The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I will throw my credentials in here what do people think? 3As at A level, history, Politics, Economics

History/Politics at the University of York

Nothing to stop you, its pretty similar to what I am doing and I managed to get an internship in S&T. Depends on what you put on your c.v though. I wouldn't just limit yourself to BB either.
Reply 61
nayiseda
PPE from Oxford, yes definitely
PPE from anywhere else (except maybe Warwick), will be harder. Apparently in IB, university rep is generally more important than course.

Yea Oxford PPE is best hands down. Gives econ knowledge, logic, and politics base. Warwick's is pretty decent too, although a very young course (in its 3rd or 4th year only). I know people from straight philosophy from warwick have got FO internships this year...it just depends on if ur from a recruited-from uni and if u can hone in on the basic skills the banks are looking for and can show it through something u do in your course or in terms of ECs.
Reply 62
What's Durham's general reputation with banks?
Reply 63
Barzini
Yea Oxford PPE is best hands down. Gives econ knowledge, logic, and politics base. Warwick's is pretty decent too, although a very young course (in its 3rd or 4th year only). I know people from straight philosophy from warwick have got FO internships this year...it just depends on if ur from a recruited-from uni and if u can hone in on the basic skills the banks are looking for and can show it through something u do in your course or in terms of ECs.

But as you say u know philosophy people getting internships. Were they lucky/Very bright. Of course there will always be exceptions but I doubt that banks don't prefer to have a Good econ student from LSE compared to a phil one from Warwick.

But I don't know, PPE gives you bits of economics and teaches analytical skills, but a straight economics course gives you depth in econ... :confused:
Reply 64
Kollarrunt
But as you say u know philosophy people getting internships. Were they lucky/Very bright. Of course there will always be exceptions but I doubt that banks don't prefer to have a Good econ student from LSE compared to a phil one from Warwick.

But I don't know, PPE gives you bits of economics and teaches analytical skills, but a straight economics course gives you depth in econ... :confused:

Obv a bank would prefer an LSE economist to a Warwick philosopher...i never denied that :confused: My only point is that phil gives one a logical reasoning perspective of everything one does, so if one markets oneself well, its quite possible for a warwick phil to get thru. And banks are not looking for people who can analyse macro and micro events only...most of what you do at a bank is thru learning as you work, so even if u do know econ in depth, it shouldnt make any difference as when spread your degree over Poltics, phil and econ.
bEEt
What's Durham's general reputation with banks?

Better with some than others. Overall not bad but still behind Warwick and possibly Bristol.
Barzini
Obv a bank would prefer an LSE economist to a Warwick philosopher...i never denied that :confused: My only point is that phil gives one a logical reasoning perspective of everything one does, so if one markets oneself well, its quite possible for a warwick phil to get thru. And banks are not looking for people who can analyse macro and micro events only...most of what you do at a bank is thru learning as you work, so even if u do know econ in depth, it shouldnt make any difference as when spread your degree over Poltics, phil and econ.

Someone who talks sense :p:

Once you get an interview, it's up to the person to sell themselves. That's pretty much how recruiting works. If the bank gave you an interview, they're interested. And if you can prove to the firm that you want to learn, work hard, and make money for them, they're not going to think about your degree subject.

I was told by my (future) boss that at the assessment center, HR give you points based on your performance in interviews/activities. Then everyone who meets the points threshold gets discussed. If any of the desks like you, you get hired. If more than one likes you, they battle for you. Subject studied doesn't come into it at that stage at all. Hence why in my AC group, I was the only one who got an offer. The other three people were: UCL Economics (with prior internship at UBS), MSc Finance at Tanaka (with prior internship at UBS), and Warwick Computer Science (currently employed at Citigroup).

Certain subjects are more necessary for certain positions, but for IBD--well, my friend spend 4 years studying economics to make PowerPoint presentations at UBS.
Reply 67
Is it common for Computer Science students to get into IB?
Reply 68
bEEt
Is it common for Computer Science students to get into IB?

usually end up in tech. If u are from a top 10 uni applying for tech, it really shouldnt be that hard to get the interivew. but to get to the interview stage for FO:

Oxbridge Compsci: relatively easy, rides a lot on the name of the uni and the fact that you got in/managed to cope with the pressure

Warwick/Imperial: harder, but definitely not impossible - need to prove more than an oxbridge candidate that u go the extra mile to learn stuff about finance/econ/IB

York and the likes: even more difficult, need to be really in there with banking and finance oriented stuff to show a great deal of passion

City etc., Comspci: very very difficult....need to be a superstar.
Reply 69
Barzini
usually end up in tech. If u are from a top 10 uni applying for tech, it really shouldnt be that hard to get the interivew. but to get to the interview stage for FO:

Oxbridge Compsci: relatively easy, rides a lot on the name of the uni and the fact that you got in/managed to cope with the pressure

Warwick/Imperial: harder, but definitely not impossible - need to prove more than an oxbridge candidate that u go the extra mile to learn stuff about finance/econ/IB

York and the likes: even more difficult, need to be really in there with banking and finance oriented stuff to show a great deal of passion

City etc., Comspci: very very difficult....need to be a superstar.

I would have thought Imperial's Computer Science was really top notch, some people get AAAAA offers I've heard.
Reply 70
Nobody is saying its not top notch. its just that a brilliant compscientist does not necessarily have to be a brilliant banker/trader...so they still have to hone in on learning the finance/econ material that econ students have an advantage in.
Reply 71
Rickard.N
I would have thought Imperial's Computer Science was really top notch, some people get AAAAA offers I've heard.

getting higher offer doesnt make course more competitive.
Reply 72
So, even a degree such as French from Oxford will put you in good stead for a job as an Investment Banker?
bEEt
So, even a degree such as French from Oxford will put you in good stead for a job as an Investment Banker?

If you can explain why you want to get into banking well on the application form, you can definitely get to interview with French from Oxford.
Reply 74
Barzini
Nobody is saying its not top notch. its just that a brilliant compscientist does not necessarily have to be a brilliant banker/trader...so they still have to hone in on learning the finance/econ material that econ students have an advantage in.

not really

It's not like we'll use the stuff we learn from econ in IB.
Reply 75
I'm not doing an econ degree, do i have any chance with a management and french degree from Bath? Is not having A-level maths a major disadvantage? I'm having a gap year so will try and get some finance related work experience.
Reply 76
sax gal
I'm not doing an econ degree, do i have any chance with a management and french degree from Bath? Is not having A-level maths a major disadvantage? I'm having a gap year so will try and get some finance related work experience.

You could take up maths A-Level in the gap year, that would enhance your application.
sax gal

One of my fellow analysts has a Management and language degree from Bath.
Reply 78
ba_ba1
not really

It's not like we'll use the stuff we learn from econ in IB.

at all? :eek:
Then why do the IB's want economics. If it is so unrelated, then all courses should be equally valued, just that some uni's reps are higher...
Reply 79
Kollarrunt
at all? :eek:
Then why do the IB's want economics. If it is so unrelated, then all courses should be equally valued, just that some uni's reps are higher...

because it is a very tough course and shows that you have good maths skills.

Latest

Trending

Trending