The Student Room Group

The Literary Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Here are some of the last books I read in the past week:

East of Eden by John Steinbeck
A beautiful classic book, showing the most ambitious work of Steinbeck in his life.

The clique by Lisi Harrison
The most sh** book on the planet. Don't ever read it. Honestly.

The Greatest American Essays of the 21st century
Sounds tedious, but is actually enlightening and very interesting. A long read, though.
Reply 41
erm... wilbur smith is a safe bet for something exciting, heroic and slightly romantic...

i loved when the lion feeds and monsoon...

ooh, try memoirs of a geisha, its really beautiful to read.

philip pullman et al are also really good, but most of you already know that...
yo-less
This is a thread for books,authors,your fav genres in literature etc
feel free to recomend books you like,and if you can be bothered,give a short summary of them.refrain from fibbing though :rolleyes:

I was wondering whether anyone reads James Paterson here.i read this book by him called "When The Wind Blows' and i liked it.is there a sequel?
and also,i was wondering about new stuff by Terry Pratchett?i'm abit dissapointed there wern't more in the Johnny Maxwell series :frown:

Did James Patterson write Pop Goes The Weasel and Roses Are Red?

I enjoyed the former more than the latter. It sort of ended too soon (a bit like the film The Village") more could have been done with it.

I'm a big fan of the Lee Child books, i've read all of them so far :smile: I like crime/thriller books mostly
Reply 43
Great thread - I love talking about books!!

Here's a short list of my favourites, I've limited myself to ten, which was extremely difficult -

The Roses of No Mans Land Lyn MacDonald
1984 George Orwell
Brave New World Aldous Huxley
We - Yevgeny Zamyatin
The Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas Hunter Thompson
Catch 22 Joseph Heller
The Grapes of Wrath John Steinbeck
Player Piano Kurt Vonnegut
Lord of the Flies William Golding
Reply 44
milady

I own the Bartimaus trilogy :smile: (or the first two books anyway, has the third come out?). I like bartimaus the best, i thought there was not enough of him in the second one, and too much of kitty (she was ok, but she wasn't bartimaus).

i think nathaniel is great!oily greasy haired contemptous bastard!
why do i like him? :confused:
Reply 45
xXMessedUpXx
Did James Patterson write Pop Goes The Weasel and Roses Are Red?

what a coincidence!i'm reading Roses Are Red right now.just started it;i'm at the part where they've hijacked the tour bus

anyways,has anyone read anything by Cornelia Funke and Phillip Pullman?(<other then His Dark materials obviously)
Reply 46
yo-less
what a coincidence!i'm reading Roses Are Red right now.just started it;i'm at the part where they've hijacked the tour bus

anyways,has anyone read anything by Cornelia Funke and Phillip Pullman?(<other then His Dark materials obviously)

I started reading the other Pullman books, but found them a little boring. That was a while ago now though, perhpas I should try again.
Reply 47
staylor
I started reading the other Pullman books, but found them a little boring. That was a while ago now though, perhpas I should try again.

yes,i always thought His Dark Materials was far superior to the rest.same with Jonathan Stroud;The Bartimaeus Trilogy is so much better than Buried Fire and The Leap.

oh,i just read Ark Angel - finally!!

is there a book after The Lake House(james Paterson)?(<the one about the winged children,the 1rst book was called When The Wind Blows)
Reply 48
medic_bex

ooh, try memoirs of a geisha, its really beautiful to read.

philip pullman et al are also really good, but most of you already know that...

Memoirs of a Geisha...I remember that one. Haven't reread it in a while.

Also 'nine lives of Chloe King' was a fun read. Slightly surreal, very kick ass.
Reply 49
yo-less
yes,i always thought His Dark Materials was far superior to the rest.same with Jonathan Stroud;The Bartimaeus Trilogy is so much better than Buried Fire and The Leap.

oh,i just read Ark Angel - finally!!

is there a book after The Lake House(james Paterson)?(<the one about the winged children,the 1rst book was called When The Wind Blows)

I didnt know there were any more Stroud books :p:

What did you think of Ark Angel
Reply 50
staylor
I didnt know there were any more Stroud books :p:

What did you think of Ark Angel

Ark Angel was good.though i would've liked him to die.he's been too lucky...and luck has to run out.same for harry potter.i'm waiting for him to drop dead any moment now :eek:

people;lets keep this soc alive!!surely Staylor,Icefleur and i arn't the only online nerds? :rolleyes:
Reply 51
yo-less
Ark Angel was good.though i would've liked him to die.he's been too lucky...and luck has to run out.same for harry potter.i'm waiting for him to drop dead any moment now :eek:

people;lets keep this soc alive!!surely Staylor,Icefleur and i arn't the only online nerds? :rolleyes:

Especially on TSR - you'd have thought this would be the largest nerd meeting place on the Internet :rolleyes: :biggrin:
Reply 52
staylor
Especially on TSR - you'd have thought this would be the largest nerd meeting place on the Internet :rolleyes: :biggrin:

careful!!they have pitchforks!
staylor

Well, just because we are nerds doesn't mean we read a lot of books (although saying that I do).
Reply 54
juueru_chou
Well, just because we are nerds doesn't mean we read a lot of books (although saying that I do).

whats your fav book/s?
yo-less
whats your fav book/s?

I would actually say the silmarillion, although I enjoyed reading LOTR and the unfinished tales as well.
Reply 56
yo-less

You aren't I just haven't read any of the books you are talking about and so would feel wrong even trying to comment on them. =X
Reply 57
oooh, I highly recommend 'Perdido Street Station' for any sci-fi or fantasy fants. I'm reading it at the moment and it's so macabre and weird, it's awesome :-)
Reply 58
Luize
You aren't I just haven't read any of the books you are talking about and so would feel wrong even trying to comment on them. =X

but you can always start a conversation about something else.i always thought there should be a subforum for books and since there isnt,i created the soc.feel free to say anything on your mind!
well,not anything :wink:
Reply 59
YO-LESS
ARE you ignoring me now? have i scared you? i tried to warn you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending