3. Burn Models
4. Burn Drawings
5. Stella
6. Marlboro
7. Smash Flat
8. Throw PC out of Window
9. (tbc) start random stress thread on tsr

Scroll to see replies

Seeing as Architecture is supposedly "the sexiest profession", you've missed out an obvious one...
Reply 2
lol nice list.

There's no way i'd be able to afford marlboro lol I'll have to swap them with L&B's, and even thats pushing the boat out. Probs scrape some change together for a packet of Richmond.
Reply 3
just get beyond caring? i've just reached the point where I've really taken my foot off the gas. I'm fed up with hearing visiting architects coming in and telling us about how hard you work for so little pay. I'm not worried about the pay, but the gung-ho work ethic thing is absurd and makes for very boring, one-dimensional people. i don't think any course should expect its students to have to work until 3am every day of the week just to turn out an 'acceptable' project.

i've also figured out that the way that your work is assessed by potential employers is about how good your graphics are and how nifty you are at CAD. I'm just amusing myself playing around to get some nice graphics, never mind all the other things. I'm enjoying using my radiance plug-ins, generating clay renders, etc, i feel i'm improving my images, so that's all i care about.

you learn that you're going to get slated either way at the crits, so i'm thinking might as well get it in the neck having not worked very hard at all rather than slog your guts out and still get crucified. that's happened to me too many times and my philosophy now - 'look - if the only way i can just get through this course is by working all hours god sends, then maybe i'm just not made to do it'.

the trouble is, there are a lot worse people out there who work harder and produce worse work than me who keep slaving away, so the stupid situation of killing ourselves gets perpetuated, without necessarily great architecture being generated.

something is wrong with the way its taught, to my mind.
Reply 4
Welll I have a passion for what I'm doing, i wouldn't do anything else - but I've had it ripped out of me. Day by Day, Crit By Crit.
Creativity, Sensitivity, Passion, Ambition - all these qualities I hold, but each one has been ripped out of me.

I wanted an amazing project, I had the passion, but the project I have has been changed so much it isn't even mine anymore. It's just a product of old men and flippant comments; and a lack of desire to experiment.

We become slaves to the academic machine, focused on producing meaningless results on our transcripts (Get a good mark mentality - regardless whether it is integral or not). Eventually everyone just 'accepts' that 'it's the way of things' and continues the insane hours.

My project is crap tbh. But I'm not alone, everyone seems un-satisfied.

And its not my fault - this may seem that I am simply shifting the responsibility because I'm too proud to admit that I was reponsible for its its creation.

But it's quite the opposite, I believe I could be so much better if I was taught properly. - I believe everyone could be so much better if the system was different.
I am copying out 'management' forms at the moment, and doing 'risk assesment'. This isn't 'architecture' - it's just legislation / total crap.

I hope things will change when I do my year out. I worked less hours in Restaurants, and got more satisfaction from the product. 13/hour days in top gastro establishments are far more satisfying than cadding, you use you're hands enjoy the smell, the feel, and the pace of things. Rather than just die of sheer boredom, spewing out DWG's. Cooking is a sensual experience - architecture, within the current educational process; isn't.

No one I know is actually happy. We all get fixated in 'glamourous architect' titles, and lose touch with what the reality is . We feel that we have to start proving to ourselves, our parents, or whoever - that we can achieve the title - all in all it becomes a really one dimensional student experience.

I have a thirst to do stuff, like mountain biking, travelling, painting, - can I do all of these?... I think not. I have to serve my architecture prison sentence.

Leaving seems soft - almost like admitting failure. I dislike apathetic student mentality, so I'll stick it out. If you're going to invest so much time and money in it - you may aswell earn the title, aside from all the crap - I'm capable of earning it - so I should put my money where my mouth is. It all means very little, my designs are not what I believe in, they are merely the subject of the system.

What depresses me most is the fact that we are led to believe that the course is a good fertile growing ground for our creativity; for gaining a sense of things - the reality is very different - You have every bit of creativity diluted out of you until you are nothing but processed cheese - by the end you have no flavour.

Ah well, only a few more years of porridge to serve.
Reply 5
Would you guys say it is the teaching at your university that is failing you or is it the requirements as laid down in the different parts of the accreditation process?

I really can't see how they can think it is a good idea to have their students constantly working such long hours in terms of either creativity or productivity.
Reply 6
I used think that I would be happier at other schools; but speaking to other students at these schools - they arn't happy either.

Between the architects constantly droning on about poor salaries, inside the insane hours and anti-social offices - what does it all mean? Very little to be honest.

The way I see it - I have 3 choices.

1. To prove myself (gain the 'architect' title) and to become a prisoner of the life that I have created, accept that I can't enjoy a proper student life, accept that I will sacrifice my youth, staring at a screen, with very few 'none-studio' mates, spend my friday nights clicking on autocad whilst everyone else sits in the pub. - Continue being tired, having a poor diet, but claim a glamourous title. Once I get the title; Spend life in an office ridden with bad attitude and a lack of proper principles,

2. Leave entirely - but this will probably mean I'll end up either back in Kitchens, be seen a failure / a uni 'drop out'. - Reality is I can't afford to do another degree, so I'd end up on an apprenticeship or soemthing. Starting training for something else just seems really unfeasible now.

3. Re-invent myself - grab an architecture degree, don't practice - just do the stuff I enjoy doing - not worry too much about money, grasp enough to survive on. Take a new career path be it one of totally no -morals (finance) - but with the credit crunch this doesnt seem wise - or one based around a quality of life (less money, less stress) - say mountain biking/shop in france!?

People get 'London' burnout - I think it's very true that you can get 'Architecture Burn out'.

The problems are at every level, not just with the RIBA but with the universities themselves. Radical new thinking and structure is required across the whole profession if we are to put an end to it. It simply, cannot be a good recipe for the creation of good, well rounded, architects.
Reply 7
Wow. What a good thread, with some profound posts.

I was a second year student at Bath, who dropped out in January- due to severly not enjoying the course, stress- which was beginning to affect my health, depression etc.

I really felt like I was getting nowhere- nobody was inspiring or really intersting me at all- I ended up with a project to tick boxes, I didnt actually like the end product at all.

Anyway, enough of the depressing stuff, I have decided I owe myself one more crack of the whip- am going back for another go at 2nd year in September. This time Im going to take it much easier- enjoy more of a balanced student life (actually join some societies etc) and if I still dont succeed or enjoy architecture after that, then its time to find something else to do.

I totally agree that the unis (well Bath anyway) are so caught up in the endless destructive cycle to encourage us to work constantly- the "cool" attitudes towards regular allnighters etc- it really shouldnt be encouaged at all..
Reply 8
Neil.A.H
Would you guys say it is the teaching at your university that is failing you or is it the requirements as laid down in the different parts of the accreditation process?

I really can't see how they can think it is a good idea to have their students constantly working such long hours in terms of either creativity or productivity.

there really isn't much teaching in architecture, unfortunately. you just learn the hard way through the sweat, tears and blood. you get better, but they expect more, so you're constantly chasing your tail. the thing is, by the time you reach third year, it is rare that you see built architecture or to-be-built architecture in the real world that really fires you up - you just think - yeah - its ok, nothing special, i prob could do something like that. Not in an arrogant way, its just there is very little amazing stuff going up these days that's published in journals.

the trouble is you are constantly being assessed against kahn, zumthor, siza, flw, etc, etc. and obviously you can never match up to that. after a while of being told what's wrong with everything you do, you do start to lose some spirit. its the slow wearing down of any faith in your abilities that i find the most hard to deal with. i don't mind a bit of abuse in a crit, that's like an intense battle you're ready for, but the day to day, week-in, week out of working hard and then pretty much binning it and revising it is quite hard to cope with. 2 steps forward, 2 steps back, etc.

anyway, no point mopping i suppose, its not gonna change.
This thread is depressing me.

What the hell am I letting myself in for :/?!
sorry.

you'll be fine, clever and talented chick like you are.
Haha. Thanks, but I'd rather know the reality than some sugar-coated version of how awesome it'll be.

It just scares the **** out of me because architecture has always been my passion & the only thing I could ever see myself doing, but I can see the course just totally destroying me & my archi love. Sigh.
yeah. but its good for first and second year. i think it just catches up with you a bit by third year - the hours, the criticism, the self-doubt, etc, etc. you're ready for that year out.
Reply 13
jrhartley
there really isn't much teaching in architecture, unfortunately. you just learn the hard way through the sweat, tears and blood. you get better, but they expect more, so you're constantly chasing your tail. the thing is, by the time you reach third year, it is rare that you see built architecture or to-be-built architecture in the real world that really fires you up - you just think - yeah - its ok, nothing special, i prob could do something like that. Not in an arrogant way, its just there is very little amazing stuff going up these days that's published in journals.

the trouble is you are constantly being assessed against kahn, zumthor, siza, flw, etc, etc. and obviously you can never match up to that. after a while of being told what's wrong with everything you do, you do start to lose some spirit. its the slow wearing down of any faith in your abilities that i find the most hard to deal with. i don't mind a bit of abuse in a crit, that's like an intense battle you're ready for, but the day to day, week-in, week out of working hard and then pretty much binning it and revising it is quite hard to cope with. 2 steps forward, 2 steps back, etc.

anyway, no point mopping i suppose, its not gonna change.

OK I'm with you. That must be a real soul-destroying atmosphere to work in I must say. It really does puzzle me that they would think such a destructive approach to the "development" of their students' abilities could be a good thing. I mean, the way you describe it it's almost like some kind of deconditioning programme designed so they can progressively remould you to match their idea of how an architect should think and work. Scary stuff... :s-smilie:
Reply 14
For a topic that started off so light-hearted, I see the work blues have struck again! :rolleyes:

I really hope that I have made the right decision in pursuing a career I feel I will truly enjoy and be damn good at … but reading these (slightly fraying) threads, I cant help but wonder if spending all this money to get the enthusiasm and enjoyment kicked out of me is the best idea that I have had

I currently have a well paid easy going job, but that’s just the problem … I need to be stretched and challenged – the worst decision I feel someone can make is that of rolling over and giving up – be it by carrying on in something you don’t enjoy just because its easier that way or not seeing the wood for the trees and loosing sight of what you love.

Good luck to you all –“Arbeit Macht Frei”

I hope that not in to bad a taste - not meant to offend!
Reply 15
lol well the fact that you go through hell, makes the end so much sweeter I guess. Keep on fighting. What would you rather do?

Live to be brilliant. Even if you get culled, you may aswell go down fighting. Fight through the mist :smile:
I feel as though university try to make you think really creatively, conceptual and all that rubbish. ITS A TRICK.

in the real world, most of the architecture is mass produced generic commericial properties or residential houses. they don't give two toots about conceptual architecture, most clients want to have buildings that can generate X amount of profits for the X amount of space.

despite knowing all of this, I still want to do it because i will still get satisfaction if im working on a masterplan for a residential housing estate, or a house extension.

I think those who thought architecture was a glamour profession where they can design pretty expensive buildings will be mistaken once they realise this isn't the true reality for everyone.
these students drop out/ change courses eventually. :smile:

haha i love how everyone on this thread just talk negatively about architecture. Architect students complain too much!
Reply 17
I've got a feeling i'm going to lose my nerve pretty soon.

I hate being such a wuss lol
Reply 18
yeahyeahyeahs
I feel as though university try to make you think really creatively, conceptual and all that rubbish. ITS A TRICK.

in the real world, most of the architecture is mass produced generic commericial properties or residential houses. they don't give two toots about conceptual architecture, most clients want to have buildings that can generate X amount of profits for the X amount of space.

despite knowing all of this, I still want to do it because i will still get satisfaction if im working on a masterplan for a residential housing estate, or a house extension.

I think those who thought architecture was a glamour profession where they can design pretty expensive buildings will be mistaken once they realise this isn't the true reality for everyone.
these students drop out/ change courses eventually. :smile:

haha i love how everyone on this thread just talk negatively about architecture. Architect students complain too much!

Norman Foster can jog on .. My hero is Sarah Beeny. She makes money not art.

I am going to do up some terraced houses and makes loads of brass.

Reply 19
I loved it when i came across an appropriately named group on facebook...

"I Dont Need Sex....Architecture ****s Me Up Everyday of the Week"

Sums it up really. Erm, so, thats going to be next year...Great.

Quick Reply

Latest