The Student Room Group

Universities that accept BTEC's

Basically guys in Year 12 and 13 I'm going to be doing a BTEC National Certificate in Sports Studies, NVQ Football Coaching and an A-Level in English Language so I'll be applying to university with points instead of your typical BBB or whatever. So basically I was just wondering what universities accept BTEC's or is there a list somewhere?

I plan on doing a Sports Studies degree then followed by a PGCE in Physical Education.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Look on UCAS website, on course search.
Reply 2
There's no list, you have to drag yourself through all of the uni websites. Then email all of the ones that don't specify a firm yes or no.

It's a bitch, I had to do it for my BND ICT and Maths A level.
erm..don't even think about any top 10...possibly even top 20 unis...none of them take BTECs...as far as I know...
Reply 4
I should imagine most, if not all uni's that offer sport studies as a degree would accept an ND diploma for entry.
Reply 5
Erm, I'm at Loughborough and they accepted my BTEC as it was related to my course. I had to combine it with an A-Level though, but I only did the National Certificate so I needed that to get the points offer.
Reply 6
I think most do apart from the top 5-10 or so. But for your course if you did something related at uni, they are more than likely going to accept a BTEC. Just look at the uni websites you're interested in and check their entry requirements.
Reply 7
Thanks everyone.
Reply 8
yes there is some universities that accept that qaulification. e.g LMU,MMU but it depends on entirely on which course you want to do. so i would suggest looking on the ucas site.
:smile:
I know two people at my school who applied for medicine with BTEC triple award in science+ one non-scientific A level. Both have had interviews and maybe offers. No one doing A levels in year 13 has a med interview. Go on UCAS and check what uni's technically accept them for your chosen course- if they do then if you get distinctions and have good enough GCSE's you will have a chance at some 15-30 ranked unis.
can the person who just negged me at least have the balls to say who they are and why....I only said that top 10 unis dont accept BTECs as far as I am aware....rather immature and petty thing to neg someone over...
Reply 11
infernalcradle
can the person who just negged me at least have the balls to say who they are and why....I only said that top 10 unis dont accept BTECs as far as I am aware....rather immature and petty thing to neg someone over...

Lol.

You were only stating a fact.
Reply 12
I think nearly all Universities accept BTEC, except for top unis like Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, and King's College
Reply 13
It doesn't matter if you have BTEC or A Level, with the UCAS system they give you points for what grade you get, I did BTEC and finished with triple distinction which by UCAS terms gave me over 350 points.
If you go on the ucas website when you click on a university it usually tells you how many points and grades e.g (ABB, AAA etc) you require to have a chance of getting into that specific university.

Best of luck.
Reply 14
Original post by infernalcradle
can the person who just negged me at least have the balls to say who they are and why.... I only said that top 10 unis dont accept BTECs as far as I am aware....rather immature and petty thing to neg someone over...

You gave wrong information, presumably motivated by prejudice rather than just ignorance (given that it is a statement you could very easily have checked). Several "top 10 unis" accept BTECs for some courses. For example see UCL.

For a degree like Sports studies (that the OP wants to study), most of them will accept a BTEC. Except possibly University of Bath.
Lancaster accepts BTECs and some courses in Manchester Uni do as well :smile:
Perhaps not the top of the top, but Lancaster made me an offer (granted, I have to pass with two distinctions and a merit).

My teacher wrote me an incredible reference though, which may have helped.
Reply 17
Uni of Hertfordshire does, I know because my friend's boyfriend goes there and he did the same course to you
Reply 18
Original post by infernalcradle
erm..don't even think about any top 10...possibly even top 20 unis...none of them take BTECs...as far as I know...

Another person speaking rubbish on this site...

University of York - One of the best University in the country. They take BTEC students?
Reply 19
95% of unis in 2017 are now taking btec as they are now equal or even more developed than traditional a levels, they are so popular now you see adverts everywhere but never on a levels, besides btec teach you practical, technical and professional knowledge by doing coursework, tests, portfolios, projects, presentations, exams, reports, research case studies and more which its now a trending qualification because you now get students who can do same as A level students and even more doing btec, but personally depends which one, i did engineering which is the hardest one you can do and its far more than just exams in that 2 year high diploma.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending