The Student Room Group

Malia, Zante, Kavos, Ayia Napa or Magaluf?

I'm going on a girls holiday 2012 and was thinking of going to Kavos, but after reading reviews about it stinking has put us off. I'd like atleast 1 day relaxing on the beach to get a tan, but apparantly the beach is a **** hole.

Our next choice is Malia, after seeing a Youtube video of the strip. The whole set up looks alot better, and seemed more packed and lively. I heard the beach wasn't too bad either.

Then again, we wouldn't mind going to Ayia Napa either!

We pretty much want to go somewhere that's really packed for a good atmosphere and cheap.

Please share your experiences, so we can try to make a decision. I know there are Booze Cruises for the day, but is there anything else to do apart from those? How late are the pubs/clubs open too? We want to be up all night partying!

Also, any hotels we should go to/avoid?

Is 500 euros enough spending money for a week, we will want self catering and probably would just go to Mcdonalds or something.

Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated!
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This seems like an exhaustive list of all the holidays visited on trueLAD.com
In order of preference to places I've been:

Kavos
Malia
Zante
Magaluf

Are the traditional party places, but Albufeira in Portugal is my favourite destination for a group holiday.
I want to go Magaluf...but my girlfriend isn't too happy about it. :ninja:

Sticking to Barcelona instead; it's a good compromise of sun, beaches, shopping, places to see, and a good time without all the booze, sex, sti's, etc. :h:
Reply 4
Thought about Bulgaria? Supposed to be pretty good.
Reply 5
Just got back from ayia napa, and went to malia last year so I can give my opinion on them anyway :smile:

Malia was good but other than clubs and bars there really isnt much else to the place, the beach is great [or so we thought at the time] but thats it really. The main plus point to malia is that it is very cheap, clubs are free entry etc. but this meant that some clubs could end up being a bit dead as people didnt feel obliged to stay as they didnt have to pay entry. We stayed at yiannos manos which I highly recommend, its about 5-10mins walk from the main strip and is a generally nice place to stay

Ayia Napa took Malia to a whole new level, the place is much bigger and the atmosphere there is just 'happy', before we went there we heard so many horror stories but I never saw any of this. Its a little pricier than malia but a decent pre-drinks can lower the cost. There is a nice range of clubs and bars too, so if you get sick of funky or dance there are other options, which was nice (: In terms of other things to do there is plenty, during the day there are constantly PR's wandering around trying to sell you things, usually you can tell if you are getting conned, we went on the bar crawl which was probably our best night as you are guarenteed to be in a packed bar where ever you go (and you get a free t-shirt) some of our group went on the booze cruise too which sounded amazing but as its in the afternoon it kinda stops you from going out that night as usually you've KO'd by the time you get back to the hotel. We stayed at tsokkos holiday apartments which was basically a 24hour party fun at first but if you don't get the best of rooms the music can grate, we had a quiet room away from the music so sleeping wasnt an issue. There is plently to other than this with nissi beach being amazing, with lotso water sports etc. Also the nightlife in napa goes on until later than malia with plenty of after party clubs etc. that are open until like 9 in the morning.

I havent been to Zante but know quite a few people who have been there and the term the groups tended to use to sum the place up was 'cock-fest' so make your own conclusions (:

Any other questions I will be happy to answer :smile:
Reply 6
Nice, thanks John!

How much would spending money would you need in both places?

Also, I can't swim. :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by JonathanDuhamel
I want to go Magaluf...but my girlfriend isn't too happy about it. :ninja:

Sticking to Barcelona instead; it's a good compromise of sun, beaches, shopping, places to see, and a good time without all the booze, sex, sti's, etc. :h:

I went to Barca instead of Zante for the same reasons (except for the booze bit :wink:). Make sure you check out some of the clubs - they're absolutely awesome, notably Razzmatazz - 5 clubs within 1 :eek:
Original post by therealOG
I went to Barca instead of Zante for the same reasons (except for the booze bit :wink:). Make sure you check out some of the clubs - they're absolutely awesome, notably Razzmatazz - 5 clubs within 1 :eek:

By booze I meant drinking games off each others crotches lol, the sort of stuff that happens in Magaluf, my gf wouldn't be too pleased about that :laugh:

But noted, will check it out :wink:
Reply 9
Original post by JonathanDuhamel
By booze I meant drinking games off each others crotches lol, the sort of stuff that happens in Magaluf, my gf wouldn't be too pleased about that :laugh:

But noted, will check it out :wink:

Ah right. Okay, that's not my kinda thing either lol

Yeah, defo check out the clubs on offer - that's what Barca's nightlife is famous for (that and going on till 5/6am). And make sure you do a bar crawl. They're pretty cheap (15 euros for 2/3 bars and a club at the end, with free shots at each bar), and it's good fun. The flyers make it out like there'll be those types of drinking games you mentioned but there weren't any when we went on them.
Definitely Ayia Napa. I've been to Magaluf too and enjoyed myself (and am going again in a week), but Ayia Napa is the biggest resort from your list and is just amazing. It was my first group holiday and we had the best time. We've been 3 times and still not been to all the bars and clubs.
Reply 11
Can only speak for Magaluf, and that was great. But generally sun+booze+music+members of opposite sex=win
Reply 12
Original post by Kizza

Original post by Kizza
Nice, thanks John!

How much would spending money would you need in both places?

Also, I can't swim. :frown:

We were working on a tight budget on both holidays;

In malia I spent 350 euros in a week with self catering and Ayia Napa I somehow only managed to spend 320 euros in 8 days once again self catering.

I wouldnt say I was budgeting in both holidays but I had to think before i spent, but at not one point on a night out did I run out of money. If I'm honest I would say 500-600 euros for a week would be perfect then you don't need to think about what you are spending and can be reckless which is what these kind of holidays are about :smile:

Ahh you don't need to be able to swim to enjoy the sea, nissi in ayia napa was waist height for quite a way out and I don't think I swam at any point in either holiday anyway due to lack sleep and such like
Reply 13
I've just got back from 2 weeks in Malia.

Had a fantastic time, but they have currently stopped all drinks deals this year.

I went a few years back and for about €5 you could get 2-4-1 or 4-4-1 plus some shots.

Now this year every bar has to follow minimum prices with no 2-4-1:

€3 Bottled Beer
€4 Draught Beer
€5 Spirit with mixer
€5-6 Cocktail
€3 A shot - Sambuka, Vodka

Most clubs are free entry but you can add €1 on to the top of most of those prices.

This has lead to people buying spirits/beer from the supermarket and drinking at the hotel beforehand, so the strip is dead until about midnight.

Not sure if this will last as the bars are struggling to get people in as they go straight to the clubs.
I've heard that about Malia from a few other people too, couldn't believe it! The drinks deals on holiday are always amazing, can't imagine paying proper prices for the alcohol!
Reply 15
Ive lived in Faliraki and Malia and can say that Malia is by far the best place, dont be put off by the no drinks deals, 500 euros is enough for a week self catering, im going to malia in 2 weeks and only bringing 450 euros, you just drink before you go out, dont go to ayia napa, its bloody expensive, both for accomodation and drinks, havent been to the other places but I hear that magaluf is wild, a lot less strict than greek places, im half greek and can tell you that the police in greece take no prisoners when it comes to idiots, so at least you'll be safe!
Reply 16
Original post by hannahdaisy
I've heard that about Malia from a few other people too, couldn't believe it! The drinks deals on holiday are always amazing, can't imagine paying proper prices for the alcohol!

Last year in Malia I got 3 watered down spirits for 5 euros, this year I get 1 strong spirit for 5 euros, you're getting EXACTLY the same for your money it just seems like you arent, but I do agree its crap about no deals. Im going back in 2 weeks too.
Reply 17
What about Ibiza? Is that any good?
Ive been to Zante and Magaluf. JUst got back from Magaluf.

Zante beats Magaluf hands down. The vibe in Maga in my opinion was a bit scummier than Zante. Also found the drink deals to be alot worse.
Reply 19
Pfft, Benidorm.

Quick Reply