generous handful of fresh basil
small amount of Greek basil
parmesan (to taste)
extra virgin olive oil
a handful of pine nuts
a little garlic
salt and pepper

procedure:
chuck all the ingredients in a blender or food processor or use a pestle and mortar until in a paste
put over pasta or on top of salmon and chicken

I ate pesto di ruccola (rocket pesto) in Sicily and it was AMAZING. It's a bit different, but still amazingly tasty. Just switch basil with rocket.
Lemon and Ginger Cheesecake.

This is a no bake cheesecake that I sort of made up using parts from different recipes. The quantities listed below don't need to be exact, I do it almost by eye all of the time. As long as you follow the basic method and achieve the correct consistencies for each of the parts it should be fine.

Ingredients (for a 9 inch springform or loose bottomed cake tin).
600g Full fat cream cheese.
200mL double cream.
2-3 unwaxed lemons.
100g Icing sugar (you may want to add more).
300g ginger nut biscuits.
75-100g Glace ginger.
1 jar of lemon curd (decent quality).
150g Unsalted butter.

Method.

1. Biscuit Base.
-a) Crush the ginger nut biscuits until they are fine but have smallish chunks in to keep some texture.
-b) Melt the unsalted butter in a pan big enough to hold all of the biscuits.
-c) Stir in the crushed biscuits until coated in butter, this should smell really good and have the texture of wet sand.
-d) Add about 50g of the finely chopped glace ginger and stir well.
-e) Evenly spread this mixture over the base of the tin and compact it with your hands or a flat bottomed glass until flat and firm.
-d) Refrigerate for a couple of hours or put in the freezer for 30-40mins.

2. Cream Cheese Filling.
-a) Empty the cream cheese into a large bowl and beat down until soft with a wooden spoon or spatula (remember to pour off the small amount of fluid from the top of the cream cheese).
-b) Beat in 100g or so of icing sugar until evenly mixed in. Taste the mixture and make sure it is sweet to your taste. (TIP: Make it over sweet, because you're going to balance it out with the lemon juice and whipped cream)
-c) Add the zest of 2-3 lemons, the juice of approx. 2 lemons (about half a cup) and most of the remaining ginger leaving some for the top - and stir in. Taste again and you should notice that the sweetness has mellowed out a bit, but feel free to add more sugar if its not sweet enough.

At this stage the mixture may feel sloppy and wet, this is ok.

-d) Whip the 250mL of double cream fully but to not over whip as it turns into a buttery mess. Make sure it can hold a soft peak.
-e) fold in about half of the whipped cream to make the mix thicker and drier. Then carefully fold in the remainder of the cream. The result should be a thick creamy mixture which doesnt fall off the spoon like a liquid.

3. Assembly and topping.
-a) Get the base out of the fridge/freezer after the required time and scrape the mixture out into the tin and spread evenly making it as flat and as smooth as possible (TIP: Use a piece of card from a cereal packet if you don't have a plastic scraper).
-b) Refrigerate again for a couple of hours (or 30-40mins in the freezer).
-c) About 10mins before you take the cheesecake out of the freezer spoon out the lemon curd into a small pot and put on the stove on a relatively low heat. We need to make it into a liquid.
-d) Once the lemon curd is melted add the last few pieces of ginger and let the liquid cool.

This part is important, don't let it cool too much that it wont be pourable over the cheesecake, but at the same time it cant be too hot or it will melt the top of the cheesecake creating a mess.

-e) Quickly pour over the lemon curd/ginger and tilt the tin until there is an even spread. Refrogerate again for at least 2 hours for best results.

Voila. Very easy, and its not an exact science either. You could even leave out the ginger if you don't like it and substitute the ginger nuts for digestives or Hobnobs and you have a regular lemon cheesecake.
(edited 12 years ago)
Steak Ciabatta with Balsamic Caramelised Onions, Brie and Aioli

This is a simple but delicious steak sandwich which makes me drool every time!

Ingredients (1 person).
Ciabatta loaf (you wont use all of this)
Sirloin steak
2 small red onions or 1 large (finely sliced).
2tbsp. balsamic vinegar.
Black pepper (pref. freshly ground).
Salt (pref. freshly ground rock salt or sea salt).
Olive oil.
1/2 clove of garlic (minced or finely chopped).
1tbsp. mayonnaise.
1/2tsp. Dijon mustard (optional).
30g Brie cheese (thinly sliced).
Sprinkling of sugar.

Method

1. Balsamic Caramelised Onions.
-a) Sautee the sliced onions lightly in a small amount (tsp) of olive oil with salt and pepper until softened (around 5-8 minutes).
-b) Sprinkle with about a tsp. of sugar and stir until dissolved.
-c) Keep the onions on a low heat stirring occasionally and they will eventually become very soft, brown and sticky as the added sugar and natural sugars caramelise (another 20 mins).
-d) Once the onions have caramelised, pour in 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar and turn up the heat. Reduce to a syrup and the onions should have a thick sticky texture.

2. Sirloin steak
-a) Make sure you take the steak out of the fridge a couple of hours before cooking to equalise the temperature throughout the meat (DO NOT season at this point, salt will destroy the meat).
-b) Rub enough olive oil to coat the steak and no more, this is better than oiling the pan and avoids a lot of smoke (also uses less oil). Season one side and lay down carefully on a very hot pre-heated griddle pan. Season the other side at this point.
-c) Depending on the thickness of your steak and how you like it cooked, the cooking time will be different. There are plenty of online guides to tell you how to cook a steak to your liking. (Gordon Ramsay will tell you how to do it HERE )
-d) It is important to rest the meat before you slice it, this will prevent all of the juices spilling out as you cut the steak. Resting the meat gives us time to sort out the bread, cheese and aioli.

3. Bread, Cheese and Aioli

TIP: When you put your steak on, turn the grill on as well so you have a not oven to toast the bread in after the steak is cooked.
-a) Split the ciabatta through the centre and lightly drizzle olive oil on the inside of the bread.
-b) Put under a hot grill for 2-3 minutes or until crisp (TIP: you can also crisp the other sides of the bread, but do this first before you oil the inside unless you want oil everywhere in the oven).
-c) Finely chop half a clove of garlic and mix with a tbsp of mayonnaise, salt and pepper, and 1/2tsp of Dijon mustard if you have it - This is a simple aioli.

4. Assembly

Something to bear in mind when making this is that the onions take about 30mins, so you could get everything else done to coincide with the onions. The steak can sit for 5 minutes after cooking, you can make the aioli and slice the cheese in the meantime.
-a) Spread the aioli on the bottom layer of the bread and then add the sliced steak (or my all means keep it whole).
-b) Top the steak with the Brie and then follow with the onions.
-c) Top layer of ciabatta and we're done (TIP: squash the whole thing slightly and it soaks up some of the juices into the bread making it easier to eat and cut.).

This is a great BBQ dish as most components can be made in advance and its as easy as assembling a burger - but miles better. For a bit of added freshness, you could also add some lightly dressed rocket.
(edited 12 years ago)
what are enchiladas? are they the ones that are like faijita's, but covered in cheese sauce and baked? minus lettuce obviously. that wouldnt bake well.

im making some faijitas tomorrow, with a faijita seasoning packet and various mixed beans, and a few other bits and bobs. im only feeding one, so ill have leftovers, so i thought i would make enchiladas later in the week but i dont know if what im thinking of is enchiladas...
Reply 424
I don't really cook much.. and in a recipe for rissoto it says to use unsalted butter, would using magerine be okay?
Reply 425
Original post by N!*
I don't really cook much.. and in a recipe for rissoto it says to use unsalted butter, would using magerine be okay?

Thanks for the neg :h:
Reply 426
Original post by Trigger

Original post by Trigger
Thanks for the neg :h:

:unsure:
Original post by N!*

Block margarine (the sort you get like a stick of butter) might be okay, it won't taste as nice though. The margarine/spread you get in a tub won't be right though. Hope that helps!
Reply 428
Original post by SoapyDish

Original post by SoapyDish
Block margarine (the sort you get like a stick of butter) might be okay, it won't taste as nice though. The margarine/spread you get in a tub won't be right though. Hope that helps!

That's what I used, don't think it was right lol.
Reply 429
Creamy mushroom pasta:

For the sauce, fry some garlic, later add the mushroom, parsley, salt (and white pepper if you can). Add creme fraiche/double cream (depending on preference) and leave for a few minutes. Add to pasta (I like it with tagliatelle). Finish with parmesan.
Reply 430
Original post by Trigger
My lunchtime hot n sweet pasta

Makes enough for four/five days
X1 chicken breast cut into small chunks but works just as well with leftovers
500g ish of pasta (i like the stuff with the holes in so the sauce gets in there
x2 cans of toms
x1 small carton of passata
x1 onion
x3 garlic cloves
x1 tbls white wine vinegar
x1 tbls red wine vinegar
X1 tbls chilli flakes (you can add more or less to taste, i like it quite spicy!)
x1 tbls basil (dry)
x1 tbls oregano
X1 tbls sugar

Mince the onion and garlic in a blender or chop finely and put into a warm pan with some olive oil
Cook till soft
Add the toms and passata stirring to get the onion mixture mixed in
Add the other ingredients excluding chicken and pasta
Put water on the boil and add pasta
Whilst you are doing this add the chicken into the sauce so "poach" it.
Add the cooked pasta and stir through well
Leave to cool then put into your tupperware dishes for the week and leave in fridge.
I like these cold but you can zap them if you have access to the microwave.

Oooh I really want to try this! Is there anything you recommend substituting for the wine? Or is it fine to take out? I don't drink :redface:
Reply 431
Original post by 7887
Oooh I really want to try this! Is there anything you recommend substituting for the wine? Or is it fine to take out? I don't drink :redface:

Well it's white wine vinegar so not technically wine. If you don't want to add it thats fine though :smile:
Reply 432
Original post by Trigger
Well it's white wine vinegar so not technically wine. If you don't want to add it thats fine though :smile:

Ooops silly me :colondollar: I'll give it a try, thanks again :smile:
Reply 433
Original post by George Agdgdgwngo
Steak Ciabatta with Balsamic Caramelised Onions, Brie and Aioli

This is a simple but delicious steak sandwich which makes me drool every time!

Ingredients (1 person).
Ciabatta loaf (you wont use all of this)
Sirloin steak
2 small red onions or 1 large (finely sliced).
2tbsp. balsamic vinegar.
Black pepper (pref. freshly ground).
Salt (pref. freshly ground rock salt or sea salt).
Olive oil.
1/2 clove of garlic (minced or finely chopped).
1tbsp. mayonnaise.
1/2tsp. Dijon mustard (optional).
30g Brie cheese (thinly sliced).
Sprinkling of sugar.

Method

1. Balsamic Caramelised Onions.
-a) Sautee the sliced onions lightly in a small amount (tsp) of olive oil with salt and pepper until softened (around 5-8 minutes).
-b) Sprinkle with about a tsp. of sugar and stir until dissolved.
-c) Keep the onions on a low heat stirring occasionally and they will eventually become very soft, brown and sticky as the added sugar and natural sugars caramelise (another 20 mins).
-d) Once the onions have caramelised, pour in 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar and turn up the heat. Reduce to a syrup and the onions should have a thick sticky texture.

2. Sirloin steak
-a) Make sure you take the steak out of the fridge a couple of hours before cooking to equalise the temperature throughout the meat (DO NOT season at this point, salt will destroy the meat).
-b) Rub enough olive oil to coat the steak and no more, this is better than oiling the pan and avoids a lot of smoke (also uses less oil). Season one side and lay down carefully on a very hot pre-heated griddle pan. Season the other side at this point.
-c) Depending on the thickness of your steak and how you like it cooked, the cooking time will be different. There are plenty of online guides to tell you how to cook a steak to your liking. (Gordon Ramsay will tell you how to do it HERE )
-d) It is important to rest the meat before you slice it, this will prevent all of the juices spilling out as you cut the steak. Resting the meat gives us time to sort out the bread, cheese and aioli.

3. Bread, Cheese and Aioli

TIP: When you put your steak on, turn the grill on as well so you have a not oven to toast the bread in after the steak is cooked.
-a) Split the ciabatta through the centre and lightly drizzle olive oil on the inside of the bread.
-b) Put under a hot grill for 2-3 minutes or until crisp (TIP: you can also crisp the other sides of the bread, but do this first before you oil the inside unless you want oil everywhere in the oven).
-c) Finely chop half a clove of garlic and mix with a tbsp of mayonnaise, salt and pepper, and 1/2tsp of Dijon mustard if you have it - This is a simple aioli.

4. Assembly

Something to bear in mind when making this is that the onions take about 30mins, so you could get everything else done to coincide with the onions. The steak can sit for 5 minutes after cooking, you can make the aioli and slice the cheese in the meantime.
-a) Spread the aioli on the bottom layer of the bread and then add the sliced steak (or my all means keep it whole).
-b) Top the steak with the Brie and then follow with the onions.
-c) Top layer of ciabatta and we're done (TIP: squash the whole thing slightly and it soaks up some of the juices into the bread making it easier to eat and cut.).

This is a great BBQ dish as most components can be made in advance and its as easy as assembling a burger - but miles better. For a bit of added freshness, you could also add some lightly dressed rocket.

holy mother of god
Reply 434
Original post by CJ

Inspired by BennyBoy65 who brought the idea back to the surface, after previous threads had been popular... but in time had disappeared without being stickied. So I thought it would be a good idea to expand on the idea, by updating the front page with links to each person's recipe and the Wiki page.
Another big thanks to Roger_Kirk for setting up the Wiki and adding a lot of the recipies.

In time this page will be updated with all the links to the individual recipies, but please realise this takes time :p: But will be done ASAP. But feel free to keep posting :smile:

Involving the TSR Wiki

Not to undermine the TSR wiki and it's food section, by posting your recipies here, you or I (if you don't want to) can then copy and paste them into the Wiki's section of the Recipe Book.
Other TSR users can then add to or suggest ways in which to make the recipe better by using the Wiki's simple editing tool. A link to the each Wiki page will be given on this page.

No official format to the book. Just make sure all the recipies include all the info required.

Current Recipes, grouped by type
(once more posts have been made, more will be added).

Main Courses

Asparagus Risotto
Aubergine Bake
Aubergine and lentil curry
Basic (French) Omelette
Basic Tomato Sauce
Beef Burgers
Braised Red Cabbage
Bolognese
Calamari
Cheese Sauce
Cheese Toasties
Cheesy chicken and leek
Chicken and Cashew Nuts
Chicken Casserole
Chicken in Creamy Sauce
Chicken Kiev with Garlic Butter
Chicken Noddle Stir Fry
Cornish Pasty
Crunchy Chicken Salad with Caesar-style Dressing
Easy Stew
Egg Fried Rice
Eggplant Dip
Flatbread Pizza
Frenchbread Pizza
Garlic Bread
Garlicy Broccoli with Pasta
Gratin of fish with cheese, tomatoes and herbs
Grilled Salmon
Irish Buckrarebit
Jacket Potatoes
Kedgeree
Kefalonian Meat Pie
Lazy Meatballs
Minced Beef, Beans and Pasta Bake
Minted Lamb Burgers
Moroccan chicken with cous cous
Moroccan Chicken with Eggplant Garbanzo Ragout
Onion Soup
Orange Fish
On Toasts
Parmo
Pasta
Pasta and Pesto
Pasta with Red Peppers
Pizza
Potato Pancakes
Prawn Stir-Fry
Ricotta and Spinach Tortellini
Roasted Chicken Breast on a bed of Fried Salad
Roasted Red Peppers with Tomatoes and Onions
Salmon Frittata
Salsa Rice
Seared Tuna
Spag Bol Spaghetti Bolognese Sauce
Spaghetti Pomodore
Spaghetti Vongle
Spicy Fish
Stuffed Chicken Breast
Sweet Chilli Noodles
Toasted Sandwiches
Tomato, mozarella and pesto bruschetta
Vegetable Soup
Vegetable Stock
Vegetarian Pitta
White Bean Salad Whole Stuffed Sea Bass

So get posting & cooking :biggrin: and if you think you know of any issues or suggestions for a recipe, please use the Wiki and it's edit function. This thread is in it's early stages, so expect ongoing changes :smile:

Where do I post my questions about cooking? Can I post them here?
Reply 435
Depends what the question is. Try searching the forum and if nothing comes up you can post a new thread. I love cooking so feel free to PM me and ask away/
Erm..Fairy cakes?:smile: I'm sure someone must've posted a recipe here but I'll post mine anyway. It's like the easiest recipe ever.
Makes 12 cakes.
90g self raising flour
90g caster sugar
90g soft margarine
2 medium eggs
half a teaspoon of vanilla essence
[Equipment: a 12-hole shallow bun tray, and paper cake cases!]

Heat oven to 190c. Put paper cases into each hole of the tray. Sieve the flour into a bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir everything together. Use a spoon to put some mixture in each of the cases (use up all of the mixture). Bake for 15 mins. If you want to decorate them let the cakes cool fully.
Original post by Cherriesxo
Erm..Fairy cakes?:smile: I'm sure someone must've posted a recipe here but I'll post mine anyway. It's like the easiest recipe ever.
Makes 12 cakes.
90g self raising flour
90g caster sugar
90g soft margarine
2 medium eggs
half a teaspoon of vanilla essence
[Equipment: a 12-hole shallow bun tray, and paper cake cases!]

Heat oven to 190c. Put paper cases into each hole of the tray. Sieve the flour into a bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir everything together. Use a spoon to put some mixture in each of the cases (use up all of the mixture). Bake for 15 mins. If you want to decorate them let the cakes cool fully.

Fairy cakes are one of the easiest and best recipes ever (so I naturally love this :love:)! Basically you need equal parts of the three main ingredients: flour, sugar and butter. I usually mix the sugar and butter together first and would do so really well, as in mix it till your arm hurts, as it makes the softest and creamiest cakes. Also, when sieving the flour, make sure you do it from a height as you want plenty of air in the mixture so they rise.
I'm not vegetarian, but one of my vegetarian friends makes this and it is absolutely delicious.

Garlic hummus

* 1 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained
* 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
* 1/3 cup tahini
* 1/4 cup lemon juice
* 3 tbsp water
* 1 tsp onion powder
* 3/4 tsp garlic salt

Puree all ingredients together in a food processor or blender, scraping the sides as needed. You may need to add a bit more water to get the consistency that you prefer.
Reply 439
I don't really have a name for this, its a stew I just kind of made up from various ingredients.

Main stew ingredients:
- Chicken breasts
- Onions
- Celery
- Carrots
- Potatoes
- Bay leaves or rosemary
- 1 Vegetable stock cube
- Half or 3/4 a cup of tomato juice

Start by marinating the chicken breasts for 30 minutes in salted water and 30 minutes in milk. In the meantime, chop the celery, onions, carrots and potatoes. Chop the potatoes into small chunks so they don't take long to cook. Boil some water into a flat
casserole pan and add the potatoes - cook for about 5-7 minutes until they're halfway done. Using a ladle, remove some of the water from the pan while adding a vegetable stock cube. Reduce the heat and add the chicken breastst to the pan - making sure that the liquid in the pan is only just covering them. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the carrots, onion, celery, tomato juice and bay leaves or rosemary to the pan along with 1 teaspoon of salt and a drop of white wine - then increase the heat again slightly so the alcohol is steamed off. Keep adding salt if you feel its not savoury enough. Once the chicken breasts have been properly cooked, remove them from the pan, slice into fairly big chunks and add them back into the pan. Serve.

Quick Reply

Latest