The Student Room Group

Sociology as an A level views and opinions

is the subject easy or hard ?
what do you have to do ?
is it shunned upon ?
whats your view or experience with this AS subject :smile:
Reply 1
Sociology is definitely an easier subject, and will often be grouped with media and such as one of the micky mouse ones. However, I did sociology and enjoyed it. Some of the topics I studied included family, religion, research methods, education and crime. It really depends on what you want to do at University as to whether or not it is helpful.
Reply 2
Original post by Paicus
what do you have to do ?
is it shunned upon ?

Be a man and do Physics, Biology, Chemistry and Maths.
Even if you don't pass you can still hold your head high because you didn't "cock" out by doing sociology :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by Paicus

It's easy compared to the hard sciences and such. The subject matter is fairly simple to comprehend but the technique of writing a well balanced essay can be a bit tricky for some.

what do you have to do ?

You do the basics of how society works and perpetuates, and the different views on it. Then you go on to study different facets of society such as family, gender, religion and crime. If you want to know more about the hows and whys of society in general, it is the subject for you.

is it shunned upon ?

I don't think it's shunned upon but I don't know much about that. However, it depends on what you want to do. For certain university degrees it's either necessary or gives you a big advantage.

I did it at the A2 level and loved it mainly because I'm really interested in the subject matter. I was gonna do a degree based on anthropology primarily including physical and archaeology. After doing sociology at A Levels, I decided to include a hefty dose of social anthropology which includes a good bit of sociology.
Reply 4
Thanks alot this really helped :smile:
Reply 5
People don't give the subject enough credit. It is easy to pass but it's not easy to get an A. It is a very interesting subject I'd definitely recommend it!
Reply 6
Original post by Paicus
what do you have to do ?
is it shunned upon ?

It's not easy and a doss subject, contrary to what many people say. I'd say it is a bit easier than say, chemistry, but it requires completely different skills and you still have to put it lots of work if you want top achieve a top grade.

I'm doing A2 sociology at the moment and I've studied families & households, education, research methods, beliefs in society (which is essentially religion) and crime & deviance. Other modules include power & politics, mass media etc.

It's looked down upon by people who are pretty ignorant and know nothing/little about it, if I'm completely honest. At prestigious unis like Cambridge etc, they see it as slightly less academically rigorous than more traditional subjects but there are no issues regarding them accepting it as an A level, so don't worry about that. If it was a rubbish subject, there wouldn't be sociology departments at prestigious institutions like Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, etc.

It's very interesting :smile: I'd definitely recommend it! I hope that helped, feel free to PM me if you have any more questions (I've applied to do Sociology/Sociology-related courses at uni).
Original post by bahjat93
Be a man and do Physics, Biology, Chemistry and Maths.
Even if you don't pass you can still hold your head high because you didn't "cock" out by doing sociology :wink:

Be a man and do French, Spanish, Latin and English Lit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending