The Student Room Group

St. Andrews Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by teafil
Hey guys! I just wanted to wish you good luck! I hope to see you in St. Andrews next year. I know what you have been through (I was there) and I think you both deserve to get in! Best of luck with everything - especially your UKCAT >:biggrin:<

Why thank you teafil :h: Hopefully if UKCAT and results go well you will :smile: Have a good first year :biggrin:
Reply 21
I love scotland :biggrin: I can't wait to go there and live 3 years of 5 years or 6 years there! (Depending on which uni/where I go from St. A's)
Reply 22
Good luck everyone for 2012 entry.. I start in 5 weeks and am really looking forward to it! Sure we are all around here if anyone needs anymore advice!
Px
Reply 23
Original post by polldoll
Good luck everyone for 2012 entry.. I start in 5 weeks and am really looking forward to it! Sure we are all around here if anyone needs anymore advice!
Px

Apart from your signature... I can actually recognize you by your specific "Px" :wink: I'm starting to think there are more freshers on this page than applicants :biggrin:

But yeah... what polldoll said. We are here (watching you) in case you need some help :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by baztech
Thought I would start the thread for this wonderful University. I am hoping to apply there. Anyone else?

I was at the interview stage last year and after what I thought was a great interview, I got my heart broken, not going to stop me though! Sorry for the self-indulgent speech there.

If I get the grades I think I am applying to St. Andrews to study medicine. I am from England so my results are yet to be out.

Plus I am medical shool reject too!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Anterior view
Stuff to consider it's got the smallest number of places ( i think) it takes a year longer to qualify ? More student debt potentially. Although they try you don't always get your choice ie to stay in Scotland so you could end up in Manchester.. Im not sure how that affects fees ie if you would then have to pay if you were sent to manchester It's a bit out of the way although it's a nice place! so if your a city boy who likes the nightlife again it's something to consider:rolleyes:

So, St. Andrews does not have a brilliant nght-life? Is that what you mean?
Reply 26
Original post by Shaz51
So, St. Andrews does not have a brilliant nght-life? Is that what you mean?

It's got bars and pubs and nice places to eat but it's not a clubbing sort of town:smile:
Reply 27
Original post by Olives
It's got bars and pubs and nice places to eat but it's not a clubbing sort of town:smile:

Cool! I AM not a party girl. I am looking forward to studying at St. A's. :smile:
Reply 28
I really don't mind where I go for my clinicals... I can go to Manchester if they want (fav EPL football team there :biggrin:) and if they want, I can go to any of the Scottish universities... I'm totally fine with ANYTHING :biggrin:

I really hope they'll accept me... :biggrin: then it will be a dream come true.
But quick question: let's say I have a conditional offer at St. Andrews and I was allocated to a Scottish university. Is that decision FINALIZED? For instance, if I get some awesome grades @ St. Andrews, can they "re-allocate" me somewhere else?
And for international students, where are they most likely to be placed for the clinicals?

Thank you!
Reply 29
Original post by doctork2
I really don't mind where I go for my clinicals... I can go to Manchester if they want (fav EPL football team there :biggrin:) and if they want, I can go to any of the Scottish universities... I'm totally fine with ANYTHING :biggrin:

I really hope they'll accept me... :biggrin: then it will be a dream come true.
But quick question: let's say I have a conditional offer at St. Andrews and I was allocated to a Scottish university. Is that decision FINALIZED? For instance, if I get some awesome grades @ St. Andrews, can they "re-allocate" me somewhere else?
And for international students, where are they most likely to be placed for the clinicals?

Thank you!

They take into consideration the grades you get in the first semester of the second year at St. Andrews. If you have high grades then you can pick exactly where you want to go. I.e. You've been told you would do your clinical years at Manchester, but because you got higher grades than others you get to chose before them and you can go to a Scottish university.

Regarding internationals - you are very likely to end up in Manchester only because this particular university has the most places available for internationals. But the scottish universities have international places as well. Again, if you grades are good enough you can get to go to Edinburgh or Glasgow or any other scottish university. It's harder to get there, but not impossible.

Good luck and let us know if you've got other questions :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by teafil
They take into consideration the grades you get in the first semester of the second year at St. Andrews. If you have high grades then you can pick exactly where you want to go. I.e. You've been told you would do your clinical years at Manchester, but because you got higher grades than others you get to chose before them and you can go to a Scottish university.

Regarding internationals - you are very likely to end up in Manchester only because this particular university has the most places available for internationals. But the scottish universities have international places as well. Again, if you grades are good enough you can get to go to Edinburgh or Glasgow or any other scottish university. It's harder to get there, but not impossible.

Thanks for that ! I wondered how binding that initial choice would be.
Reply 31
Original post by teafil

not quite true - you could come first in the year but if there's no space on the track you want to move to you won't be able to, so it's all dependent on capacity being available
I applied here last year, got an interview and then I was rejected :P

Best of luck guys!
Reply 33
Original post by areyousure?
I applied here last year, got an interview and then I was rejected :P

Best of luck guys!

I'm in exactly the same position, rejected and re-applying :smile:
I'll just back up while I'm posting that if you do choose a campus, say Scotland, you will in the majority of cases get Scotland or rejection, there's very little movement. There are a few special cases, but that's how it is more often than not. I put Scotland, was rejected, and then was told if I had put Manchester I would have got an offer, so there's some proof for you :smile:
Reply 34
Wow.. this thread is so dead relative to other threads!! What's wrong with St. Andrews? :P
I would love to go to St. Andrews for university... Fantastic scenary there, i think it will be an awesome place to live in
Reply 35
Original post by doctork2
Wow.. this thread is so dead relative to other threads!! What's wrong with St. Andrews? :P
I would love to go to St. Andrews for university... Fantastic scenary there, i think it will be an awesome place to live in

Hey! Me too! Six years is a long course though with a large debt at the end.
Definitely reapplying here this year after being rejected last year after interview - fell in love with the medical school while I was there!
Original post by atomos
Definitely reapplying here this year after being rejected last year after interview - fell in love with the medical school while I was there!

Atomos! you're back :biggrin: I wonder if we'll be ukcat twins again :rolleyes:
Original post by Quackers93
Atomos! you're back :biggrin: I wonder if we'll be ukcat twins again :rolleyes:

i am indeed back!

ha, that would be quite funny if we were! have you sat it yet?
Reply 39
Hey! I've been looking for this thread for ages!
I'm applying this year for the first time but I really dont know if my chances are that high. St Andrews looks amazing and is definitely one of my top choices!
I got 5A*s 3As 2Bs at GCSE and AAAB at AS...
I also got 690 on the UKCAT
Think I'd be ok applying?

Also what is the course like...I understand its pre-clinical then clinical but do you learn any clinical skills in the first 3 years and are there people to help if you dont fully understand something?

Thankyou!

Quick Reply

Latest