The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

0404343m
Definitely. I work for NHS24, so I don't like to scaremonger unnecessarily- but its something that needs to be checked. Coffee-ground vomit goes hand-in-hand with liver problems, and while it may just be a tear from the actual vomiting, and thus not be something which is all that serious, it still should be looked at in more detail.

In this case it likely doesn't need checking.
You haven't asked any pertinent questions such as how much blood and whether it was with the first vomit, or only subsequent vomit.

In young people its common to get a little bit of blood when you have a vom session. likely only a tablespoon or two in quantity.
Similary people who have a nasty cold will often cough up small amounts of blood.

Its just small amounts of bleeding from the surface of your foodpipe (vomiting) or the back of your throat (coughing).
Reply 21
WarmEye
I puked some blood last night after going slightly overboard with the drinking but feel perfectly fine as of right now. our family doesn't have health insurance so should i just ignore it or is this seriously something to be worried about and see a doctor for?

How much blood was it?
Reply 22
Jamie
In this case it likely doesn't need checking.
You haven't asked any pertinent questions such as how much blood and whether it was with the first vomit, or only subsequent vomit.

In young people its common to get a little bit of blood when you have a vom session. likely only a tablespoon or two in quantity.
Similary people who have a nasty cold will often cough up small amounts of blood.

Its just small amounts of bleeding from the surface of your foodpipe (vomiting) or the back of your throat (coughing).

Apologies- I thought I made that clear on the 'tear from the process of vomiting' in an earlier post, but it may be ambiguous. Not entirely sure about the volume of blood. More blood from higher up is less serious that a potentially lesser amount from further down- and patients are notoriously bad as to what constitutes a few teaspoons across what they've thrown up (usually while drunk). They're better at the colour test though, which is arguably more important. It's likely nothing- but if it was a dark red/coffee-ground, I'd be packing them off to see someone regardless- but the OP didn't reply so we could establish that.

I see you're a doctor- qualified long? A couple of my mates are loving the endless shifts for buttons right now that junior doctors get, while if its anything like some of the GPs I work with, they just like to moan perennially about how hard their life is. I went down the 'real' doctor route (my mate Steve is a clinical lecturer, and always winds his students up about him having MbChB and a Ph.D, thus meaning he's a 'proper' doctor), and went for the barrell of fun that is the research degree, not even due to start until September, and regretting it already.
2 years, and yes the hours hurt, the pay hurts more and the patients sometimes hurt worse of all.
wouldn't change it for the world though.

Latest