The Student Room Group

Birmingham Medicine Applicants 2011!

Poll

How many GCSE A*'s do you have?

Who's applying?

How's everyone PS going?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good Luck. I was successful in getting in this year, so if you have any questions, ask, and I will endeavour to answer them :smile:
Reply 2
ManicJM
Good Luck. I was successful in getting in this year, so if you have any questions, ask, and I will endeavour to answer them :smile:

yay thanks.

How was the interview like :O

and is it true that 90% of the people interviewed are offered a place?
Reply 3
killfestab
yay thanks.

How was the interview like :O

and is it true that 90% of the people interviewed are offered a place?

I found the interview really good. You get a nice tour of the medical building by some med students and can ask them whatever. The interview it self was not daunting at all. Before you go in, you get given a little question to test your thinking. You just have to write a short answer, but they said don't worry, it isn't really important.
The people who interviewed me were really nice, and made me feel comfortable. It wasn't really that taxing, mainly questions about me and my PS/ Work Experience. They also asked me a bit about the news (the GP from Germany coming over and his patient dying, which was in the news at the time), and also a bit about the career path of a doctor.

And, yes, it is true that a very high percentage who get interview get offers. However, I personally think the percentage will go down year on year, as students are doing better, they can't afford to give so many offers as they will get oversubscribed. But I imagine it will still remain a very high percentage.

And remember, unless you have 8 or 9 A*'s + at GCSE, don't apply as you have zero chance of an interview. 8 was enough last year (that was me ;P) but I suspect it could be borderline whether 8 is enough this year. Make sure you find out of the admissions tutors on the open day.

Good Luck!
yeah I am... along with cambridge, bristol and soton :smile:
Reply 5
Me. :h: I've got an okayish PS draft thing going on, but I need to edit the crap out of it. :erm:
Reply 6
Hi everyone :smile: My PS is awful atm, it doesn't have a beginning or an end :s-smilie: Hope that 9A* will be enough this year; as more and more people get to know about the GSCE requirement, I think it will get more competitive.

How was results day for everyone?
Reply 7
afe123
Hi everyone :smile: My PS is awful atm, it doesn't have a beginning or an end :s-smilie: Hope that 9A* will be enough this year; as more and more people get to know about the GSCE requirement, I think it will get more competitive.

How was results day for everyone?

Results day couldnt have been betteer :biggrin: see my signature :P

i guess we are all struggling with the PS though!
I've done my drafts, but want to edit it because it sounds so eugh ... not like me... too much flowery language that im gonna remove

btw, your intro and conclusion dont have to awesome if you've compensated it with the rest :biggrin:

and yeah, of course 9 A*'s are enough, i met the admissions lady this summer and sed 8A*'s
Reply 8
having sed that this is what the website says:

GCSE

Candidates with AAA predicted or achieved A Levels must normally have at least 7 A* grades at GCSE, with A grades in GCSE Maths and English.
Reply 9
anyone here applying as an international applicant?
Reply 10
killfestab
having sed that this is what the website says:

GCSE

Candidates with AAA predicted or achieved A Levels must normally have at least 7 A* grades at GCSE, with A grades in GCSE Maths and English.

Which is misleading, as these will not got an interview, unless a lot less people with high numbers of A*'s apply. But this is very unlikely, as Birmingham will be seen as a great chance of getting in for most of these applicants - even if just as a backup option.
Reply 11
i'm glad i have 11 A*'s
Reply 12
The other one kind of died out, so i guess this one is going to stay :smile:

seeing as the GCSE A*s are important i put up a poll...
I am in!! 9A*s so I am hoping to get an interview.
I have not started my PS yet... I do have a plan though but maybe I start on Monday! =D
Reply 14
Birmingham medicine must be the only course in Uk that sees 8 A*'s as a borderline achievement.

Regardless, i will try anyways. If you get an Interview you can almost say your guarenteed an offer.
Reply 15
gozatron
Birmingham medicine must be the only course in Uk that sees 8 A*'s as a borderline achievement.

Regardless, i will try anyways. If you get an Interview you can almost say your guarenteed an offer.

they do offer quite a number of people who are interviewed a place ... but ive heard some of the interviews can be really nasty... like they dont let u finish the sentence and basically rush through it
Reply 16
I got in this year :smile: feel free to ask any questions.
Reply 17
49rocks
I got in this year :smile: feel free to ask any questions.

did you gear your PS towards Birmingham and were the interviews easier than you thought :biggrin:
Reply 18
killfestab
they do offer quite a number of people who are interviewed a place ... but ive heard some of the interviews can be really nasty... like they dont let u finish the sentence and basically rush through it

Yeh i've been told that 80-90% of applicants that get an interview, get an offer or something along those lines. :smile:

Plus theres not enterance exam, so thats a bonus.
Reply 19
gozatron
Yeh i've been told that 80-90% of applicants that get an interview, get an offer or something along those lines. :smile:

Plus theres not enterance exam, so thats a bonus.

That percentage has gone down quite a bit I'm afraid.

A new head of admissions has been appointed (but we still get prof Lote for our renal module this year :smile: )
I think you'll get Dr. Austen Spruce (legend) I don't know if this will make a difference to how they run things though.

With regards to a post above - It's best not to gear you PS to one uni. Make it about you and the course. TBH, all unis will be looking for very similar things in a PS so don't worry about making it specific for Brum.

Quick Reply