The Student Room Group

The Classics Society Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by skunky x
Will look out for it! How long do you think it takes to do it properly? My boyfriend has a baking class in the evening and wants to visit Camden, so we need to not spend the whole day indulging me!

We were there all day and still didn't manage to see it all, if you are pushed for time, pick the exhibits that interest you and go and see them. Then if you still have time you can have a look at others. I intend to go and visit again, hopefully before London goes a bit crazy with the Olympics. Hope you have fun, I certainly did.:biggrin: There was also a lovely cafe nearby, whether it's still there I don't know. Sadly I can't remember what it's called. Also there's a shop called 'It's all Greek' or something like that just down the street from it, which is quite interesting.
Original post by RedDragon
We were there all day and still didn't manage to see it all, if you are pushed for time, pick the exhibits that interest you and go and see them. Then if you still have time you can have a look at others. I intend to go and visit again, hopefully before London goes a bit crazy with the Olympics. Hope you have fun, I certainly did.:biggrin: There was also a lovely cafe nearby, whether it's still there I don't know. Sadly I can't remember what it's called. Also there's a shop called 'It's all Greek' or something like that just down the street from it, which is quite interesting.

Hrmm. Am going to download the list of things it says you 'need' to see if you do a three hour visit and pick and choose =]
Go and look at the Bassae freize if the room is open (its upstairs in its own little room behind.. well I can't remember, but you go in go through the door on th left of the reading room, and turn left again and the stairs are there :tongue: ) and you like that type of thing!... I find that particular temple exeptionally interesting and I did my final A level coursework and a first year undegrad essay on it, so I might be unusual in really wanting to see it! I have tried the last two times I went (last summer and a bit before then) but it was closed :hrmph:.
My exam is next week

Does anyone have any Classics jokes or anything? :colonhash:
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
My exam is next week

I've not got any classics jokes (how many classicists does it take to change a lightbulb? :ninja:), but I've got some classical jokes. :thumbsup:

http://www9.georgetown.edu/faculty/jod/apuleius/renberg/PHILOGELOS.HTML

Oh, and g'luck in the exam!
(edited 12 years ago)
Revision has been rather hard for me this holiday so far. Not done any, going to sit down now and learn some Latin. Bit worried about my general Ancient History exam as we haven't been told much about it at all as the module coordinator wants us to actually learn stuff on our own rather than just for the exam. I agree with it but it scares me still! Especially as it is general themes and approaches to AH.
Original post by jismith1989
I've not got any classics jokes (how many classicists does it take to change a lightbulb? :ninja:), but I've got some classical jokes. :thumbsup:

http://www9.georgetown.edu/faculty/jod/apuleius/renberg/PHILOGELOS.HTML

Oh, and g'luck in the exam!

Spoiler

Thanks :biggrin: It's in translation, but it's about the Roman empire ... :colonhash:
(edited 12 years ago)
My exam is next week

A good classicist never declines sex :wink:

Did you hear about the frog who learnt to write Latin?
The other frogs said "Scribit, scribit"

Caesar ad sum iam forte
Brutus et erat
Caesar sic in omnibus
Brutus sic in at

How did the Roman empire get split in half?
With a pair of Caesars

That's all I can think of, I'm afraid!
Reply 1648
Original post by riotgrrl

Caesar ad sum iam forte
Brutus et erat
Caesar sic in omnibus
Brutus sic in at

With a pair of Caesars

Haha, love the pair of Caesars^^

Sorry I've been quite mute recently, quite busy times... I shall get back you you on the blog thing, Lyceum.
Did you hear about the frog who learnt to write Latin? The other frogs said "Scribit, scribit"
:rofl:
Caesar ad sum iam forte
Brutus et erat
Caesar sic in omnibus
Brutus sic in at
I didn't get that without Google's help (probably because I was pronouncing iam and forte properly :ninja:), I just thought my Latin had suddenly disappeared from under my feet -- was very worrying! :eek:

I did try to rep you, but, alas, it won't let me.
(edited 12 years ago)
:rofl: I didn't get that without Google's help (probably because I was pronouncing iam and forte properly :ninja:), I just thought my Latin had suddenly disappeared from under my feet -- was very worrying! :eek:

I did try to rep you, but, alas, it won't let me.

For some reason, I always hear it in my head with a cockney accent xD

Maybe if I write these in my collection, my tutor will overlook the fact that I have wholly failed to prepare for it.

Caesar ad sum iam forte
Brutus et erat
Caesar sic in omnibus
Brutus sic in at

With a pair of Caesars

Bravo.

I particularly like the first one :colone:
My exam is next week

If you're looking for classics-based light relief, check out:
http://tinyurl.com/coolclassicsinnit
Original post by placenta medicae talpae
If you're looking for classics-based light relief, check out:
http://tinyurl.com/coolclassicsinnit
Oh yes, and the beautiful Bethany's going to be talking about priestesses and poetesses tonight [at 9pm on BBC Two]; it seems to be a fecund season for popular classics docs at the moment.
Oh yes, and the beautiful Bethany's going to be talking about priestesses and poetesses tonight [at 9pm on BBC Two]; it seems to be a fecund season for popular classics docs at the moment.

I know, right? going to be sexalacious. Yes, its a word. My spellcheck has it.

I don't know how I feel about it all, sitting there I tend to see SO many factual inaccuracies but on the other hand it gets people interested, you know? It even sometimes gets other Classicists interested in your subject area sometimes. I remember people constantly asking me about what I know re: Spartan Cults and Religion thanks to Bethany's programme on the Spartans. Plus she is rather friendly and charming over all, a good poster-woman for the Classics. I admit whenever I see something interesting that I don't know too much about via a documentary I tend to e-mail and ask someone who does. :tongue:

"Sup? Can we talk about prostitution in ancient Ostia?" Is a great introduction after all.
Did anyone watch the Meet the Romans with Mary Beard last night?

I found it ok but there were some factual inaccuracies in that. One right away in talking about freed slaves as Roman Citizens. As far as I was aware I thought that they had limited rights but were never made full Roman Citizens?
Original post by SirMasterKey
Did anyone watch the Meet the Romans with Mary Beard last night?

I found it ok but there were some factual inaccuracies in that. One right away in talking about freed slaves as Roman Citizens. As far as I was aware I thought that they had limited rights but were never made full Roman Citizens?

Complex and multi-layered from what I understand, depends on the time period too. E.g post Caracella everything worked a bit differently.

You have to bear in mind the wonderful Roman idea of release slaves/make more Roman citizens and then tax people/press into military. Genius really.
Original post by RedDragon

Original post by skunky x
Will look out for it! How long do you think it takes to do it properly? My boyfriend has a baking class in the evening and wants to visit Camden, so we need to not spend the whole day indulging me!

There are no words for how amazing the British Museum is. To me it's like a family you've known your whole life, and each room is a different family member that tells you the same old stories that you listen to time and again, not to humour them but out of love and affection. If you're pressed for time then I would suggest hitting up the rooms in the West, that is to say the Assyrian Egyptian Greek and Roman rooms. Especially the Elgin Marbles, what with public opinion swinging towards returning them to Athens. And the Hajj exhibition is very informative...though actually I think that might have just ended. Yes, it has :frown: damn, I wanted to see it again as I was really tired the first time around!

In other news, hello everyone! *waves* I'll be studying some classics in September at Glasgow, though I am faced with a dilemma that maybe you could help me with: how important would you say Greek and Latin are for studying Classics? I've actually applied for History even though the classical era is my favourite period (at least, according to my personal statement :tongue:) and so I'll be taking Classical Civilisation too (for those that are unaware you do three subjects in years one and two before your degree in years three and four). The thing that's been keeping me up researching until the early hours of the morning for a month now is what to do for the third subject. I love Philosophy, and the opportunity to study it at Glasgow is one of the main reasons I'm transferring there from where I am at the moment instead of straight into the second year at Leicester (which would be only History and also miles cheaper). But I'm afraid that I'll end up adoring Classics and want to do that as my degree instead of History, in which case I imagine learning Latin and Greek alongside it would be invaluable...at the same time if I don't like Classics I want History to fall back on. Also one of the Classics lecturers is an undergraduate course convenor and on the visit day he advised against "putting all your Classics eggs in one basket" and not do Classics Latin and Greek. But it seems to me if you really want to get a feel for the subject you need to be able to do it in the language, surely?!

In summary, my question to you all is how important are Latin and Greek in studying Classics, what exactly you learn in Classics (from my research it seems to be Ancient History with some literature and art etc thrown in, but I'm still very vague on the distinction) and to ArcadiaHouse specifically, how you're finding Glasgow and how the Classics Summer School was last year? If anyone can help me it would be much appreciated, it's been doing my head in for ages ><
Reply 1658
Original post by SacredWolf
There are no words for how amazing the British Museum is. To me it's like a family you've known your whole life, and each room is a different family member that tells you the same old stories that you listen to time and again, not to humour them but out of love and affection. If you're pressed for time then I would suggest hitting up the rooms in the West, that is to say the Assyrian Egyptian Greek and Roman rooms. Especially the Elgin Marbles, what with public opinion swinging towards returning them to Athens. And the Hajj exhibition is very informative...though actually I think that might have just ended. Yes, it has :frown: damn, I wanted to see it again as I was really tired the first time around!

In other news, hello everyone! *waves* I'll be studying some classics in September at Glasgow, though I am faced with a dilemma that maybe you could help me with: how important would you say Greek and Latin are for studying Classics? I've actually applied for History even though the classical era is my favourite period (at least, according to my personal statement :tongue:) and so I'll be taking Classical Civilisation too (for those that are unaware you do three subjects in years one and two before your degree in years three and four). The thing that's been keeping me up researching until the early hours of the morning for a month now is what to do for the third subject. I love Philosophy, and the opportunity to study it at Glasgow is one of the main reasons I'm transferring there from where I am at the moment instead of straight into the second year at Leicester (which would be only History and also miles cheaper). But I'm afraid that I'll end up adoring Classics and want to do that as my degree instead of History, in which case I imagine learning Latin and Greek alongside it would be invaluable...at the same time if I don't like Classics I want History to fall back on. Also one of the Classics lecturers is an undergraduate course convenor and on the visit day he advised against "putting all your Classics eggs in one basket" and not do Classics Latin and Greek. But it seems to me if you really want to get a feel for the subject you need to be able to do it in the language, surely?!

In summary, my question to you all is how important are Latin and Greek in studying Classics, what exactly you learn in Classics (from my research it seems to be Ancient History with some literature and art etc thrown in, but I'm still very vague on the distinction) and to ArcadiaHouse specifically, how you're finding Glasgow and how the Classics Summer School was last year? If anyone can help me it would be much appreciated, it's been doing my head in for ages ><

I was there for that speech, he was fab! Don't forget, you could always take up (or drop) a language in your second year or even wait until junior honours before starting with the languages. Iirc most modules are in translation anyway, apart from the specific language modules.
(I'm probably going to put Glasgow as my insurance :redface:)
Original post by SacredWolf

Only if the Greeks can give assurances that they won't put them back on the Parthenon (would be lovely to see them there, but Athens smog would destroy them), also due to their 'financial issues' I don't think we need to worry just yet, they have more pressing matters.:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending