London

Ask a Current UCL Student: The Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bzzz
Erm... I'm doing the pre-enrollment and on the fees page it says this:

For Academic Year 2011: Fee Contribution £
2011 Programme Fees - Your Self-Payer Fee Contribution 3,375.00
Total Programme Fees your Sponsor/Student Loan will pay 0.00

Does this mean UCL thinks I'll pay for the fees myself, and nothing comes from my Student Loan? As far as i'm aware, and according to the letter from the SLC, the course is paid for by my tuition fee loan. Anyone else had this come up?

Don't pay it any attention. The money will go straight from student finance to the university.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 1981
i'm a prospective engineering student. for three of my uni choices i have chosen three genereal engineering courses but for two (including ucl) i want to do electrical eng. will choosing two courses and having my pers stat weighted towards an electrical side, but still showing interest in other engineering areas compromise me?
Reply 1982
Original post by The Question
We have two lab modules: labs first term and labs second term. If you're doing theoretical you have to do first term (everyone does it) but you won't do second term.

Also you have to do the observatories as well.

I have no idea about your practial maths module though.

do i have to do the observatories either way?
also are the job prospects of theo physics vs. straight physics any different? i want to go into the city. thanks :smile:
Original post by kttt101
do i have to do the observatories either way?
also are the job prospects of theo physics vs. straight physics any different? i want to go into the city. thanks :smile:

Yes, yes, yes.

EVERYONE has to do observatories in the first term of first year.

And no I don't think the city cares much if you do a theoretical or non theoretical physics degree.
Original post by the question
yes, yes, yes.

Everyone has to do observatories in the first term of first year.

And no i don't think the city cares much if you do a theoretical or non theoretical physics degree.

hey are you doing degree in physics too ?! Lol?
Reply 1985
Omg thank God for this thread lol.

By any chance has anyone studied a research methods MSc? If so, how was it? Also hope you don't mind me asking what was your undergrad degree classification was and do you think it was relatively ''easy''/ ''hard'' to get into UCL?

Also would like anyone's opinion on this. I've just completed my BSc in Psychology and have got a place to do the research methods MSc at my uni. However, I'm in the position where I wish I had applied elsewhere, namely UCL for my postgrad. Do you think I should reapply to UCL next year for the MSc or just stick it out at my uni (even though I can't stand the sight of it anymore lol)

Any advice please? :frown:
Reply 1986
Yes, yes, yes.

EVERYONE has to do observatories in the first term of first year.

And no I don't think the city cares much if you do a theoretical or non theoretical physics degree.

fun times then lol :smile:

how easy is it to change from physics to theoretical physics once im there? at the open day the programme tutor made it sound pretty easy..
Original post by Zee_zee
Omg thank God for this thread lol.

By any chance has anyone studied a research methods MSc? If so, how was it? Also hope you don't mind me asking what was your undergrad degree classification was and do you think it was relatively ''easy''/ ''hard'' to get into UCL?

Also would like anyone's opinion on this. I've just completed my BSc in Psychology and have got a place to do the research methods MSc at my uni. However, I'm in the position where I wish I had applied elsewhere, namely UCL for my postgrad. Do you think I should reapply to UCL next year for the MSc or just stick it out at my uni (even though I can't stand the sight of it anymore lol)

Any advice please? :frown:

My girlfriend is about to start MSc Research Methods for Psychology this year at UCL. She got a first in her BSc Psychology.

That's up to you, at the end of the day. I obviously don't know how much your University is charging for its fees, but UCL's are £5,700 off the top of my head, and of course living in London is more expensive. Then again, UCL is very highly ranked for Psychology, so it's swings and roundabouts.
Original post by ibysaiyan
hey are you doing degree in physics too ?! Lol?

Yep.
Reply 1989
im going to start at the uni at the 25th wooho but i was just wondering is it okey that i have not yet received any information about the accommodation i applied to.
Yep.

Oo nice ,which year ? so that's you,me and jason (who just graduated)as physicists doing weight lifting .
Oo nice ,which year ? so that's you,me and jason (who just graduated)as physicists doing weight lifting .

About to enter second year.

:smile:
About to enter second year.

:smile:

Cool =P how long is the course 3 or four years ?:P
Cool =P how long is the course 3 or four years ?:P

Right now its four years but, I might do a batchelors instead.
Right now its four years but, I might do a batchelors instead.

OOh.. right I see =]
Hello!

If anyone is studying French or Russian as part of ESPS, I have a lot of the first year textbooks you need! I was a first year UCL student last year and have still to sell my textbooks - many were purchased brand new last september.

French:

France in Modern Times 3rd Edition, Gordon Wright
Phedre, Racine + accompanying literary notes
The Penguin Book of French Poetry 1820 - 1950
Essais Livre 1, Montaigne
J'accuse! et autres textes sur l'affaire Dreyfus... Emile Zola

Russian:

Rus' A Comprehensive Course in Russian, Sarah Smyth
The Queen of Spades, Alexander Pushkin

If you're interested in any of the above then please e-mail me at [email protected] and we can sort something out.

Good luck at UCL! x
A very quick question:

Do we get freezers?!

I am at Schafer if this makes any difference.

I will be sad if not :emo:
Hello there, I am a MSc student and I was just offered an ensuite room in James Lighthill. At first I was excited! Good price, nice area, new building and then I saw the overnight quests policy. It says no visitors at all after 11. I 'm so very sad I'm not a party aninal at all but I would like to being able to have friend visiting and staying with me whenever I want. Have you heard anything about this policy? how strict do you think it is in James Lighthill???? Regards, Angeliki
Is it best to buy plates, pans, pots etc before you move in or after?
Original post by dirtyoldriver
A very quick question:

Do we get freezers?!

I am at Schafer if this makes any difference.

I will be sad if not :emo:

You should have communal fridge-freezers (except Astor, where there are just a communal freezer on all floors). The amount of fridge freezers depend on how many you're sharing with (so that means I'm not sure how many of them per kitchen)

Original post by Aku-gila
Is it best to buy plates, pans, pots etc before you move in or after?

Doesn't really matter?

I'm pretty sure that at least the Sainsburys on TCR will have plates, cutlery, glasses, maybe pots and pans. There's also a Robert Dyas on TCR, which should have those as well. There's also places on Oxford street as well.

If you have some and can bring them, bring them. If not, it's not an issue, but it's probably cheaper to bring them.

Quick Reply

Latest