The Student Room Group

How to say why I want to work for a charity?

I am attempting to fill out a job application form for a role within a charity ( a local children's hospice) and I am struggling to say why I want to work for them without sounding overly cheesy. Anyone have any suggestions?
Original post by sarahlousie
I am attempting to fill out a job application form for a role within a charity ( a local children's hospice) and I am struggling to say why I want to work for them without sounding overly cheesy. Anyone have any suggestions?

What's, the role fundraising?

I would mention some generic things about why you would like the job.

For a childrens hospice: say you are committed to the cause of enhancing the lives of life limited children. Basically look at their website find out what they do and copy it.

I used to work for a childrens hospice, obviously it was very rewarding supporting the children and their families. But is was great opening the minds of the local community an general public. You wouldnt believe the amount of people that think a childrens hospice is all about death and grieving. So I liked changing perceptions and introducing volunteers to the happiness of fundraising
Reply 2
To counter the cheesy make sure you also add why you think the role would help you in your career.

If it's a part-time or unskilled position or one which probably wont form the basis for your career in the long term, then pick some skills its likely to allow you to develop and mention a desire to develop those skills.

It shows that you have a personal stake in the position beyond the trite sounding committment to the charity.
Reply 3
Original post by livingston
To counter the cheesy make sure you also add why you think the role would help you in your career.

If it's a part-time or unskilled position or one which probably wont form the basis for your career in the long term, then pick some skills its likely to allow you to develop and mention a desire to develop those skills.

It shows that you have a personal stake in the position beyond the trite sounding committment to the charity.

Thanks for the advice, I actually do want to work in charity fundraising and events for a career though so it really would benefit my career!
Reply 4
Great.

I recommend talking about why you want it as a career. Every single person applying will say 'I want to help people'. Use this opportunity to demonstrate a specific reason why you want the position, as well as a deeper understanding of the sector...

So things like 'I'm seeking a challenging role and I know just how challenging fundraising for a charity can be in the current climate will be - I would relish the opportunity to face that challenge and to develop the skills to do so effectively' etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending