castro
Anna_tucker
Rock_ eleventh
Laura27
Bikerx23
Shifty
Elements
Superstar1471
ChrisF
Grantml
Alex2006
Andy9ac
Somi06
Georgecrabbe
Southernlight
-=Ric=-
NJA
Alex_p
Vimms29
2^1/2

Would be great to see some more people wanting to join the society!

For more information on geology, also check out our very own Wiki page @ http://thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Geology

Any questions then just ask away!

Lou
xxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i will join cos u look lonely by urself and i like geology aswell.

i am still a geographer at heart though :p: :biggrin:
Reply 2
doing geology at durham in October hopefully, grades depending! Never done it before though so bit unsure, I'm a geogrpher at the mo. Should be good though and I need the degree in geology rather than geography to do my choicfe career (vulcanologist/seismologist or something along those lines)!v. excited!!
Reply 3
yeh, if i dont get the grades for geog at soton, i really hope they offer me a place on the geology course, would be good :top:
Reply 4
Great to see two replies at least! Geology at Durham is an excellent choice! I have a lot of interest in volcanology and seismology myself so i hope that before the end of the week i will be starting a discussion about certain areas of these two topics within geology, depending on time restraints with revision for AS exams! Just out of curiousity Sam, are the geology and geography entry requirements much different? Soton is generally hard to get into, so i am unsure if geology is easier to get in than geology. If anything, it may be slightly harder as it is considered more scientific? I am not sure though! Keep the posts coming guys, i promise to reply soon and make this society and interesting and exciting one!

Lou
xxx
Reply 5
It's a great subject, i'm currently doing it at AS Level and hopefully as a degree. Some parts are a little challenging but it's always interesting. Definately recommend it to anyone thinking of taking it!
Reply 6
you will all love studying geology at uni. i taught the a level in my own time as school refused to let us do it in the timetable and now most of the class are at various unis doing a degree in it! cardiff, csm (exeter), birmingham, portsmouth, leeds and a few of my geog class doing it too! durham, liverpool, oxford b etc
have fun!
Reply 7
Well, this is proving to be a rather select society with only four members, five if i count myself but that is okay! The others don't know what they are missing out on! McBren what areas of AS Geology are you finding challenging? Which exam board are you doing it with? i would love to be able to help you!

Lou
xxx
Reply 8
edit ur first post to add the members :top:
Reply 9
Done!
Reply 10
I'm doing it with WJEC. Identifying rocks is proving a little trickier than first thought as well as interpreting geological maps. The actual drawing of them isnt a problem, just trying to visualise what should be where. Doesn't help that there isn't a revision guide available for it :frown:
Reply 11
Oh go on then :biggrin: although i know nothing about rocks! :wink::biggrin:
McBren
I'm doing it with WJEC. Identifying rocks is proving a little trickier than first thought as well as interpreting geological maps. The actual drawing of them isnt a problem, just trying to visualise what should be where. Doesn't help that there isn't a revision guide available for it :frown:

Same as me! WJEC syllabus is evil! Rock identification i am not too worried over, but those geological maps have me in a bit of a panic! First exam on tuesday! Argh!

Lou
xxx
bouncy
Oh go on then :biggrin: although i know nothing about rocks! :wink::biggrin:

Its not just all about rocks! But a lot of it is lol! And by joining this society i am sure you will be learning a lot about rocks which has to be good!

Lou
xxx
Reply 14
Ooo quick hijack, where abouts in hants?! :biggrin:

id love to have done it if i had the chance
bouncy
Ooo quick hijack, where abouts in hants?! :biggrin:

id love to have done it if i had the chance

Basingstoke! And it is a real shame, so many people want to do geology but so few places offer it!

Lou
xxx
Reply 16
Originally posted by sparkly_tiara
Same as me! WJEC syllabus is evil! Rock identification i am not too worried over, but those geological maps have me in a bit of a panic! First exam on tuesday! Argh!

Yeah, really not looking forward to that at all! Got the GL2 mock tomorrow, should give me an idea of badly i'm gonna do :smile: How did you do in your GL3 exam in January?
Reply 17
Gawd im so jealous of your ASs McBren! id have loved to have done them, well cept biology!
Reply 18
Yeah im really lucky to have had the choice of subjects i did. I don't know many places that offer Geology or Environmental Science as A Levels.
Reply 19
my stupid school dont offer geology :mad:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending